Sign in to follow this  
EstrangedTWAT

Most memorable concerts YOU MISSED

We already have a thread for the coolest shows we've been to, so let's talk about the ones that got away.

And no, I don't mean seeing The Doors at the Whiskey A Go-Go or attending Woodstock with a time machine.  I mean actual concerts you were gonna go to and didn't, and now you regret it.  Oh man, I have a lot.

Number one without a doubt is the Nine Inch Nails secret show that took place at the Cleveland Odeon right before New Year's Eve in 1994.  They were one of the biggest bands in the country at the time,  but as a special "thank you" to the town that got them started, they were doing a secret show for $5 at a club that only held less than a thousand people.  Well, it didn't stay secret for long.  My friend heard about it early in the day.  If we'd got our asses down there we'd have gotten in for sure.  But my dad said "No.  Downtown Cleveland is dangerous at night.  Lots of homeless people.  And blacks."   So, I didn't go.   But my friend's sister did.  Bitch.  I'm still pissed about that one.

The other one that pisses me off was the same club.  Mazzy Star, dream pop wonderband from the mid 90s were playing there in December, 1996.  This time I had a ticket.  They finally started letting people in the door, but right as I was coming close to getting my ticket ripped, they stopped the line.  A few minutes later, they announced the show was canceled and not going to be rescheduled.  I got my money back, but I never got to see Mazzy Star.  FUCK.

Oh, one more from the Odeon.  My senior year, a few friends were skipping play rehearsal to go see Radiohead.  This was their The Bends tour.  Damn I love that album.  And again, the place held like 600 people.  I said "Oh...no...I better stay for practice.  I don't wanna get in trouble."  So I missed fucking Radiohead on The Bends tour cause I'm a fag.  I could have seen them several times since, but I never bothered on general principle.  Why see them play a bunch of shitty new songs in a big outdoor stadium when I passed on my chance to see them play their (arguably) best songs in a club?   Shit.

I regret not seeing the original GNR, but that goes without saying.  My only chance was the Ann Arbor/Detroit show in 1993 and I didn't go cause I had a marching band trip instead.  See what a fucking fag I was??

I also really love Sigur Ros and I've missed them like 3 times.  Either they're touring the States when I'm in Japan or vice versa.  Just can't ever seem to catch them.

Really really regret not seeing Roger Waters do The Wall live show from a few years ago.  I bet that was fucking amazing.

Probably my favorite band that I've never seen live is The Strokes, but they're not terribly exciting live, and their live sound is almost exactly like the records, so I'm not too broken up about it.  But if they ever come back around I really should try to see them.  I just hate going to festivals though and a lot of times that's the only way to catch a band in Japan.

Then there's the guys that died.  Missed my chance to see Nirvana's last (only?) Ohio appearance on Halloween 1993 cause the tickets sold out in minutes.  Blind Melon was supposed to play the Cleveland Agora on November 4th, 1995.  I didn't buy a ticket but I was planning on going.  It was my 18th birthday.   Of course Shannon Hoon was found dead on the tour bus in New Orleans just two weeks before it would have happened.  So that sucked.  I always really liked his manic stage presence. 

I never got to see Weiland either, and I regret that.  I really liked his voice.  Seeing him with either STP or VR would have been cool...not really his solo stuff though.

I also regret not seeing Chris Cornell, especially in Soundgarden.  They were broken up for a long time though.  I don't know if they ever came to Japan after reforming but there's another voice that can never be replaced.

Prince...hmmm...I'm upset that he died but I guess I'm OK with never having seen him live cause I had chances and he just wasn't on my list of acts to go see.

All right, that's enough for now.  Come on...let me hear about the shows you came thiiissss close to but missed out on.

One day at school everyone was singing "We Will Rock You," due to some big concert. I didn't get the reference. A decade later I found it was Axl  / The Freddie Mercury Concert for Life. No YouTube then so unless you saw live, it was like missing a shooting star.

Years ago I was trying to get this one day off to see Ane Brun but my boss wouldn't let me. Some coworkers tried to figure out what concert I wanted to see but I kept it to myself. Never went but I stopped listening anyway a few years ago.

More recently I was interested in seeing Cranberries, Soundgarden even. Not good timing.

I was supposed to go see Nirvana on October 22, 1993 at the Palmer Auditorium.....  Decided I'd rather go out with some broad and left my buddies hanging.  That is really the only concert I regret not going to.

I definitely mentioned in JB's Grateful Dead thread that I regretted not seeing them.  Not that I liked their music or do now...I still haven't come around to it.  But it was an annual event and all the older kids in high school got so excited to see them every year.  And then the summer before my senior year, Jerry died.   No more "real" Dead shows.  I never got to experience the event that everyone loved so much.   So yeah....add another one to the list.

3 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

I really regret not seeing Heaven and Hell in 2007

Same 😥

6 hours ago, Facekicker said:

Prince a few years ago. Fuck. 

I saw Prince. It was one of the worst concerts I have been to because of the way he chose to play the songs. He would play 30 seconds of Let's Go Crazy and then go into some big band jam crap and that would be it for the song. And he did that for most of the songs. Purple Rain was the only one he played properly. His singing and guitar playing was good but his presentation of the songs ruined the show.

I regret not seeing the RATM and Wu Tang Tour but I think it got cancelled early on. It would have been one for the ages. 

In 2010 I had free tickets to see Tom Petty but ultimately passed for an opportunity to finally fuck this girl I had been working on, on and off, for a year and a half.

Hindsight’s always 20/20 I know, and Tom Petty was hardly my favorite artist, but I really would’ve liked to see him before he passed.

Edited by Bobbo

4 hours ago, Donald Trump said:

I saw Prince. It was one of the worst concerts I have been to because of the way he chose to play the songs. He would play 30 seconds of Let's Go Crazy and then go into some big band jam crap and that would be it for the song. And he did that for most of the songs. Purple Rain was the only one he played properly. His singing and guitar playing was good but his presentation of the songs ruined the show.

There were definitely some periods where his album releases and shows were somewhat boring, especially the ones backed by the NPG.

2004 Rock Hall Induction is one I had to pass up, and wish I hadn't.

I had a chance to see Bob Dylan at Loon Mt. in 1997, but didn't want to go.  I hadn't really been exposed to his music and had just become a hermit.  Years later...still a hermit, but a big Dylan fan.

2 years ago, Mudcrutch came to Boston and played at the House of Blues.  My wife and I were going to go but instead I decided it was too much of a hassle to buy tickets and find a sitter, and we'd seen Tom and the Heartbreakers at Fenway the year before.  Now Tom is dead.

In Philly in 2002, I was going to see a band on back to back nights. The lead singer didn't show up for the first night, and the second night was cancelled altogether. I think they cancelled their entire tour after that. Apparently the lead singer had discovered that he was a massive faggot who identified as Brazilian or something. Never heard from the guy again.