Sign in to follow this  

read that when I was 8 or 9....I should give it a re-read as I remember liking it very much and I believe it was the first King book I read....The Ledge and The Last Rung on the Ladder are ones that still stick in my addled brain

Here are a few things about the It movie I found disappointing. 

Eddie was too neurotic. Yes we get the picture. He was a nervous wreck, but this was overkill. 

Paul Bunyan doesn't come alive. That's my favorite part in the book. 

Stan doesn't see the bird. They always fuck up Stan's story ffs. He sees a fucking bird and freaks out, calls it different names. This is significant because Stan is the one that finds It's kryptonite (i.e. not showing fear).

The kid that played Ben was shit.

Richie wasn't too good either.

Things they got right. 

Patrick is in the movie, Henry kills his father (the TV sequence was brilliant), they added the creepy house into the movie, and the actor who played the clown did a decent job.

14 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

I`m thinking to start reading The Stand but it`s too damn long. @sixes is it worth giving a shot ?

Absolutely. It's about as good as King gets. Go for the updated version...it's even longer!

7 minutes ago, sixes said:

Absolutely. It's about as good as King gets. Go for the updated version...it's even longer!

It does n`t have filler pages ? As far as I know it`s his longest book, right ?

6 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

It does n`t have filler pages ? As far as I know it`s his longest book, right ?

Not sure. If it's not, it's right up there. He does have a few 1,000 pagers.

Filler? I would say less than a lot of his longer works. The Tommyknockers, for instance, is a prime example of him writing to excess with no payoff

Making my way thru his newest, Sleeping Beauties, which he co-wrote with his son Owen King....it's 700 pages long...this motherfucker....

Also just finished Strange Weather, a collection of 4 novellas, written by Joe Hill who just so happens to also be Stephen King's son...

Finally, after long, arduous and and daunting reading finished The Stand uncut version.

@sixes I did n`t like it as much as I hoped I would.

It`s kind of inconsistent. There are brilliant moments and then there are some filler pages.

Ending seems rushed to me. Personally, I prefer The Shining. It`s more focused with less filler.

On 12/12/2017 at 11:59 AM, Ragnar said:

Finally, after long, arduous and and daunting reading finished The Stand uncut version.

@sixes I did n`t like it as much as I hoped I would.

It`s kind of inconsistent. There are brilliant moments and then there are some filler pages.

Ending seems rushed to me. Personally, I prefer The Shining. It`s more focused with less filler.

He always seems to lose focus in his longer works at some point with maybe the exception of Under The Dome

His short story collections are very good. I'd recommend all of them

3 hours ago, Haters Gonna Hate said:

11/22/63 show with James Franco was pretty good heard it's different than the book though. Want to read that after It.

The book was really good!

Read that one in 2-3 days it was so compelling.

A friend of mine is going to be doing some artwork for an upcoming deluxe hardcover edition of Misery! So cool.

If I was going to buy a deluxe edition of one of King's books, Misery is one I would get.

I'll never forget reading that book.

Read it in one sitting on a camping trip to the Catskills. Phenomenal.

I don't want to say too much more about my friend, and what he is doing for the book, because I don't want to blow up his spot, but King contacted him and described what he wanted, etc.

My friend has not read the book, and he was unaware that I had, and am a big fan.

He gave me this awful, hatchet-job description of the plot that was really wrong :lol: 

I am really happy for him, so I just played along :) 

Dead-zone-poster.jpg6621852-M.jpg

Next up is Stephen King's The Dead Zone

Great concept. 

I confess this is another one, where I never finished the book, and I have only seen parts of the film.

Dunno why.

I enjoyed both. I hope to go back to this book some day, and then watch the film afterwards. Christopher Walken is the man!

4 hours ago, John Bonham said:

Dead-zone-poster.jpg6621852-M.jpg

Next up is Stephen King's The Dead Zone

Great concept. 

I confess this is another one, where I never finished the book, and I have only seen parts of the film.

Dunno why.

I enjoyed both. I hope to go back to this book some day, and then watch the film afterwards. Christopher Walken is the man!

The only book of his that I couldn't get thru was The Eyes of the Dragon

5 minutes ago, sixes said:

The only book of his that I couldn't get thru was The Eyes of the Dragon

Loved the book.  The tv show with Anthony Michael Hall was disappointing and haven't seen the Christopher Walken version, I bet it's good.   

5 minutes ago, Major Mayhem said:

Loved the book.  The tv show with Anthony Michael Hall was disappointing and haven't seen the Christopher Walken version, I bet it's good.   

think you quoted the wrong person :reunion:

On 8/12/2017 at 11:45 AM, John Bonham said:

The Shining

Have not read the book.

I know the film and the book are very different, including the finale.

One of the Greatest Films Ever Made IMO.

Did you ever see The Shining miniseries?

King hates the Kubrick film so he decided to have it remade as a miniseries and he was very hands on with it. 

Finally saw It, the scariest part was the molesting father, left me disturbed. 

Demonic clowns are pretend. 

Molesting fathers are very real. 

I wanted to purell my brain. 

What Stephen King novel should I start with?

I was thinking Nightshift or 11/22/63 (as I loved the series) but am fishing for suggestions.

Skeleton Crew is good intro book of short stories. There’s a lot different King styles there. Axl’s favorite is The Stand it seems kind of long.