Sign in to follow this  
Donald Trump

Stuff We Should Have Been Taught in School: Memorization Techniques

You often hear people talking about how somebody they know has a "photographic memory." By that they mean that that person has the ability to read something and remember it in detail, almost as if they've photocopied it into their mind. The truth is that we all have that ability but we are not taught how to do it in school. 

I am reading my third book on memory called Memory Book by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas. The other two I have read are Moonwalking With Einstein and Unlimited Memory. People have known how to do some of these techniques for thousands of years yet they aren't part of our basic education system despite memorization being such a key aspect of learning. It pisses me off so much when I think about all the time I wasted in school over the years.

I will now give you a brief example of how to remember 10 words in the sequence given. I am using this same technique to remember all 50 states in alphabetical order. 

10 Words:

Airplane

Tree

Envelope

Earring

Bucket

Sing

Basketball

Salami

Star 

Nose

Basically you want to create exaggerated and absurd images in your head in order to memorize the words. Or you can use images that are already ingrained in your mind to represent the words you want to remember. You can use the images I give as examples or come up with your own. The key is to come up with something that easily sticks in your mind.

Airplane to tree: picture an airplane flying in the sky with a tree coming out of its nose. Or picture a tree flying throught the sky like an aeroplane.

Tree to envelope: Imagine a tree being enveloped in a giant envelope.

Envelope to earring: picture an envelope with a bunch of gold hoop earrings pouring out of it.

Earring to bucket:  Picture a KFC bucket full of gold earrings.

Bucket to sing: Now it is time to put some of our New GNR knowledge to use for the next couple of links. Picture Buckethead on stage standing beside Axl at Rock in Rio. Axl is a singer so he represents the word sing.

Sing to basketball: Picture Axl in that weird interview he did at the 2001 NBA finals talking about his love of Iverson, Kobe, and Shaq. 

Basketball to salami: Picture a basketball bouncing into a deli full of salami.

Salami to Star: picture looking up in the sky at night and seeing a bunch of giant twinking salamis.

Star to Nose: Imagine Barbara Streisand or Lady Gaga. Both famous singers starred in remakes of A Star is Born. And both have prominent noses.

2 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

It is almost as if the government wants to keep people helpless. Learning how to learn and use our brains should have been one of the top priorites along with finance. These things are ubiquitous to all of our lives. It is criminal that we weren't taught finance growing up. Instead we were sold this bullshit narrative about how we should persue whatever higher education we are interested in and the rest of it will all work out. 

We learn about fucking different types of rocks in high school that unless you're gonna be a geologist have NO bearing on the rest of your life and all about sediment but nothing practical. Like, how about how to put up a wall in your home, how to build shit or wire electricity, or how to manage money wisely? 

We should have also been taught meditation, healthy eating habits, and the utmost importance of getting 8 plus hours of sleep a night. If I had a kid I would not want to send them to school. It is morally wrong to do so. You are cheating them out of a useful education. 

I wish I knew how to do more with my hands. Like, home building type shit. Electrical shit. Also, schools should include coding/programming as a mandatory course, and from a young age (around Pre-K), it should be mandatory, if we're gonna live in this globalized world, that children learn Spanish and Mandarin from a young age. We learn a second language in HS but it has been scientifically proven that the older you get, the harder it is to truly learn another language.

21 minutes ago, Miser said:

I wish I knew how to do more with my hands. Like, home building type shit. Electrical shit. Also, schools should include coding/programming as a mandatory course, and from a young age (around Pre-K), it should be mandatory, if we're gonna live in this globalized world, that children learn Spanish and Mandarin from a young age. We learn a second language in HS but it has been scientifically proven that the older you get, the harder it is to truly learn another language.

You can learn how to do a lot of shit on youtube. Recently I learned how to fix my tv remote by watching youtube videos. I was also able to fix my tablet which I had dropped after searching youtube. 

Schools don't teach you how to learn so it makes learning languages super hard unless you are uber motivated to do so. 

