Sign in to follow this  
ludurigan

Lenny Kravitz: "We went over to my studio on the packed train to Jersey. I think Slash had been honing that riff"

0bd7c44748c3d044dd30d5aba96d1fe7.jpg

Lenny Kravitz talks about the day he and Slash wrote and recorded Always on The Run

source: http://www.musicradar.com/news/lenny-kravitz-are-you-gonna-go-my-way-happened-in-five-minutes

“Slash and I went to high school together, but we hadn’t seen each other since. When my first album was out, I went to the American Music Awards and Guns N’ Roses were getting awards [for Appetite For Destruction and Favorite Heavy Metal Artist, 1990] and they were sitting in front of me. He and I just kept looking at each other like, ‘I know you… Not ‘I know that you’re Lenny Kravitz and you’re Slash’ - but, like, I know you.’

“Then we realised we knew each other from school. So we started talking and were excited to meet each other again, especially the fact we were both making music. I was doing some overdub sessions for Mama Said, so he came in and played the solo on Fields Of Joy. It was a one-take solo and he wanted to play it over again, but I wouldn’t let him. I always love first takes.

“Anyway, we discussed doing something else together, like, ‘Okay, that was fun, but now let’s write a song together.’ Guns were finishing a tour in Europe and Slash called me and said, ‘I’m going to jump on Concorde. I’ll be in New York at 8:30 in the morning - let’s go in the studio and do something.’ So he showed up at my house at 9am or whatever, after landing, and we then went over to my studio on the subway, on the train, the packed train that goes to New Jersey.

“We started to jam and that riff to Always On The Run ended up coming out. I actually think he had been honing it before he got there. The song just wrote itself. To cut the track, he played the riff, I was on the drums. So it was just guitar and drums - that was it - and we got through the take and then I played my guitar part, which is the counter-rhythm part. Then I played the bass. He played his solo and then I wrote the horn arrangement, had the horn players come in and that was that. Did the vocals. It was a great session. Really fluid, it was very quick and spontaneous. That’s how that went down.”

anyone knows date and location of the performance below?

Edited by ludurigan

16 minutes ago, MillerGNR said:

I can't listen to a song by this guy but that riff was cool. 

i wonder if they recorded the whole jam session and if there is any other cool shit on it

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

anyone knows date and location of the performance below?

Feb 19th 2012. MGM Vegas. It was charity event to raise money for "Keep Memory Alive Foundation" 

1 minute ago, downwithhope said:

The only song on hell's jukebox is American Woman by Lenny Kravitz. He's like the Foo Fighters. Rock music for people who hate rock.

I like the foo fighters too !!!!!

2 hours ago, Deadstar said:

Feb 19th 2012. MGM Vegas. It was charity event to raise money for "Keep Memory Alive Foundation" 

thanks!

do you know if Slash ever jammed with him on other songs?

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

thanks!

Don't know but Slash, Myles and Haley Reinhart performed Wild Horses, it's on YouTube.

4 hours ago, downwithhope said:

The only song on hell's jukebox is American Woman by Lenny Kravitz. He's like the Foo Fighters. Rock music for people who hate rock.

He’s kind of like Jimi Hendrix meets John Lennon especially on Let Love Rule. It’s pop rock. Terence Trent D’arby for the 90s. 

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

thanks!

I remember him doing Brick by Brick with Iggy. Slash was on that single Home. 

Edited by wasted

Terence Trent D'Arby is way more talented. Lenny has talent but he's aped so much shit from other musicians who came before him. Terence has recorded some really cool and unique albums. Lenny gives me Oprah appearance shit-chills.

Edited by downwithhope

2 minutes ago, downwithhope said:

Terence Trent D'Arby is way more talented. Lenny has talent but he's aped so much shit from other musicians who came before him. Terence has recorded some really cool and unique albums. Lenny gives me Oprah appearance shit-chills.

2 hours ago, downwithhope said:

Neither are Prince. 

1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

I agree with Mr. Ragnar. Kravitz is pretty bad.

Oh no my young friend Lenny is the shit

my friend that is some prime fucking music

59 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

Oh no my young friend Lenny is the shit

my friend that is some prime fucking music

Good song.

another great lenny’ tune: