Sign in to follow this  
arnold layne

2018-2019 NFL Discussion

7 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Joe Flacco to the Broncos. 

Like or dislike?

They should have waited to get Foles imo.

Both teams are stupid. 

If Jackson is the best the Ravens can do for QB, they are in deep shit. Wouldn't be surprised if it cost Harbaugh his job next season. 

Broncos jumped the gun. They should have waited until after the draft. They can't even really trade yet anyway. Trades officially begin in March I hear. 

22 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Both teams are stupid. 

If Jackson is the best the Ravens can do for QB, they are in deep shit. Wouldn't be surprised if it cost Harbaugh his job next season. 

Broncos jumped the gun. They should have waited until after the draft. They can't even really trade yet anyway. Trades officially begin in March I hear. 

Flacco sucks too. I read that once he signed his mega deal that he lost all his motivation. He is a below average qb now. 

Some dudes get their big contract and work extra hard to justify if. Some dudes get their big deal....and when that clock alarm rings at 5 AM they say “fuck it. I’m too tired to go work out. I will just do it later. And besides, I’ve got 30 million in the bank and a guaranteed 20 million a year for the next five years. My team is going to cut me.” 

Clayton Kershaw turned down the first mega deal the Dodgers offered him when he was young. Half because he didn’t know how the Dodgers would look on seven years. AND he said what if I get hurt or suck, and that he couldn’t morally accept a deal paying him 25 million a year if he didn’t deserve it. (Or words to that effect). 

Guys like Kershaw, LeBron and Tom Brady get that big deal and work harder so they can justify it. 

Other guys get their money and it makes them lose their edge. 

Machado is a better player than Harper. But you know Harper will always strive for greatness..we aren’t sure about Machado. He seems like a dude that could stop training as hard once he gets that 250 million dollar deal. 

Mike Trout will work hard....Joe Flacco lost his desire. 

32 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Both teams are stupid. 

Jackson got exposed late and no QB can run the ball 15 times a game for a full season. He will be hurt and banged up all the time. 

Did you see the story about Hoyer and Peyton Manning!

Basically

Hoyer watched Peyton Manning’s show where he breaks down a player or team’s offense. Hoyer was watching and went “holy shit. They are still running the same plays and using the same verbiage from almost a decade ago.”  He was able to tell the Patriots coaches how the offense was ran. 

McVay was the tight ends coach and Shannahan was a coach back in 2000-2003 (Miami maybe). Shannahan then went to Cleveland as the OC and for one season, Hoyer was the QB. Well Shannahan was using McVay’s offense. 

So hoyer is watching Peyton break down The Rams offense and has his mind blown. Same plays. Same verbiage. Exactly the same. 

How did this help the Pats? 

Hoyer was able to tell his defensive players what happens on specific plays and formations. 

Two best examples. 

On the late interception.  Hoyer told them on these specific plays the QB checks to see where the (whatever position) is lined up. If they are cheating and a half step closer to the line the its a blitz. So if Goff sees that, the play is to launch a deep pass to the right side of fhe field. 

All game Romo kept saying “the Rams can’t figure out who is blitzing. Brilliant game plan by the Pats. But one of these plays Goff is going to guess right and get a big play.” Lol - no. That was ever going to happen. It wasn’t a chess match like most games. The Pats KNEW how the Rams reacted to specific coverages. So they were able to disguise those coverages. Usually it’s a guessing game. But the Pats knew and manipulated the Rams offense. 

So on the interception late in the game? Fucking Patriots player knew that Goff was going to throw it there before he even snapped the ball. 

And remember late in the game Romo said McVay made a genius move by not setting up until the last 15 seconds?  Again - absolutely false. 

Hoyer told Big Bill that the Rams set up early so the defense sets up early, then McVay can tell the QB what to do. Coaches mic to QB stops at 15 seconds. 

Rams were 100% focused on the first 30 seconds when McBay could talk to Goff. The weakness of their offense was the final 15 seconds. Which is why the Rams are usually in a bit of a hurry up offense. Because once the mic cuts off, then it was up to Goff to figure out the defense and adjust his play call. 

Since the Pats knew this....they would line up and then switch at the 15 second mark. Leaving Goff to have to figure it out. 

That’s why the Rams stopped lining up until the 15 second mark. 

A side way that helped New England? The rams were basically running the clock out now. And limiting their offensive plays. How do you beat a team that scores a lot? You shorten the game. Bellicheck forced the high power offensive juggernaught to go into a stall. Brilliant. 

But to wrap it up and tie it together. 

Patriots knew how the Rams reacted to specific defensive formations. So they disguised them all. Leaving Goff and McVay befuddled. 

Once the Rams coaching staff figures that out they react by telling Goff to not set up until 15 seconds. Thinking then Pats couldn’t adjust their plays.

but in reality, McVay shot himself in the foot. Because then Goff had to read and adjust to the Pats defense. Something he wasn’t good at yet (too young).  Brady and Brees can do it. Second year QBs can’t outsmart veteran coaches and players. 

mcvay’s big switch - which Romo said was a genius move - actually played right into the Pat’s hands. 

TL/DR - if Hoyer wasn’t on the Pats it would have been a totally different game. And even if he was, if McVay would have adjusted his plays and verbiage over the years.....it would have been a totally different game. 

