maynard

Truth is the truth hurts - The GNR "controversial opinions" thread

33 minutes ago, maynard said:

I saw this thread in other forum and liked the idea. But I think here it could work differently. We all share our extreme/controversial opinions all the time here. How about we post things we think we all agree on regarding GNR?

I'll post some, you guys can add more or reply to my opinions and how you agree/disagree with them.

Axl should have released more music during the CD era.

Buckethead is great but abuses the same scales (chromatic, minor harmonic) and patterns much more than Slash and his pentatonic/bluesy licks.

Slash got worse with time.

Despite Beta and Fernando being his enablers, most of Axl's career has been ruined by himself.

Their luck was bigger than their talent.

"Axl should have released more music during the CD era." - agree. if he  had done that, maybe people would be more ok with CD era

"Slash got worse with time." - agree. he lost his capability to write amazing riffs and solos, I think he needs someone (axl) to guide him throught the music writting process

"Despite Beta and Fernando being his enablers, most of Axl's career has been ruined by himself." - YES. his insecurity and perfectionism caught him in a limbo of which he hasn't been able to leave until today.

Slash, while excellent at adding to existing pieces or creating riffs others can build off of, is a poor songwriter as an individual.

Axl has written more bad lyrics than good ones. For every Coma or Sweet Child, there are four Get in the Rings, Shotgun blues, Anything goes, scraped, etc.

Relatedly, civil war is a silly fucking song and a case study in how it doesn't really matter what you say but how you say it. 

I don't know how controversial this is, but while I'm here, DJ Ashba was such an inconceivably awful guitar player, I have no idea why in the world he lasted as long as he did or why he was hired in the first place.

2002 was the best non-classic gnrlineup, even if that may have been axl's weakest time vocally

This thread can be a start to a new level of debate and exchange of opinions.

see you all here tomorrow.

Edited by auad

1 hour ago, maynard said:

CD would be way more appreciated and receive so much less hate if it hadn't had to carry the entire burden of being Axl's ONLY release during his 25-ish years of carrying on the GnR name by himself.

It is a shame that Axl stopped caring about his fans and his music and instead just concentrates on making money. He could have been the best rock singer of all time.

25 minutes ago, comedy enthusiast said:

Slash's heroin use affected the band more than Steven's.  Several times turning blue, several times going to rehab, massive denial about his problem.  

Did it really? But wasn't Slash still pretty much functional? I mean, after the UYIs, Slash quickly released a new album and did a world tour. How exactly did his addiction affect the band?

15 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

He could have been the best rock singer of all time.

I think he could have even become more than just a singer. He could've got some mainstream attention because of the GNR name and also be cool around the alternative rock circle since he was working with people like BH and Brain. He could've done something truly special.

Edited by maynard

I already mentioned that he OD'd multiple times.  And his personality changed.  And Axl mentioned his addiction at Rock in Rio.  You can live in denial all you want.  Slash was a raging addict and basically ceded the band to Axl because he was more concerned with his heroin.  

http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/appetite-reconstruction-guns-n-roses-landmark-debut-album-30-years-later-063630123.html

And that's just a taste.  

6 minutes ago, comedy enthusiast said:

You can live in denial all you want.

No need to get deffensive. Not the point of the thread.

Seems as if the entire band had a hand in the demise of GnR.

Axl's ego and insecurities

Slash/Adler/Izzy drug addiction

Duff alcoholism

Wonder what would have happened if GnR would have released one album in 1991 (The best of the two Illusions), toured for a year and then took a break from each other for a couple years. Maybe released the eight remaining best Illusions songs on an EP in 1993 (ala Lies) just to give the fans a little treat.

Then got back together in 1995 and wrote an album and toured.

Taking a break from each other might have saved the band.

I can't even imagine a world where we had eight GnR albums.

7 minutes ago, maynard said:

Speaking of the UYIs, I'll add to my list:

There's no better UYI, both have a few good songs and lots of awful ones.

Imagine this album in 1991

You Could Be Mine

Perfect Crime

Don't Cry

Civil War

Yesterdays

Pretty Tied Up

November Rain

Live and Let Die

Heaven's Door

Don't Damn Me

Estranged

Coma

2 hours ago, maynard said:

I saw this thread in other forum and liked the idea. But I think here it could work differently. We all share our extreme/controversial opinions all the time here. How about we post things we think we all agree on regarding GNR?

I'll post some, you guys can add more or reply to my opinions and how you agree/disagree with them.

Buckethead is great but abuses the same scales (chromatic, minor harmonic) and patterns much more than Slash and his pentatonic/bluesy licks.

Slash got worse with time.

Despite Beta and Fernando being his enablers, most of Axl's career has been ruined by himself.

Their luck was bigger than their talent.

Izzy should have been be involved in the "reunion."

AFD should been a 7 track album like how they used to release them in the 70s.. Would have been perfect then

1 WTTJ

2 ISE

3 NT

4 Mr. B

5 PC

6 SCOM

7 RQ

Cut the rest of the fat off

2 hours ago, maynard said:

No need to get deffensive. Not the point of the thread.

...said the guy who used "quickly put out an album" and "did a world tour" as examples which somehow are exclusive from being a junkie.  Yeap, people still talking about that album even to this day.  lol

Axl's 80s, 90s, and mid 00s voice is the result of smoking, drinking, and snorting cocaine.

Axl is queerer than a two bob note. 

Edited by Barry

* Guns N' Roses is overrated.

* Guns N' Roses should have been like the Sex Pistols and broke up after their first album.

* Slash should have refused to record "One In A Million."

* Steven Adler should have never been fired.

* Alan Niven should have never been fired.

* Use Your Illusion should have been ONE album and it should have been released in 1990.

* Axl Rose should of had a solo career.

* Everything about GNR between 1997-2014 should be erased and forgotten.

* GNR will never record a new album.

Edited by Dr. Brownstone

its astounding how badly axl blew his chance with new gnr

he should've fired robin after he found bucket head

he really only needed tommy, bucket head, freese, and maybe pitman

buckethead and fortus would have been great

8 hours ago, maynard said:

lol no

on his pikes maybe ok

but no

3 hours ago, maynard said:

Richard Fortus is the most GNRish guy Axl has ever hired. 

a perpetual family man and fitness freak?

5 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Imagine this album in 1991

still too many covers 

I honestly believe this:  I'm not trying to be snarky or a shitlord or contrarian.

I think all the problems, faults, ineptitude, dumbfuckery, laziness, baffling decisions....ALLLLLL of it.  Fucking ALL of it....is on Axl and Axl alone and has always been on Axl.

The other guys wanted to be the Stones or Aerosmith.  They wanted to be a successful fucking band with longevity that released new music and performed for fans at regular reasonable intervals.  They wanted a career.

Axl fucked it up, as he has been doing since day one.  All the other excuses of drugs and all that shit never stopped ever other member from writing and releasing and touring.   The outlier is and always has been Axl.

I fucking still love the retard, but stop trying to delegate blame. 

To paraphrase "The Royal Tenenbaums," 

‘The brilliance of the young Tenenbaums Guns N' Roses had been erased by two decades of betrayal, failure and disaster’ 

Squarely due to the actions of one unhinged ginger nutball.

Edited by EstrangedTWAT

8 hours ago, comedy enthusiast said:

Slash's heroin use affected the band more than Steven's.  Several times turning blue, several times going to rehab, massive denial about his problem.  

You are trying to convince people in a forum where are a bunch of addicts or people from 3rd world countries where drug dealing puts food on their tables that drug is a bad thing? :lol:

What really affected the band was Paul Huge.

Btw...

S