auad

Why isn't Salsh on the best guitarist charts?

Slash24.jpg

Despite being arguably the most recognizable guitarist in rock, Slash doesn't typically rate highly in guitar magazine readers' polls, but the oversight doesn't bother him. "In this world of guitar — and I've been doing this for a long time — there's this obsession with technical prowess and technique and this, that and the other," he says. "[It's] sort of like X Games — it's excelled to the point where you can watch guitar players literally blow your mind and make your jaw drop over all these things that they can do. It totally reminds me of when I used to race BMX — I look at BMX then and I look at what they're doing now, and I'm like, 'Fuck.' It's great, and I don't knock it, but you're always compared, everybody's compared to all these guitar players, and who's best, who's better, who's the fucking greatest this, and blah blah blah. Some of it's on an emotional level, but most of it is technical and speed. The most important thing if I'm put in that place, because I'm really not trying to compete with anybody, so the most important thing for me is [that] somebody can recognize your voice. For me, any guitar player that's worth anything has something to say, and it's something that you can recognize — with one note or 1600 notes, you know who the person is. You know they have a musical personality that comes out, just like when you're seeing an actor and they convey a certain presence that you know is unique to them. I would be happy if people knew me as a guitar player by how I come across as an individual."

DWPRhasX4AArn0W.jpg

While Slash says he doesn't feel any sort of responsibility to continue flying the flag for guitar-driven hard rock, he admits it's unlikely to see him doing anything else. "If I turned around tomorrow and decided that I wanted to play harp, then I would play harp. And I do like harp, actually," he laughs. "If all my fuckin' passion and energy was to switch from guitar to another instrument tomorrow, I would do that, but I love guitar. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how it fits into contemporary music right now. It might be top of the heap one month or one year or two years or whatever it is at some point in the future, or it might stay where it is. I don't know, but it doesn't really affect so much how I do things. But one of the things I do recognize about it that's sort of cool is that for all us people who do have sort of a passion for [rock] — especially young kids coming up that are really into it — is the glamour is gone. If you're aspiring to be a rock star, it's not about jets and cars and money and houses. If you want to do it, you have to do it because you love it. You're not going to get anything back from it at this particular point in time. I sort of love that about it — that it's really down to you against them. If you have that passion and you're willing to risk everything to do it but you have something to say, then go for it."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-on-rocks-place-in-the-modern-music-industry-you-have-to-do-it-because-you-love-it/

Edited by auad

slash fans are delusional

even shit publications like rolling stone know he's no better than 65

the only ones that rate him highly are boomer trash rags like UCR

Because the ranking includes the guitar skills, the success, the style and, most important, the oral care....

That's why.

19 minutes ago, GnRLiars said:

What the fuck is this?

GNR show. Fortaleza-Brazil.

Axl being Brazillian.

Because he's really not that great of a guitarist?  I think Locomotive might be his best work, but what do I know.  His solo stuff is mindless generic crotch rock.  

5 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

Slash isn't able to play the guitar with his teeth like Jimi Hendrix. 

Jimmi Hendrix's teeth are still in better condition.

...but seriously, what is he even talking about? He usually is always on those lists. Look at the accolades section on his Wikipedia page. Is he talking about something recent? I’m lost...?

20 hours ago, bring back izzy said:

Axl has fake teeth (crowns or veneers or whatever the fuck it's called).  If you look at old pics, he little teeth, so his teeth now are synthetic.  

I'm glad that at a certain point he decided to take care of his oral cavity.

Can you imagine fat, voiceless and teethless at the same time?

2 hours ago, GUNNER said:

I'm glad that at a certain point he decided to take care of his oral cavity.

Can you imagine fat, voiceless and teethless at the same time?

:lolzers:

6 hours ago, Bobbo said:

...but seriously, what is he even talking about? He usually is always on those lists. Look at the accolades section on his Wikipedia page. Is he talking about something recent? I’m lost...?

He's talking about "readers' polls", not rock critics or fellow musicians, which likely means voters will favor modern artists over guitarists who were popular 30 years ago.  :shrugs: