Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

Long piece chronicling the history and future of Chinese Democracy

14 hours ago, wasted said:

People get up tight about the word art. But I do think this idea plays a part in why GNR didn’t turn into a rock n roll factory.

Axl actually said once you get in a certain position you have a resposibility to try to do art. He also said something like he was happy with AFD/UYI. Now he wanted to see if they could add something to it. Not many people care maybe but he had this kind of idea. He didn’t want to remake albums. Kind of a problem. 

But I have offered that maybe it’s not quite as bad as all that because UYI II could have come out in 94-5. That would calmed things down. Maybe even mixing in Spaghetti in to get 3 cds. We got the material anyway. I think because Axl was kind of done creatively with UYI he just wanted it out and move on. But it proved harder to convince Slash to do that. 

Like you said there’s a difference in the way of doing things. And some like the clarity of the albums. They do map out different periods of life. I think Axl has a talent for recognising these different themes and writing lyrics appropriately. He doesn’t just throw political lyrics on top of sleaze rockers. To do different styles you have to be careful. 

He also said that he would hate to become a band that just lived off of its old work. 

And what? Axl wanted to move on but he couldn’t convince Slash to do so as well? Since leaving GnR, Axl kept the GnR name, released one album and has made a living off the “old” material. In the same time period Slash has been in four different bands, guest played with numerous artists and has released like 8 albums. Slash has continued to release music for his fans to enjoy. Axl has remained stuck in 87-91. 

6 hours ago, Skeeter said:

He also said that he would hate to become a band that just lived off of its old work. 

And what? Axl wanted to move on but he couldn’t convince Slash to do so as well? Since leaving GnR, Axl kept the GnR name, released one album and has made a living off the “old” material. In the same time period Slash has been in four different bands, guest played with numerous artists and has released like 8 albums. Slash has continued to release music for his fans to enjoy. Axl has remained stuck in 87-91. 

I think there’s a danger or difficulty with being like Axl. I don’t think Axl meant to go as far with CD with Slash but he didn’t want to fall short of Illusions. In fact there might have been a let’s collab more and long like AFD. Let’s really work at. We have the time and money. 

Bit there’s a danger to that in can you produce and how hard do you take it if you come up short. In trying too hard maybe Axl alienated Slash and found no one would support his new line ups so much. So he doubled down on making the best record he could. Really explore in the same way Slash let loose with other bands.

Looking back it might have been smarter to give Slash whatever he wanted in 1994. Do Snakepit, maybe get TIL on there. Maybe lifestyle wise they weren’t on the same page. Slash seemed pretty full on for Snakepit. 

I get what you are saying in it would be great if they could crank out UYI type records consistently. But I think part of the reason the material is so good is because Axl has this Queen thing. Even on AFD with the 4 big players. They are combining very different influences. That must be harder to pull together than Slash solo. Even VR had more in the pot which seemed to cause problems. Slash seems most comfortable solo. Axl continued the Queen thing with Nu Guns so I guess that’s what he wants to do. 

On one hand do they continue with the Queen thing with multiple writers or should they drop into a more ACDC Slash solo mode with Axl on vocals. I mean you can see on Living the Dream there’s GNR potential there it just doesn’t have the extra dimensions of Axl or Izzy songwriting. A Dust n Bones, So Fine, Nov Rain, If the World doesn’t happen. 

I think at this point I’m happy for GNR to be what it has been. These big diverse rock records. Whether Slash wants to be part of that or if they really want to do another record I have no idea. 

7 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

2rj5f6.jpg

We already have a wall of shitpost we just want to blame Donnie for building another one. 

1 - KANYE WEST, 808S & HEARTBREAK [443,559]
2 - TAYLOR SWIFT, FEARLESS [257,047]
3 - BEYONCE, I AM... SASHA FIERCE [254,555]
4 - GUNS N' ROSES, CHINESE DEMOCRACY [254,341]
5 - LUDACRIS, THEATER OF THE MIND [212,551]
6 - KILLERS, DAY & AGE [189,970]

Still amazing what a great year 2008 was for new music

On 1/19/2019 at 5:26 PM, wasted said:

I think there’s a danger or difficulty with being like Axl. I don’t think Axl meant to go as far with CD with Slash but he didn’t want to fall short of Illusions. In fact there might have been a let’s collab more and long like AFD. Let’s really work at. We have the time and money. 

Bit there’s a danger to that in can you produce and how hard do you take it if you come up short. In trying too hard maybe Axl alienated Slash and found no one would support his new line ups so much. So he doubled down on making the best record he could. Really explore in the same way Slash let loose with other bands.

Looking back it might have been smarter to give Slash whatever he wanted in 1994. Do Snakepit, maybe get TIL on there. Maybe lifestyle wise they weren’t on the same page. Slash seemed pretty full on for Snakepit. 

I get what you are saying in it would be great if they could crank out UYI type records consistently. But I think part of the reason the material is so good is because Axl has this Queen thing. Even on AFD with the 4 big players. They are combining very different influences. That must be harder to pull together than Slash solo. Even VR had more in the pot which seemed to cause problems. Slash seems most comfortable solo. Axl continued the Queen thing with Nu Guns so I guess that’s what he wants to do. 