50 minutes ago, Miser said:

We learn about fucking different types of rocks in high school that unless you're gonna be a geologist have NO bearing on the rest of your life and all about sediment but nothing practical. Like, how about how to put up a wall in your home, how to build shit or wire electricity, or how to manage money wisely? 

They do, they're called trade schools.

2 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

They do, they're called trade schools.

I'm talking about high schools. You know that society today pushes High School, then College or a University; Trade schools aren't really discussed as an option, and beyond that, the idea should be to reform high schools so people reform life/practical skills there while they're still very young. 

I get the same vibe from doctors as schools. It’s more a numbers game or perspective. Teachers see students come through in bulk and some can just do this stuff so let’s just keep going. There’s definitely a lack of funneling everyone into how to make money or be successful. I wonder if it’s a conscious thing. Like we need idiots to make sandwiches too. So it becomes like doctors, people die. In a hospital babies are coming out of bodies and some guy is dying of liver failure in the second floor. It’s all like that movie Enter the Void. 

But people do have photographic memories from birth. That doesn’t mean everything. The smartest person I know if he doesn’t take his meds he runs around naked or empties his bank account and gives it to homeless people. His kid was born with a brain tumor. 

The school I went to did have one renegade teacher who taught exam technique. As in he taught us to tackle essay question by kinds of answers. So you have to hit each question from these 10 angles that gets you marks. Then we were doing American Indians. So his theory is everything is about Buffalo. So any question you go through all the parts of Buffalo and how that applied to their lives. You didn’t need to memorize anything. Just a Buffalo image. To drill that home he took us to a gym one lesson and sang Hare Krishna. So we remembered Indians equal Buffalo. I guess we memorized the 10 angles. Basically you hit these 10 areas and pick up all the points for the exam. I got a A for history without really studying any books. I read the book once. It’s how you remember. The other history class were pissed off because they had to do all this study and had no idea how to answer questions. The same applies to maths tests. If you look at the last three past papers you can predict what the next question will be like. Good teachers, teach the test not the subject. But I think school is probably designed to teach the masses to submit to rules. Don’t question things. If they teacher critical thinking everyone’s going to deconstruct culture and government. 

On 2/23/2019 at 5:14 PM, Miser said:

Why did schools remove shit like personal financing and home economics classes?

Because they want you to fail man. 

2 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Because they want you to fail man. 

If you knew anything about money you wouldn’t borrow 50k to get a gender studies degree. If you can cook why go to McDonald’s? If you learn about anything you see everything is a scam.

Why spend 5 years learning long division to completely forget as soon as you leave school?

I’m out of ideas. It helps to be crazy. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

If you knew anything about money you wouldn’t borrow 50k to get a gender studies degree. If you can cook why go to McDonald’s? If you learn about anything you see everything is a scam.

Why spend 5 years learning long division to completely forget as soon as you leave school?

I’m out of ideas. It helps to be crazy. 

90% of college is bullshit.

My college is/was a goddamn disgrace. As a graduation gift they had the audacity to give us a license plate holder (the out line plate you screw into your car).

So not only did these thieving cunts give us a fuck you gift, it was blatant advertising. You really think all college kids had a car? They raped us all for thousands of dollars and gave us all a shameless advert as a result. 

I hope someday I can spit in the Dean's face. 

Mission Accomplished! I can name all 50 states in alphabetical order now. Once you come up with the proper visuals it is locked right in there. 

42 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

90% of college is bullshit.

My college is/was a goddamn disgrace. As a graduation gift they had the audacity to give us a license plate holder (the out line plate you screw into your car).

So not only did these thieving cunts give us a fuck you gift, it was blatant advertising. You really think all college kids had a car? They raped us all for thousands of dollars and gave us all a shameless advert as a result. 

I hope someday I can spit in the Dean's face. 

I think even people who do more pragmatic degrees still come to realize that success is in a company is something else. You can be insanely smart but not really benefit hugely from the company you work for. I think about the mid level workers in Amazon or Apple must be disappointed. 

