10 Years of Chinese Democracy

4 hours ago, GnRLiars said:

Too much tinkering killed the album. 

Agreed the Blues is better than SOD

the early demo of IRS is better

the early demo of CD was better 

you get my drift

Cut, snip, paste to all of the songs ruined any fluidity to the album

Also someone one said that listening to the album you can make out the time periods when the songs were recorded...

pits all over the place

some of the songs individually are good, but together as an album they’re lost

There is such a huge difference between a band in the studio working together, creating and recording a song together. As opposed to a guy sitting at his laptop putting 83 individual 4-second pieces of music together to make a song.

Fantastic album. Better, TWAT, Sorry, CITR, Prositute... all great songs. The only tracks I don't listen to are This I Love, Scraped and Riad. I prefer some demos to the final versions (the 06-07 leaks of CD, IRS, The Blues were better, and the 08 leak of TWAT is easily my favourite version). Is it at times a jumbled mess? Yes. Was it worth the decade of production and millions of wasted dollars? No. But it's still great for what it is.

One of my favourite descriptions of CD was from someone on this board actually, but I don't remember who. "CD is an album about trying to make an album when you're Axl Rose and the world is out ta get you." It's a shame "Diary of a Madman" was already taken, as it would've been the most fitting title, really.

2 hours ago, Skeeter said:

There is such a huge difference between a band in the studio working together, creating and recording a song together. As opposed to a guy sitting at his laptop putting 83 individual 4-second pieces of music together to make a song.

Exactly my point. 

Theres no cohesiveness at all...

theres good elements to songs that are otherwise ruined in their final mix due to Axl and his keyboard... 

theres a a lot to like on the album, but there’s also a lot to dislike

Better, Chinese Democracy, There Was a Time, Catcher in the Rye and Street of Dreams. Very strong songs! 

The rest of the album is a pass for me.

Edited by AndreCC

So auad has posted 2 youtube videos, when we've been explicitly told that's against the rules and it will ultimately hurt the site when DMCA complaints or filed or whatever.  Is the ban lifted?  Or is it just awad being awad?  

3 hours ago, bring back izzy said:

So auad has posted 2 youtube videos, when we've been explicitly told that's against the rules and it will ultimately hurt the site when DMCA complaints or filed or whatever.  Is the ban lifted?  Or is it just awad being awad?  

Hi Buddy. Have a nice weekend.

what about your CD veredict? Ten years after the release...

Edited by auad

Chinese Democracy would be looked upon as decent if it had been one of many albums GNR had released over the past 30 years. It is a solid Black and Blue level album. But being as it is the only original album they have released in the past 27 years it is rightly viewed as a piece of shit. Chinese Democracy has about five or six good songs on it but the vocals and mixes are awful and so unnatural sounding. Axl managed to use pro tools to eliminate any soul these songs might have had. Chinese Democracy the song was always trash but The Blues and Madagascar actually sounded pretty damn good when they were played live for the first time back in 2000. I would love to hear re-recorded natural sounding versions of The Blues and Catcher in the Rye with Slash on guitar. The one thing Chinese Democracy did prove to the world was that Axl is a god awful producer.

Can someone find the quote of DJ Ashba saying that the new GNR album wouldn't take another 10 years or something?