On one hand do they continue with the Queen thing with multiple writers or should they drop into a more ACDC Slash solo mode with Axl on vocals. I mean you can see on Living the Dream there’s GNR potential there it just doesn’t have the extra dimensions of Axl or Izzy songwriting. A Dust n Bones, So Fine, Nov Rain, If the World doesn’t happen. 

I think at this point I’m happy for GNR to be what it has been. These big diverse rock records. Whether Slash wants to be part of that or if they really want to do another record I have no idea. 

I just wish my favorite rock singer had released more than one album in the last 27 years. I really couldn’t care less if Slash was involved or not. 

In fact, I would much rather have three or four albums from the lineup with Robin and Bucket than have a 2023 album with Slash and Duff. 

Axl might love Queen, but he didn’t have the ability to write a pop-friendly song like Mercury could. Axl has no Crazy Liftle Thing Called Love in his arsenal. Is this good or bad? Who knows. Depends on the listener. 

Axl, Bucket and Robin could have created some great and exciting music. Those guys would have pushed Axl to a different creative level than what Slash and Duff will inspire him to do. 

VR bored me to death. I would much rather have an album full of songs like Better, Riad and Twat. 

TL/DR - anything from Axl would be better than nothing. 

3 hours ago, Skeeter said:

I just wish my favorite rock singer had released more than one album in the last 27 years. I really couldn’t care less if Slash was involved or not. 

In fact, I would much rather have three or four albums from the lineup with Robin and Bucket than have a 2023 album with Slash and Duff. 

Axl might love Queen, but he didn’t have the ability to write a pop-friendly song like Mercury could. Axl has no Crazy Liftle Thing Called Love in his arsenal. Is this good or bad? Who knows. Depends on the listener. 

Axl, Bucket and Robin could have created some great and exciting music. Those guys would have pushed Axl to a different creative level than what Slash and Duff will inspire him to do. 

VR bored me to death. I would much rather have an album full of songs like Better, Riad and Twat. 

TL/DR - anything from Axl would be better than nothing. 

What CD needed, if he was going to move in a less "GN'R" direction were songs like Radio Ga Ga. There's not one song on that record that could be a single. He lacks the ability for whatever reason to write a hit chorus on his own. Even the most catchy song IMO (Shackler's) is way too dense to be radio friendly. He is a good songwriter and arranger, but he needs others to edit his work and get some dynamics to the song and make the choruses' memorable. While I do believe most of his credits in GN'R are accurate, I also believe he had lots of help with GN'R's most memorable choruses.

Edited by Miser

11 hours ago, Miser said:

What CD needed, if he was going to move in a less "GN'R" direction were songs like Radio Ga Ga. There's not one song on that record that could be a single. He lacks the ability for whatever reason to write a hit chorus on his own. Even the most catchy song IMO (Shackler's) is way too dense to be radio friendly. He is a good songwriter and arranger, but he needs others to edit his work and get some dynamics to the song and make the choruses' memorable. While I do believe most of his credits in GN'R are accurate, I also believe he had lots of help with GN'R's most memorable choruses.

To be honest GNR never have great or obvious choruses. Or nothing better than Better or If the World or Catcher. 

It’s just GNR weren’t the flavor of the month anymore. They didn’t get credit for summarizing the 90s in the 00s. Like they did for 70s in the 80s or 80s in the 90s. 

So the Teens in the 20s? 

Edited by wasted

What you can say is that CD is probably 2 cds of Axl’s material for GNR albums. You can replace Chi dem, Shackler’s and If the World with Slither, Bomb, Fall to Pieces and people would be fine with it. 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:57 AM, wasted said:

What you can say is that CD is probably 2 cds of Axl’s material for GNR albums. You can replace Chi dem, Shackler’s and If the World with Slither, Bomb, Fall to Pieces and people would be fine with it. 

Only if Axl got to write the lyrics for those songs. Fall to Pieces sounds like it was written by a junior high school kid.

Axl’s lyrics probably would have elevated their songs to another level. 

Riad is a better song than anything VR ever released. 

31 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

Only if Axl got to write the lyrics for those songs. Fall to Pieces sounds like it was written by a junior high school kid.

:no:  

1 hour ago, Skeeter said:

Yeah I doubt Axl would write those lyrics. But people would be fine with it. Axl’s power ballad was Sorry. I like it, prefer it to romantic stuff. 

That’s the thing with CD it snatches victory from the jaws of awesome. 

Shackler’s is the next level YCBM but it’s a rocked out Korn song so it doesn’t connect to hard rock audience. 

This I Love has the Nov Rain 2 feel but seems like it should have been worked into the momentum of Prostitute. 

If the World and Sorry are catchy but not used as singles and one is the most pop thing they did and Sorry has dark introspective lyrics. 

If Chi Dem was a song about crushing six packs in a truck it probably go to No. 1. 

On 1/30/2019 at 4:57 PM, wasted said:

You could also say that that's a load of tosh :omg:

Just now, Doctor Dom said:

You could also say that that's a load of tosh :omg:

Take half of Snakepit, half of Ju ju hounds and throw in TIL and Catcher.