Sign in to follow this  
ludurigan

Long-ass corporate interview [Duff McKagan with Milana (Rabkin) Lewis | Upfront Summit 2019]

I'm gonna watch it until Duff says something retarded. Then I will post the retarded thing he said with timestamp.

8 hours ago, magisme said:

"I came up in the punk rock scene of Seattle."

0:48

No way...I can’t bring myself to watch, but also can’t bring myself to believe he’d say something so shit

Do you think Kurt Cobain would be doing this kinda shit if he was alive?

I mean that honestly. Like, why are all these 90s rockstars like Axl, Duff, Dave Grohl, even Eddie Vedder so blatantly corporate now?

44 minutes ago, Bobbo said:

No way...I can’t bring myself to watch, but also can’t bring myself to believe he’d say something so shit

Check it out. You'll only have to listen for like 3 seconds while he says it.

1 hour ago, magisme said:

Check it out. You'll only have to listen for like 3 seconds while he says it.

Good god 😂

5 hours ago, Miser said:

I mean that honestly. Like, why are all these 90s rockstars like Axl, Duff, Dave Grohl, even Eddie Vedder so blatantly corporate now?

Kurt Cobain rebelled against everything and I think suicide was his only option to rebel against age. 

So to answer your question, no. 

Kurt was the proto type shit millennial.  OOOooOOO I’m sooo edgy. OOOooOOO I’m so unique. OOOooOOO fuck corporate rock. OOOooOOO I don’t give a shit about commercial success. OOOooOOO yeah I’m on the cover of rolling stone, but, in like a cool way. OOOooOOO...oh fuck the kids like us now, how do we keep this going? OOOooOOO, how do we stay relevant?? OOOooOOO stop looking at me!!!! OOOooOOO I’m on rolling stone again, still looking at me??

even his suicide was shit since everyone knows Courtney did it. Fuck him.

Edited by Bobbo

1 minute ago, Bobbo said:

Kurt was the proto type shit millennial.  OOOooOOO I’m sooo edgy. OOOooOOO I’m so unique. OOOooOOO fuck corporate rock. OOOooOOO I don’t give a shit about commercial success. OOOooOOO yeah I’m on the cover of rolling stone, but, in like a cool way. OOOooOOO...oh fuck the kids like us now, how do we keep this going? OOOooOOO, how do we stay relevant?? OOOooOOO stop looking at me!!!!

True. He was an attention seeking whore. Supposedly despised "corporate Rock" but somehow signed a deal with a major recording label and shot multi-million dollar videos.

12 hours ago, Miser said:

If you’re still alive you are obviously a sell out. 

9 hours ago, Ragnar said:

True. He was an attention seeking whore. Supposedly despised "corporate Rock" but somehow signed a deal with a major recording label and shot multi-million dollar videos.

Bingo. Kunt Cobain courted fame, money and success, then pretended he was too cool for any of those things. He deserved a rancid fleabag like Courtney.

I don't think he was that brilliant though. I think he was limited to one kind of music and he would repeat the same formula over and over until people got sick of Nirvana (as he was doing already). Don't see him as the kind of musician able to reinvent himself. Way overrated, punk as Duff.

somebody transcribed some of it

(http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/duff_mckagan_what_my_life_was_like_before_guns_n_roses.html)

During a conversation with Milana Rabkin Lewis, Duff McKagan talked about his life prior to joining Guns N' Roses, the band's early days, and more.

Asked on what his life was like before GN'R, the bassist replied (via Blabbermouth😞

"I came up in the punk-rock scene of Seattle. I saw The Clash in '79, a band that was so exotic to me. I saw Zeppelin in '77 play [the now-demolished Seattle stadium] The Kingdome. It was enormous, and the band was so small and so far away.

"I saw some other big bands - KISS and whatnot - and the punk rock thing hit, and The Clash were playing right in front of me.

"After the show, they came out into the crowd, and [Joe] Strummer said something on the stage that always left an indentation on me - 'There's no difference between us and you. We're all the same. We're in it together.'

"Thus was born a DIY, punk-rock scene in Seattle. We did everything ourselves - making fliers, booking shows, carting gear, booking VFW halls, lying to the police that it was a teen dance.

"Learning how to do the commerce of that - how to finagle the job you had to get to pay for rehearsal places, for an apartment and for fliers and for gear. You would trade for gear. I started really learning the value of things, and I was really driven.

"Music was going to be my thing. Was I going to make a living at it? That was kind of a joke. It was just my passion, and if I was broke doing my passion, so be it. I had to do it.

"I played in a bunch of bands in Seattle. One of them got signed to Jello Biafra's label [Alternative Tentacles]. We got no money for it, but we put a mark on the American map of punk rock.

"I was working at a restaurant in Seattle, saving my money to move to LA... I moved to LA chasing my dream, and the first people I met was Slash and Steven [Adler] through an ad in the newspaper.

"We met down at Canter's [Deli]. We stared at each other but found that we had a lot of the same musical influences... There was always a missing piece in the tons of bands I was in Seattle.

"I toured. I knew how to book a tour, I knew how to make a flier. But if you're missing a piece in your band, like, there was always a weak link... When the five of us got in a room the first time in Silverlake in a rehearsal place, it was on. You could tell immediately. It was pretty ferocious."

Asked to share a few words of advice to up-and-coming artists, Duff replied:

"My daughter has a band now, and the advice I have for her and what drove is just writing to write songs and believing in yourself. Commerce was not a part of any of it at the beginning. You've got to really believe in your idea.

"We wrote the songs we wrote - we took from our own experiences, melded it together and wrote what became [1987's] 'Appetite for Destruction'. Then we started realizing we had to draw people to clubs. That was the next step.

"Our first gig was to three people. Our second gig was to four. We knew all three and four people who came to our shows... We hustled, and we started to bring in 50 people and 100 people and kept writing those songs, and somehow, those songs identified with our generation.

"They weren't pretty; it wasn't sweet; they weren't love-songs. It was about drugs; it was about the darker side of what we were seeing. We all lived through that early '80s recession. There was no jobs.

"I moved to Hollywood right after the [1984] Olympics, so the cops just left Hollywood and it was the Wild West as far as drugs and crime and whatnot. This is what we're seeing - we're seeing heroin; we're seeing crack - and we wrote about it because it was what we knew."

Duff is cringeworthy in every essence of the word. It's a fucking travesty Izzy is n't involved in regroupeneering.

By far the most useless member of the classic lineup. Steven > > > Duff.