Sign in to follow this  

adaptations from King's work that I would recommend.....

Carrie

The Shining

The Running Man

Cujo

Christine

Creepshow

The Green Mile

The Shawshank Redemption

Stand By Me

Children of the Corn

The Dead Zone

Firestarter

Salem's Lot

Storm of the Century

Pet Semetary

Misery

The Dark Half

Dolores Claiborne

Sometimes They Come Back

Apt Pupil

Hearts in Atlantis

Secret Window

The Mist

It

The Stand

11/22/63

The Night Flier

Cat's Eye

12 minutes ago, sixes said:

adaptations from King's work that I would recommend.....

Dolores Claiborne

they shot that in my hometown, i was only 10 or so, it was a big deal. Kind of fun.

And they used a local lighthouse in Storm of the Century.

It seems a lot of his books are set in the northeast, so NS has been used quite a few times.

Just now, jackie moon said:

they shot that in my hometown, i was only 10 or so, it was a big deal. Kind of fun.

And they used a local lighthouse in Storm of the Century.

It seems a lot of his books are set in the northeast, so NS has been used quite a few times.

Yeah, he lives in Maine and most of his books are set there

The Shining

Have not read the book.

I know the film and the book are very different, including the finale.

One of the Greatest Films Ever Made IMO.

44 minutes ago, Sora said:

What should I start with? 

Read Thinner or Misery.

Anything from the 1980s, but start with one of his shorter novels and see if you like it.

On 8/5/2017 at 11:42 AM, ManetsBR said:

Great thread, JB.

I've read the book and seen the film a couple of times too. It's hard to compare, but I think I'll go with the book.

It's King's first book and I rarely saw him write that way again. In some parts of the book he leaves the regular fictional prose and instead the chapters are like, reports from the Carrie Comission, snippets from newspapers etc. It's a really interesting way to tell the story, made the whole thing feel much more real.

And yet, when he gets back to the "normal" storytelling, he also manages to make us feel a lot of empathy for Carrie.

The first movie is great, but even though I already knew how things were going to end when I read the book, the ending was far more devastating in paper.

Started Carrie on your recommendation Manets.

Breezing through.

Great read.

4 hours ago, John Bonham said:

Started Carrie on your recommendation Manets.

Breezing through.

Great read.

Check out The Dead Zone, if you haven't read it. Old school Steve

On 8/10/2017 at 2:35 PM, arnold layne said:

It was okay. Not really keen on the part where eleven year olds are gangbanging though. 

What the fuck. 

Not all of us were playing video games and having tea parties as youngsters, bruh!

Loved King as a teenager. The first half is his career was pure gold. I read Misery in one night, got one hour of sleep and then went to school. 

But I think he is was so productive that his creativity went dry. He started doing new twists on stories that he had already written. A couple times I can remember reading the back of a new book and thinking "he already did a story about a car that came to life. Two stories actually."  

And he started to lose his ability to finish a book. 

He writes a great story, takes us on an amazing journey. But can't deliver an ending. Here is this magical evil force that is unstoppable and about to destroy the world, nothing can stop it.....but the hero of the story finds a toy figurine that belonged to his dead son, and a tear falls from his eye onto the toy, giving it magical powers strong enough to kill the devil himself. 

Its easy to create an amazing and scary situation. The real art is how you wrap that story up. How the hero somehow fights his way through the unwinnable situation and saves the day. 

I do like how he lets aspiring film makers use his stories for their movies. That is really cool of him. 

1 hour ago, Skeeter said:

He writes a great story, takes us on an amazing journey. But can't deliver an ending.

This is true, and it has been that way for a long time.

I loved The Stand, it is a fun ride, and it was one of the first King books I ever read, but there is no satisfying ending.

It doesn't matter. The journey is the destination.

He started doing new twists on stories that he had already written. A couple times I can remember reading the back of a new book and thinking "he already did a story about a car that came to life. Two stories actually."  

Yes, this is also true.

I can think of 3 SK stories about a car that came to life.

Another one, is The Dark Half. That story has been recyled by King more than once (Secret Window, Secret Garden, etc.)

I keep quitting King, and telling myself that I have spent enough time on his books, but then I keep coming back. :shrugs:

The Stand was my first book I read by King and it was great. Pet Sematary and Salem's Lot are also some of my favorites. The mini series "Storm Of The Century" is also pretty good if no one has ever checked it out, it has a really cool premise.

edit: How the fuck did I leave out "Misery." Kathy Bates in the movie was amazing.

On 8/12/2017 at 8:45 AM, John Bonham said:

The Shining

Have not read the book.

I know the film and the book are very different, including the finale.

One of the Greatest Films Ever Made IMO.

Apparently King hated Kubrick's adaptation. He liked the miniseries on NBC in the 90s way more.

4 minutes ago, bran said:

How the fuck did I leave out "Misery." Kathy Bates in the movie was amazing.

I read Misery in one night, got one hour of sleep and then went to school. 

Same.

I was in the Catskills on a camping trip and I picked up Misery and read the first line.

I read that book in one day(!).

I was hooked from the first line.

I love the way that book was written.

King wrote his Eighties books really high on drugs.

I think that has a lot to do with why I like them so much.

A lot of people don't care for Tommyknockers, but it is one of my favorites, because I used to be such a coke-head, and it is clearly written by someone blasted out of their mind on coke.

You could eliminate two-thirds of the sentences and not really miss any of the story.

Are we talking movies or books/shorts. Because Stephen King movies are a clusterfuck.

1 minute ago, AxlisOld said:

Are we talking movies or books/shorts. Because Stephen King movies are a clusterfuck.

We are talking all of it yo

3 hours ago, sixes said:

Check out The Dead Zone, if you haven't read it. Old school Steve

His best, in my opinion. Or my favorite. 

The movie is awful, though. I wish someone would remake it. 

I've read The Shining and it's spectacular, but the movie is far superior. I think the main difference on the story is that on the book is much more clear how he is struggling with the lack of alcohol on the hotel, and leaves the doubt of whether the hotel is indeed haunted or if he is in fact just hallucinating. 

But the movie is incredible. One of the best ever made. Watched it on acid once, holy shit. I can't recommend this experience enough. If you know what you're doing, of course. 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, sixes said:

I've read all of his books and collections plus his non fiction stuff...and the Richard Bachman stuff

The only one I could not finish was The Eyes of the Dragon

I envy the literary prowess to boast like that but I never the organization to read books. I have a SK book lying around somewhere.

2 hours ago, Haters Gonna Hate said:

I remember the show Under the Dome being terrible. Is the book any good?

good but about 200 pages too long