Is that pure luck then for the Pats? Not really. Hoyer knew the 2018 Rams playbook because he played 11 games for an offensive coordinator in 2011....and that OC was on a coaching staff in 2003 where McVay was a tight ends coach. Why he never changed any of that up??!!

Can you imagine the Pats losing a super bowl because of a tight ends coach from a decade earlier from another team? Or “we beat the Pats because they played the same exact offense they ran in the first super bowl loss to the Giants. They used the same plays and the same signals and verbiage.”

apologies for spelling, year and number mistakes. Typing this in a hot bath tub and going from memory. 

Was happy to see The Browns picked up Kareem Hunt. Maybe the NFL can now quit pretending that its fans, owners, and players give two shits about domestic violence. Hunt's dropping by KC (and subsequent suspension) cost the fans an entertaining superbowl this year. Leave the punishment for murder and domestic violence up to the courts and let these guys play football. If the lawman don't getcha than the CTE almost certainly will. That is life in the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

Was happy to see The Browns picked up Kareem Hunt. Maybe the NFL can now quit pretending that its fans, owners, and players give two shits about domestic violence. Hunt's dropping by KC (and subsequent suspension) cost the fans an entertaining superbowl this year. Leave the punishment for murder and domestic violence up to the courts and let these guys play football. If the lawman don't getcha than the CTE almost certainly will. That is life in the NFL. 

Nate hates Silver

But I firmly believe Roger Goodale is the worst commish in sports 

2 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Whoever spilled out that secret within the New England Org. made the wrong decision. You never know. St. Louis Los Angeles may just play New England next season and the outcome can be different because of this.

What's that saying? Loose lips sink ships.

10 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Why would you hate a sports franchise? For being successful? That’s something we all should celebrate and try and achieve ourselves. 

Success is a good thing. Not a bad thing. 

I have a hard time hating on a dynasty.  I don;t care for them, but I think things like the Yankees winning are good for baseball, the Lakers being relevant is good for the NBA, and Duke in CBB and Alabama in CFB.  None are my favorite teams, but the respect is there.  

On topic, why doesn't a team like Green Bay offer up their 2nd 1st round pick (from the Saints) for Antonio Brown?

4 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

Why would you hate a sports franchise? For being successful? That’s something we all should celebrate and try and achieve ourselves. 

Success is a good thing. Not a bad thing. 

Yes skeeter. It was merely a little comment to add to AxlisOld's disdain for vegan diets. 

1 minute ago, deelowbrown said:

I have a hard time hating on a dynasty.  I don;t care for them, but I think things like the Yankees winning are good for baseball, the Lakers being relevant is good for the NBA, and Duke in CBB and Alabama in CFB.  None are my favorite teams, but the respect is there.  

On topic, why doesn't a team like Green Bay offer up their 2nd 1st round pick (from the Saints) for Antonio Brown?

The NBA is different. Hard work doesn't make a dynasty in the NBA. Having a city in the coast with 70 degree weather does. False equivalency.

4 hours ago, deelowbrown said:

They might be leery with a new coach and cocky QB....adding a big personality to the mix might be dangerous. 

Steelers realky kind of hosed themselves. 

They could have went for the instant rebuild as soon as Bell said he was sitting out. Bell, Brown and Big Ben.  They could have probably gotten a 1st and 2nd for all three of those guys (over two years) at the start of last season. 

Without them, they go 3-13 and have one of the top 5 picks in the draft. Plus 3 extra firsts and 3 extra seconds ....

Instead what are they going to get? Nothing for Ben. Maybe a second and fifth for Brown. And is Bell a free agent now?

4 hours ago, arnold layne said:

The NBA is different. Hard work doesn't make a dynasty in the NBA. Having a city in the coast with 70 degree weather does. False equivalency.

Why do you think NBA athletes want warm weather and beaches but athletes in other sports don’t?

3 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Why do you think NBA athletes want warm weather and beaches but athletes in other sports don’t?

They do but players have less power in where they want to play in other sports. 

1 minute ago, arnold layne said:

They do but players have less power in where they want to play in other sports. 

How so? 

The most money an NBA player can make is by resigning with his current team once his 7-year rookie contract is over. 

Nba has 15 man rosters. 

NFL has 53 man rosters and a 5 man practice job. 

MLb has 25 man rosters plus each team has approx 125 guys in their minor league system. 

The NBA has the least amount of roster spots...so the hardest of the three sports to purposely select where you want to go. 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, Skeeter said:

How so? 

The most money an NBA player can make is by resigning with his current team once his 7-year rookie contract is over. 

Nba has 15 man rosters. 

NFL has 53 man rosters and a 5 man practice job. 

MLb has 25 man rosters plus each team has approx 125 guys in their minor league system. 

The NBA has the least amount of roster spots...so the hardest of the three sports to purposely select where you want to go. 

Players have more power in free agency than they do in the NFL. 

That's why LeBron won rings in Miami. He phoned his buddy Wade and Bosh and said let's all get lit in Miami. 

Now there's rumors KD and Kyrie are taking their talents to New York.

The NBA is a glorified rec league. It's hard to get invested in a team when the roster changes so much every year. You can have one lineup this year and have a completely different starting five the next. 

The definition of 'team' is lost in the NBA. It's a revolving door. 

9 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Non story. Who cares.

I'm going to start the TB12 program @AxlisOld. I'm already 27 so I probably won't get six Super Bowl rings, but if I eat my tofu now maybe I can get two.

Tofu mimics estrogen in the body. Just saying.