Skeeter

NBA 2017-2018

5 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Congrats GS for winning this season's NBA Finals. 

Shit league. 

You never know until the games are played. 

Two years ago they broke the single season wins record - and lost in the finals. 

Alabama went 11-0 last year and killed everybody. Some people were saying they might be the greatest college football team of all time. They lost in the championship. 

New England Patriots went 16-0 one year and then lost in the super bowl. 

Just out of curiosity, which pro sports league do you think is good? In the NFL, The Patriots are favored to go to the Super Bowl. 

23 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

Just out of curiosity, which pro sports league do you think is good? In the NFL, The Patriots are favored to go to the Super Bowl. 

I just feel that we have a general idea of who who is going to make the championship game in the NBA before the season starts. I think I just make a big deal of it more than I should only because I am a huge basketball fan and I truly believe the NBA is the worst professional commissioned league out of all the sports.

The NBA, I think, needs a major makeover. It needs a lot of changes.

I don't know very much about the NHL nor the MLB, but I think there is way more parity in these leagues than the NBA ( @bacardimayne - for hockey and I assume @magisme & @The Linguini Occurrence? - for baseball might correct me here.).

From an outsider's perspective most people may dismiss the NFL as an unequal league but the truth is New England is just a better run organization than most. 

Which brings me to your next question. I think we will see New England and (unfortunately) Pittsburgh make an appearance in the AFC Championship Game. Pittsburgh thrives under the radar and I think they are this season. 

As for the NFC, I cannot see Green Bay having much success this season with Rodgers out indefinitely. Minnesota will most likely win the NFC North with them ultimately being bested by Seattle or (I think) New Orleans. The NFC is a roulette. Philadelphia may look good but I see them losing down the stretch to a veteran Drew Brees trying to make an aging statement or a well coached Pete Carroll team. 

We will see.

Yeah some of the stats I hear about the lack of parity in the NBA are amazing. I think I heard that a team had never come back from down 3-0 and that a #8 seed had never beat a #1 seed? Crazy stuff.

The NBA should cut down to 6 teams. Let all the stars decide which of their friends they want to team up with and have at it.

12 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

Yeah some of the stats I hear about the lack of parity in the NBA are amazing. I think I heard that a team had never come back from down 3-0 and that a #8 seed had never beat a #1 seed? Crazy stuff.

#8 seed has beaten the #1 seed five times since the nba expanded to an 8-Team conference playoff. 

But isn’t that actually a good thing?  

I would rather see a team advance that played well for the entire 82-game season. Rather than a team that was mediocre for six months but just got hot for a week in the playoffs. 

In all reality its a joke that there is even #8 seeds in a championship tournament. 

Sports constantly pussy out and reward mediocrity rather than celebrating success. Teams that go 500 during the regular season shouldn’t be in a championship tournament. 

This new trend to reward failure and give as many people possible trophies as possible is a concept I don’t agree with. 

13 hours ago, magisme said:

The NBA should cut down to 6 teams. Let all the stars decide which of their friends they want to team up with and have at it.

@Skeeter and I have had this argument before.

I blame the age of free agency but he doesn't agree with me. He says players should have the right to play and sign with whichever team they'd like. It's a tough argument to counter.

The only rebuttal I have for that is the product (basketball in particular) is suffering as a result. Nobody besides high schoolers particularly get too excited about LeBron recruiting six of his friends and playing team manager. 

In the NBA's defense the other leagues have more to work with. They need more players on the roster and that's why it's more challening to make dream teams.

I say ban free agency in the NBA.

4 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

I blame the age of free agency but he doesn't agree with me. He says players should have the right to play and sign with whichever team they'd like. It's a tough argument to counter.

The only rebuttal I have for that is the product (basketball in particular) is suffering as a result. Nobody besides high schoolers particularly get too excited about LeBron recruiting six of his friends and playing team manager. 

In the NBA's defense the other leagues have more to work with. They need more players on the roster and that's why it's more challening to make dream teams.

There's nothing to do about it until the sports $ bubble bursts and all of their salaries get reset back to levels below Monopoly money.

1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

If the nba should ban free agency, you must also apply the same logic to all sports. Right?

You guys don’t like it when one team is dominate. But then you want to end free agency? Think about that! The most dominate teams of all time were because of no free agency. Boston in the nba. Yankees in baseball. They dominated for a decade at a time because there wasn’t free agency. 

So no free agency would have the exact opposite effect than what you are wishing for. Teams would dominate for years upon years. 

Also, without free agency, players would have no control over their income and career. If a team controls you for life, then they decide how much to pay you. If you don’t like it your only option is to retire. In the old days there were baseball players who won the mvp award and were given a pay decrease the following year. 

Should you only be allowed to work at 7/11 for the rest of your life? 

Free agency is what keeps teams from being able to win 5-6 championships in a row. 

Sports fans are an interesting bunch. Nobody complained when Jordan and the Bulls won a bunch of championships. Or the Lakers were dominating. Golden State hasn’t even won two in a row and people act like the next five years are already decided. 

1 hour ago, bacardimayne said:

This page has convinced me that the NBA is even more shit than I thought it was. Well done.

It's complete shit as far as the number of relevant teams, but there are a lot of exciting players, so individual games are often fun to watch. It's strange. I watch a lot of basketball but I pay zero attention to the standings. On the macro level, basketball is trash. On the micro, it's pretty good.

I think 3 pointers have become a problem too, but that's a whole other discussion.

I can't wait to watch the 76ers and Celtics play each other over the next decade. There's so much young talent in this league right now. The future is very bright for this league.

35 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

If the nba should ban free agency, you must also apply the same logic to all sports. Right?

This is objectively false. 

The NBA is its own entity. It can do whatever it wants and has no association in any way, shape, or form with other sports leagues.

With this being said, it is by far the worst professional league in the United States and it's not even close. 

I think some of this problem stems from the fact that basketball doesn't rely on teamwork as much as the other leagues. Some dope owner can plug in a Stephen Curry and make a dent in the season. These players see that they kind of have the upper hand and decide to play ball with their friends in South Beach or the West Coast.

Players have more power in the NBA contrary to other leagues and we are seeing the effects. Is it fair? No. But you can't compare how the NBA is commissioned to how the NFL is commissioned. It is apples to oranges. 

I'm loving the 76ers young talent. Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid are the real deal. Fultz is probably a couple years away still but you can see flashes of what made him a number one pick. Health permitting, I see this team playing in the finals about three or four years from now.  

13 minutes ago, Haters Gonna Hate said:

First year in a while I am excited to see how the Timberwolves do

Newsflash: If you are really invested you might want to stock up on the liquor to drink away your sorrow. 

Source: Former Minnesotan. Still one at heart. 

This Timberwolves team has the most individual talent they've ever had. Not that that says much since the only great player they've had in the team's entire history before now was KG.