Sign in to follow this  
Miser

What did you think of "Oh My God" the first time you heard it?

In a similar vein as John's Madagascar thread, what did you think of Oh My God the first time you heard it?
Did you hear it back in '99? If so must've been at least somewhat exciting, since this was the first time the public had heard a "GN'R track" or Axl vocals on a mainstream release since Sympathy for the Devil back in 1994.

Heard it when it initially came out. Listened to it maybe 10 times and forgot about it.  Very mediocre song that sounded nothing like GnR. 

51 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

Isn't this why mygnr finally got sick of your shit?

No, I was pretty much on thin ice the entire time I was there because I was me.

I don't remember when I first heard it but I remember feeling like it was a cool aggressive song but as I've gotten older and actually got into good industrial music the song really is generic and sucky. Axl doesn't sound remotely like Axl, the background music is general 90s industrial metal. The only cool part is the "sonic the hedgehog" solo and I'm not sure if that's Dave Navarro or one of the other 4 guitarists on the song. It's way too compressed and from a production standpoint, there's a lot going on but the song is compressed all to hell so none of the stuff going on is captured.

1 hour ago, Miser said:

No, I was pretty much on thin ice the entire time I was there because I was me.

Well thank God you decided to skank it on over here where you're welcomed with open arms and totally not hated by everyone.

1 minute ago, AxlisOld said:

Well thank God you decided to skank it on over here where you're welcomed with open arms and totally not hated by everyone.

I'm always glad to help.

Help, annoy, occupy space while people rue your existence. They're all the same.

5 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

Help, annoy, occupy space while people rue your existence. They're all the same.

I rue my existence too so we're in the same boat there. Like I said, I'm glad to help.

I bought the soundtrack the day it came out. I loved it. I thought something must have been up with Axl's voice though, as it was so hidden in the mix and there was a lot of distortion on it. I got the impression they were trying to cover something, and they were.

It confirmed for me what I already knew. The Guns N' Roses name theft was a stupid choice, and the fans would reject it.

That being said, I enjoyed the track, and I still think it's one of the better songs that Axl managed to put together with the help of a small army.

Better than anything on CD, both in terms of lyrics, and feel. 

Thought it was ok, was never sold on that second guitar solo though.

Every GNR fan I knew that heard it thought it was fucking rubbish...my tastes have always been pretty broad but it wasn't holding a candle to LARD.

2 hours ago, Barry said:

I bought the soundtrack the day it came out. I loved it. I thought something must have been up with Axl's voice though, as it was so hidden in the mix and there was a lot of distortion on it. I got the impression they were trying to cover something, and they were.

It confirmed for me what I already knew. The Guns N' Roses name theft was a stupid choice, and the fans would reject it.

That being said, I enjoyed the track, and I still think it's one of the better songs that Axl managed to put together with the help of a small army.

Better than anything on CD, both in terms of lyrics, and feel. 

I actually think OMG is one of the weaker songs on the soundtrack as a whole. There are some killer tunes on there, a lot that actually hold up today.

And yeah, if you listen close, his voice is really scratchy in the mix. Not raspy, just scratchy and thin. I wonder if there's any way to isolate his voice on the song?

It's one of the better lyrics, it's just the compressed mix and really buried instrumentation make the track really unpleasant to listen to. For me, a good sound mix is wide, vibrant, crisp - every instrument on the track audible. The compression on OMG almost makes it sound like it's a second generation copy or something.

Also, for a "comeback for Guns N' Roses" track, there's waaay too many musician. Your comeback song isn't the time to have Dave Navarro and Gary Sunshine guesting on guitar - it's the time to show off the new band.

Edited by Miser

thoughts in 1999:

- WTF

- this doesn't sound like GN'R at all

- this is not that bad but not really that good and it certainly pales in comparison to 99% of GN'R songs

- who is axl trying to fool calling this GN'R?

thoughts today

- these days i have lowered my standards and my expectations on all things GN'R (thanks to Axl & Slash & Duff's solo albums!) so that is not that bad of a song

What the fuck was that?! But after listening to it everyday for a year I reslized it was a pretty good GNR song. 

2 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

thoughts in 1999:

- WTF

- this doesn't sound like GN'R at all

- this is not that bad but not really that good and it certainly pales in comparison to 99% of GN'R songs

- who is axl trying to fool calling this GN'R?

thoughts today

- these days i have lowered my standards and my expectations on all things GN'R (thanks to Axl & Slash & Duff's solo albums!) so that is not that bad of a song

Maybe you should go back to myvaginer ? Just a thought.

One of the best Guns' songs. Easily in top 10 for me. Could have been on UYI II.

In fact, more than half of Chinese Democracy could easily have been on UYI II.

All you have to do is swap handful of tracks with Civil War, You Could Be Mine, Locomotive, Breakdown, 14 Years, Pretty Tied Up and you have it, Use Your Illusion II.

Again, couldn't you have resurrected one of your are half dozen threads that you have started on this very same topic before?

And to answer your question AGAIN, it was garbage.

That was BBA's reply.....in fucking 2012!!    LOL!!!!