Sign in to follow this  

Inspired by arnold's status update.

I figured we could go book-by-book, film-by-film, etc. and discuss everything he's done in a loose, chronological order.

Hulu searched all of New England to find a locale in which to shoot their new "Castle Rock" ongoing series, and they chose my neighbor Orange, Mass. as the worst, most fucked-up town in which to film the series.

It's perfect! Orange, Mass. is totally Castle Rock (or Derry), there is something very, very wrong with that town.

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/07/casting_call_in_orange_for_ste.html

Carrie

Have not read the book, but have seen the film a couple of times.

Kevin Bacon is in that one, right?

Anyone here who has read the book and seen the film want to do a comparison?

Great thread, JB.

I've read the book and seen the film a couple of times too. It's hard to compare, but I think I'll go with the book.

It's King's first book and I rarely saw him write that way again. In some parts of the book he leaves the regular fictional prose and instead the chapters are like, reports from the Carrie Comission, snippets from newspapers etc. It's a really interesting way to tell the story, made the whole thing feel much more real.

And yet, when he gets back to the "normal" storytelling, he also manages to make us feel a lot of empathy for Carrie.

The first movie is great, but even though I already knew how things were going to end when I read the book, the ending was far more devastating in paper.

4 hours ago, John Bonham said:

Carrie

Have not read the book, but have seen the film a couple of times.

Kevin Bacon is in that one, right?

Anyone here who has read the book and seen the film want to do a comparison?

No Kevin Bacon...but John Travolta is in it

Carrie the movie is when Stephen King showed up on my radar.

That movie was on regular TV all of the time—it was part of the US culture and society.

I am going to read that book next.

I have already read too many Stephen King novels, I keep deciding to quit—but every few years I read a couple more to fill in the gaps.

7 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

Carrie the movie is when Stephen King showed up on my radar.

That movie was on regular TV all of the time—it was part of the US culture and society.

I am going to read that book next.

I have already read too many Stephen King novels, I keep deciding to quit—but every few years I read a couple more to fill in the gaps.

I've been thinking about reading a SK novel for awhile - what is your recommendation? 

I watched The Shining recently for the first time - great movie. I also really enjoyed the Storm of the Century TV movie, watched it in 2001 or so, my cousin ruined the ending, 3.5 hours into a 4 hour movie he goes "oh, i think i saw this, he ...." - fucking asshole. He dropped dead of a brain aneurysm at age 19, had it coming if you ask me. 

jk, i loved him and miss him dearly. 

4 minutes ago, jackie moon said:

I've been thinking about reading a SK novel for awhile - what is your recommendation? 

I watched The Shining recently for the first time - great movie. I also really enjoyed the Storm of the Century TV movie, watched it in 2001 or so, my cousin ruined the ending, 3.5 hours into a 4 hour movie he goes "oh, i think i saw this, he ...." - fucking asshole. He dropped dead of a brain aneurysm at age 19, had it coming if you ask me. 

jk, i loved him and miss him dearly. 

IMO SK was at his peak in the 1980s, so I would start there.

Thinner and Misery are both really very well-written and show off his style.

Read the first chapter of either of those and you will be hooked.

Just now, Damn_Smooth said:

I hear The Dark Tower movie sucks. That breaks my heart. I called it when they turned Roland black though.

It has not received good reviews.

Just now, John Bonham said:

It has not received good reviews.

I'm not sure how they managed to fuck it up. I don't even want to see it now.

One of my favorite King stories is Apt Pupil from the Different Seasons collection.

About a kid that has a Nazi fetish.

It is so fucked up.

1 minute ago, bacardimayne said:

The Stand (Extended Edition) is fantastic, as are The Shining and Cujo. I was kind of underwhelmed by Pet Sematary after hearing so much about it, but it was good. Haven't read much else of his stuff.

The Pet Sematary movies are cool.

39 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

Haven't seen the first one since I was 12 or so, but I remember finding it to be terribly cheesy even then and preferring Cujo.

To be honest the only King movies that I didn't find to be (guilty pleasure) cheesefests were Shawshank Redemption and Shining. I like a lot of King movies but most are guilty pleasures let's be honest. My favorite of the bad bunch is Sometimes They Come Back. Mostly because it creeped me out as a kid.

Carrie is a great book. It's been a long time ago that I read it, but I remember to totally get into it. Building up the ending you really wanted to see some dead?

Here are my thoughts on Stephen King. I will probably be lambasted for them, but fuck it. 

Writing-wise, I think he is average at best. I don't know if this is the right word(mags could help me out here), but I think his syntax, and sentence structure is subpar. 

I would go as far as to say that many of our own forum members can write write better than Stephen King. 

However his stories are interesting

and unique. I will say he is a phenomenal storyteller as far as I can tell. It has kept my attention, The Shining was a good movie, and I liked The Dark Tower movie even though most critics said it was shit. 

So his stories are good and original. I will give him that. 

But when I am reading his books, I find myself going over the words sometimes because his thoughts (or where he wanted to take a certain situation) seem jarbled to me...

'Salem's Lot

Anyone? 

This book has a cool premise, Vampires in Maine.

It's as far from the Twilight series, or the Anne Rice vampires series as you can get.

A very different take on vampires.

I have not seen any of the film versions.

I never finished reading this novel, but I did read the prequel story Jerusalem's Lot which is included in the short story collection Night Shift.

Huge king fan....the Dark Tower books are my favorites. The stand was excellent too. His more recent books have been weaker than his earlier works though. I'm about to start the 3rd book from the Mr mercedes series. I still hold out hope that he will write some more DT side stories. 

1 hour ago, Trin9498 said:

Huge king fan....the Dark Tower books are my favorites. The stand was excellent too. His more recent books have been weaker than his earlier works though. I'm about to start the 3rd book from the Mr mercedes series. I still hold out hope that he will write some more DT side stories. 

I have not read that much of his recent stuff.

From the 21st Century...

Doctor Sleep I gave up on, didn't finish.

11/22/63 I totally loved. Read the whole book in a few days.

I loved Cell, another great book from King.

And I read The Colorado Kid, which I enjoyed, but I don't remember much about it.

Dreamcatcher was another one that I couldn't finish.

I liked 11/22/63 but I thought it was a hundred pages too long. Ditto for Under the Dome. 

There re was one book that was really bad. It was like a love story and then the husband died. they used terms like "bad gunky". It was brutal. The name escapes me though. 

I really liked Cell. Dr Sleep was awful but I finished it.

Revival was decent. 

If if you've done the DT series, check out Little Sisters of Eluria. It's a cool short story with Roland. 

7 hours ago, John Bonham said:

'Salem's Lot

Anyone? 

This book has a cool premise, Vampires in Maine.

It's as far from the Twilight series, or the Anne Rice vampires series as you can get.

A very different take on vampires.

I have not seen any of the film versions.

I never finished reading this novel, but I did read the prequel story Jerusalem's Lot which is included in the short story collection Night Shift.

The original Salem's Lot adaptation was a tv miniseries and it's glorious. Fucking Hutch from Starsky & Hutch is the star. Totally worth watching

My fav King novel is Lisey's Story....not typical King but it's a great read. Not sure how the average King fan feels about it. I recommended it to one of my sisters who is a casual enough fan and she loathed it

btw, "bad gunky" is from this

I've read all of his books and collections plus his non fiction stuff...and the Richard Bachman stuff

The only one I could not finish was The Eyes of the Dragon