Sign in to follow this  
Donald Trump

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood Spoiler Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, wasted said:

I saw it twice on the flight, going to go for 3 on the way back. Flight hostesses thought I was some kind of psycho ordering bloody Mary’s, cognac and margaritas. Air France what a bunch of wasters. 6 vsops and Tarantino for the win. 

based

There wasn’t much of a narrative drive, it was more discovering that it was about saving the two buddies career. But is that just an art narrative? Explore the characters and the narrative is decided by chance/fate. The whole thing is about careers in Hollywood being decided by chance. Cliff was rumored to shoot his wife. Margot Robbie shows how vain everyone is in Hollywood.Dalton is tortured. Polanski set are flying high but fate is coming in the form of Manson. With Tarantino it seems like a get out of jail card though. But this time seems to make sense. The whole ranch scene is to just tie the two worlds together but that is how it was back then. Tarantino movies are like puzzles you get in a Christmas cracker. But that’s not How I watched it, it was more like this open travel movie, like on a guided tour of 60s Hollywood. Tarantino movies are like the new Bond movies. 

13 hours ago, Donald Trump said:

Watching Cliff make kraft dinner was great. It is those little touches that make this movie so fun to watch.

It all means something too. His Dog control comes into play later and Kraft dinner beer thing and his wreck car sort of show he’s just enjoying himself. He’s cool because he’s come to terms with Hollywood. Then he beats Bruce Lee up. He’s happy in his role as a tough guy. Tarantino wants to be Cliff so bad. 

You also see the flame thrower in Rick's shed when Cliff gets some tools out of it to fix Rick's tv antenna. Cliff is probably Tarantino's all time coolest character. He's so cool that you still love him even if he killed his nagging wife.

Pacino's description of how Rick's tv career was playing out was bang on too: "Down goes you and up goes them." 

I don't get why people care so much about narrative. It's unnecessary when you've got such great characters. The themes they explore such as reaching middle age, eras ending, careers rising, and careers fading are far more interesting than any hero's journey narrative. And Tarantino has single handedly stolen Sharon Tate back from the Manson family and restored her image as a beautiful young lady with a promising life and career ahead of her. The scene of her going to the movie theater to watch her own movie was so great. Tarantino said that he purposely decided not to make Sharon a Tarantino character and that is why she had very little dialogue. He wanted to portray her as a real person enjoying their life and rise to stardom. 

Another cool thing to watch for. The arrows on the streets and in the parking lots. In the beginning Rick and Cliff leave the restaurant after the Pacino meeting through the entrance which represents them being on the way out. And then near the end of the movie Sharon and her friends pull in to to the Mexican restaurant using the wrong lane which represents that even though they are on the inside of Hollywood they are about to get murdered and be on their way out of this world. Meanwhile Rick and Cliff pull into their Mexican restaurant with the arrow facing the right way for the first time which means all is good and Rick's career is going to be back on track. I guess I could be wrong but I doubt it. Pretty sure that was intentional on Tarantino's part.

20 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

If I recall he let him improv the whole trailer scene as well when he's chewing himself out.

That's cool. I didn't know that. I just figured Tarantino wrote that scene after they decided to go with DiCaprio's idea about flubbing the lines.

The drinking in this movie is top notch. My booze don't need no buddy. Reminds me of Jack in Easy Rider. 

33 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

You also see the flame thrower in Rick's shed when Cliff gets some tools out of it to fix Rick's tv antenna. Cliff is probably Tarantino's all time coolest character. He's so cool that you still love him even if he killed his nagging wife.

Pacino's description of how Rick's tv career was playing out was bang on to: "Down goes you and up goes them." 

I don't get why people care so much about narrative. It's unnecessary when you've got such great characters. The themes they explore such as reaching middle age, eras ending, careers rising, and careers fading are far more interesting than any hero's journey narrative. And Tarantino has single handedly stolen Sharon Tate back from the Manson family and restored her image as a beautiful young lady with a promising life and career ahead of her. The scene of her going to the movie theater to watch her own movie was so great. Tarantino said that he purposely decided not to make Sharon a Tarantino character and that is why she had very little dialogue. He wanted to portray her as a real person enjoying their life and rise to stardom. 