It is something to be aware of. There are no garuantees with education. I imagine millenials are ready to vote AOC in revenge. Make the institutions pay.  

54 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

Mission Accomplished! I can name all 50 states in alphabetical order now. Once you come up with the proper visuals it is locked right in there. 

It’s like putting language into real life situations. If you stay in the class room

chanting french you just forget the word for icecream. But if you use it at a beach you remember fraise glace. Does anyone really understand english grammar that well. They just know it sounds right. 

Those synesthesia techniques always sounded like they took a lot of effort. I have an okay memory as a survival instinct and just not being bored with otherwise boring information. I don't read books often so my spelling isn't what it used to be.

It’s good for memorizing stuff for a test. 

What is strange is why or how people can memorize all the albums of a bands discography with tracklists and dates but can’t do it for US states. 

Maybe it’s just the stories woven into the bands albums. 

My friend at school had a photogrsphic memory. If he read a book he could visually see the words on the page. Also he never revised he said he got it in class. I generally had to go home and re-read and then still not get it. So it all piled up to a pile of not knowing anything. Luckily you don’t need to know anything in life. The less you know the better you are. 

It took me 20 minutes to memorize the Presidents in order. Most of the work comes in creating the visual for each word. Once you do that it all locks into place quite quickly. 

Were the images like “a Ark eats an Antler” to denote the alphabetical order? 

A ate B that sat on C etc?

so it’s like a story? 

Washington - pictured the white house

Adams - pictured Bryan Adams singing Summer of 69 outside the White House

Jefferson - pictured George Jefferson

Madison - pictured former mygnr mod admin avatar. Also thought of Vogue by Madonna with her singing Madison Monroe.

Monroe - pictured Marilyn Monroe

Adams - pictured Amy Adams with red hair

Jackson - pictured Michael Jackson blushing at the site of Amy Adams kissing Marilyn Monroe.

Van Buren - pictured Michael Jackson hopping into a van with beer in it...

Then you put them in aphabetical order. 

I used to visualize words on a journey. Like on the door is the word “jogging” and way down the stairs “carrot”. 

But I probably used patterns in the words themselves more. I just need a clue. Like there’s two W words. There’s 3 words beginning with A, I’ll remember one, but the other two second letters are r and l. So it’s a code. 

2W3Arp means Washington, Wilson, Andrews, Arthur, Alsop

I can’t remember many memory tests at school. Spelling is the main one. I flunked a 100 word test once because I got out of order. So answer 3. was answer 2. and so on. They wouldn’t listen to me and put me in remedial classes which I aced for weeks before they let me back into society. 

I guess Biology  was memory. Label this cell. Draw a diagram to illustrate convection currents. Explain Osmosis. 

Only time I used memory in a job was working in a clothes warehouse, 2 floors of 17 aisles. So you had to learn where all the different clothes were hanged. After 3 months of 10 hours of that a day your brain is putty. 

Memorizing sales pitches too. You’re just a walking bullshit machine. Is money important to you? Do you want to save money? So if I just change the company on your gas bill do you want cheaper gas? Not interested. You’re not interested in saving money? No, I’m not. What if I said I could give you 20 dollars today just to change the name on your gas bill? You could? Yes everyone on

the street is doing it today, I just need the number on your gas meter and your signature, you’ll get a bill from CalorGas instead of BG. Everything else stays the same, same pipes, same gas, cheaper price. 

Ok, if everyone is doing it. 

Or

Get the fuck off my property. 

Ok, so you don’t want to save money like everyone else today just by signing you name? 

Get the fuck out of here!

So you don’t want to save money?

No, I hate money. 

Thank you and good day. 

Cults have great memory training. 

1 hour ago, Donald Trump said:

I memorized the states in alphabetical order. The Presidents I memorized in order of their time in office.

But the technique is the same, one thing eats another. 

Does it improve your memory for yesterday. I can never remember what happened the last few days.