7. Universally Speaking
  8. Cabron
  9. Snow (Hey Oh)
  10. Dani California

It's been awhile since I've listened to Mothers Milk n their older shit

i don't like the new stuff couldn't even tell you a song title

everything before mother's milk is irredeemable trash

mother's milk is ok, basically proto-RHCP

i'm fucking sick of BSSM, listened it to death trying to enjoy it as much as i'm supposed to and i just don't. they still hadn't found the sound that i became a fan of with their supposed "magnum opus". EDIT: don't get me wrong it is a great album with plenty of memorable songs, just imo not the godsterpiece everyone makes it out to be

one hot minute doesn't exist

californication is produced TERRIBLY (like almost death magnetic bad) and is their poppiest album but also has a few great songs and john at the top of his game. the first album where they had their sound figured out. parallel universe is my favorite RHCP song and there's nothing like it on shit BSSM. that said, lots of forgettable tracks on the second half

by the way is another solid entry with the songs everyone knows plus some nice album tracks like minor thing and tear

if you ask me, stadium arcadium is their real magnum opus. john is a fucking monster all over this album, it's his master work. so many fantastic tracks.

i'm with you is a mess but it has some oddly endearing songs. definitely hasn't aged well.

the getaway grew on me a bit, danger mouse's production completely changed their sound but it was necessary after how boring their last album was without john. i guess danger mouse now serves as the band's creative mastermind now that john is gone?

6 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

everything before mother's milk is irredeemable trash

but they were really good at the time

only bad in hindsight

1 minute ago, John Bonham said:

but they were really good at the time

only bad in hindsight

tbh i haven't given them that much of a chance, the album covers alone are enough to tell me it's shit

I'm a pretty casual fan in that I only really like "the hits."

But I saw them in 96 when Navarro was in the band and I actually liked several tracks off "One Hot Minute" even thought that seems to be a forgotten/disliked era.  I love Jane's though so I was into it.

Last song I actually listened to was Rain Dance Maggie, so obviously I haven't kept up.

In no particular order:

Breaking the Girl

Under the Bridge

Soul to Squeeze

Warped

My Friends

Scar Tissue

Otherside

Californication

By The Way

Can't Stop
Zephyr Song

Dani California

Can`t be arsed to name their best songs.

Here`s how I rank their discography.

1. Stadium Arcadium

2. Blood Suger Sex magik

3. One Hot Minute

4. By The Way

5. Californication

6. Mother`s Milk

7. The Getaway

8. I'm with You

9. The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

10. Freaky Styley 

11. The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers would have been a better album if it wasn't overproduced like it was. I never really liked Freaky Styley all that much. The Uplift Mofo Party Plan is one of my favorite albums of all time because it's so much fun. Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik are two pretty great records but I don't think I like them as much as most people do. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I think One Hot Minute is one of their better records, though it is pretty different in regards to their sound.

Californication contains a lot of the songs that first got me into the band, so it'll always hold a special spot. By the Way was kinda "meh" overall, with some pretty solid tracks peppered throughout, especially the closer Venice Queen. I like the guitar work on Stadium Arcadium, but like most double albums (at least in my experience) several of the songs feel like they're outtake material otherwise. I liked "I'm with You" and "I'm Beside You" when they first came out, now they're kinda forgettable. I finally sat down and listened to "The Getaway" the other day, and I gotta say, I wasn't very impressed. Can't really remember anything from it, then again, I have only listened to it once, but that's the first time I've listened to a RHCP record and walked away without a new favorite song. Not saying the album was bad, I just didn't enjoy it like I usually enjoy RHCP records.

All that being said, I think The Uplift Mofo Party Plan through Californication is my favorite part of their catalog. Every single album is strong all the way through, and I never get bored of any of them. Their first two records were pretty weak as compared to what would come later (though if they had got to make their first album the way they wanted to, as was shown in the Out in LA demos, it would have been a much better start). By the Way and Stadium Arcadium were good, even though cracks were beginning to show at this period (once again, in my opinion). Recent records haven't been bad, just kind of disappointing and underwhelming.

Transcending

Shallow Be Thy Game

Tearjerker

Soul To Squeeze

Johnny, Kick A Hole In The Sky

Nobody Weird Like Me

Dosed

Scar Tissue

Otherside

Desecration Smile

Wet Sand

Turn It On Again

Brendan's Death Song

Behind The Sun

Mellowship Slinky In B Major

The Righteous & The Wicked

On 7/29/2018 at 1:08 AM, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers would have been a better album if

They had a better frontman. Kiedis is the weakest member of the band.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

They had a better frontman. Kiedis is the weakest member of the band.

very true but he gives them personality and that goes a long way

8 minutes ago, sixes said:

very true but he gives them personality and that goes a long way

True. Musically he`s average at best but he seems to have leadership qualities with which he compensates his lack of musical skils.

Cali, BTW and SA are the only albums I can truly enjoy. John's guitar and vocals = greatness. "Dosed" is so fucking good.

It simply wouldn't be RHCP without Kiedis half-rapping his nonsense lyrics. Don't care how shit it is, it's fuckin iconic and is an integral piece of their sound

Of course. I just consider John's backing vocals just as integral. It's kinda AFD GNR. There's Kiedis rapping, Flea's bass, John's awesomeness in everything and Will Ferrel.

Just now, maynard said:

Of course. I just consider John's backing vocals just as integral. It's kinda AFD GNR. There's Kiedis rapping, Flea's bass, John's awesomeness in everything and Will Ferrel.

sry i was responding to ragnar

28 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

It simply wouldn't be RHCP without Kiedis half-rapping his nonsense lyrics. Don't care how shit it is, it's fuckin iconic and is an integral piece of their sound

This 100%

I'm going to listen to the old stuff again soon but

I kind of view RHCP as Californication to Stadium Arcadium.

Every band artist whatever rips off others but honestly early Peppers is overly derivative of so many bands and they did it way less interestingly 

14 hours ago, Sauerkraut said:

I'm going to listen to the old stuff again soon but

I kind of view RHCP as Californication to Stadium Arcadium.

Every band artist whatever rips off others but honestly early Peppers is overly derivative of so many bands and they did it way less interestingly 

They were shitfunk abomination up untill Mother`s Milk.

it`s hilarious how their fans still rave on to this day how "great" Hillel Slovak supposedly was.

He was n`t. He was average at best :lol:.