Another cool thing to watch for. The arrows on the streets and in the parking lots. In the beginning Rick and Cliff leave the restaurant after the Pacino meeting through the entrance which represents them being on the way out. And then near the end of the movie Sharon and her friends pull in to to the Mexican restaurant using the out lane which represents that even though they are on the inside of Hollywood they are about to get murdered and be on their way out of this world. Meanwhile Rick and Cliff pull into their Mexican restaurant with the arrow facing the right way for the first time which means all is good and Rick's career is going to be back on track. I guess I could be wrong but I doubt it. Pretty sure that was intentional on Tarantino's part.

Bill Burroughs killled his wife too, seems understandable. You get the feeling that it’s been lifted from another movie. Bad motherfuckers kill they wives. 

I think the casual narrative gives people that feeling of momentum. Something you might associate with the characters Tarantino uses. Crime thrillers etc. people are biased against QT because they like suspense movies and art narratives but because he mixes it will spaghetti westerns or whatever genre they won’t allow it. It is weird to use Godard as a style then use B movie characters and cult references. 

I’ll follow the arrows. It makes sense as the movie being about Hollywood careers. They didn’t bank on Manson having longevity. 

16 hours ago, magisme said:

It was just OK. There were a handful of legit great scenes.

I think I feel that way about most Tarantino.

😘

Now I'm worried I'm gonna think Joker is shit too. I was hyped for this, despite my lukewarm feelings on Tarantino. Leo and Brad are my boys.

I downloaded that too. I need to be in the right mood to watch it. I just wanted something big and fun. Brad Pitt playing Brad Pitt is always charming. He's kinda like Bruce Willis in that way. Tortured Leo is cool too. There just wasn't enough movie for them to work with. Unless you jerk off to Hollywood on the daily, there's a lot of boring.

21 minutes ago, magisme said:

I downloaded that too. I need to be in the right mood to watch it. I just wanted something big and fun. Brad Pitt playing Brad Pitt is always charming. He's kinda like Bruce Willis in that way. Tortured Leo is cool too. There just wasn't enough movie for them to work with. Unless you jerk off to Hollywood on the daily, there's a lot of boring.

the lighthouse is really good actually, but if you watch the first 5 minutes you'll think you're watching some art student's wet dream project

the first time i watched OUATIH a lot of it flew over my head as i wasn't versed on all of the manson shit, but it was still a fun ride. on rewatch it all came together and became an instant resident of my "rewatch once a year" list

Mags it’s a blast to watch a true feel good watch.

You will like once upon a time on hollywood. It’s the best Tarantino movie since kill bill.

4 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

You will like once upon a time on hollywood. It’s the best Tarantino movie since kill bill.

Really? Over both Django and 8? I respectfully call bullshit. Getting raped with a pipe is better than Death Proof.

7 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

I already watched it. I didn't like it much.

3 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Really? Over both Django and 8? I respectfully call bullshit. Getting raped with a pipe is better than Death Proof.

Why do people like Hateful 8? I thought it was trash. Easily my least favorite Tarantino. Django was pretty good.

10 hours ago, magisme said:

Now I'm worried I'm gonna think Joker is shit too. I was hyped for this, despite my lukewarm feelings on Tarantino. Leo and Brad are my boys.

Joker is good but not worthy of the hype. I was expecting something amazing from the reviews. 

I thought Joker was a dull slog to get to the last 20 minutes.  Some pretty colors....some cool shots of the guy dancing around in make-up.....but that's about it.   Not worth the hype, in my opinion.

Here's something cool just for my favorite niggaz....

I clipped this out of an Entertainment Weekly over 20 years ago.  A pic of Quentin Tarantino drawn by Matt Groening (or maybe one of his underlings.)  What's not to love?   Two of my favorite things, in one picture!!

ZknD3Bn.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Are Brad Pitt, Leo Dicaprio and Tom Cruise the only genuine movie stars in existence today?

Hey there, you seem to have forgotten Duane "The Rock" Johnson!?