auad

Jason Newsted: Guns N’ Roses Taught Me ‘What Not to Do’

In 

1992, one of rock’s most ill-fated tours took off as Guns N’ Roses and Metallica embarked on a string of stadium dates. Plagued by riots, late start times from GN’R and a hellish accident that left James Hetfield with second and third-degree burns, the tour left a huge impression on then-Metallica bassist Jason Newsted.

In the 25 years since the chaotic tour, fans have heard all the stories, but Newsted said he learned a great lesson after the tour. After Jason Newsted took us on a personal tour of his ‘RAWK’ art exhibition in New York City, he sat down to recall how Guns N’ Roses taught Metallica “what not to do.”

“We chose to play first, of course, because we wanted to play on time,” Newsted remembers. “If we’re going on at 8:01, we’re on at 8:01. That’s the way it’s always been. That’s why Metallica’s still touring now and crushing everybody and selling more records.”

“[Guns N’ Roses] showed me what I don’t ever want to become,” Newsted adds. “Antics, pissing away of money, disrespecting people that work for you… Looking down on people who look up to you — worst thing you can do, especially in this business. I saw them do that a lot and I didn’t like it.”

Summing up Guns N’ Roses’ career, Newsted claims, “As a band, they were powerful for about three and a half years and really had their sharp teeth and after that everything fell apart.”

Read More: Jason Newsted: Guns N' Roses Taught Me 'What Not to Do' |

Http://loudwire.com/ex-metallica-bassist-jason-newsted-guns-n-roses-taught-me-what-not-to-do/?trackback=tsmclip

He made that same speech on behind the music back in like 98 or 99. 

I mean he's right. 

He has always had a stickup his ass though.  

2 hours ago, magisme said:

I bet you a lot of people have always hated Jason Newsted all of a sudden.

An example

"What not to do."

Yet Guns have just made $230M and their tour isn't even over. Jason now plays clubs... Maybe he should re-evaluate the lessons he thinks he's learned.

wew lad

Btw Jason is right

There will be ten pages of posts mocking Jason and Metallica at that forum. Completely ignoring that everything he said is 100% accurate. 

Just now, Apollo said:

There will be ten pages of posts mocking Jason and Metallica at that forum. Completely ignoring that everything he said is 100% accurate. 

I'm with you... Realize the mental level of some members here ... some are just children ... note for example the amount of likes of certain post above ... Delays in shows ... treating employees and fans badly ... unnecessary madness ... most of all this has a originator... red panda.

I thought this guy was dead.

What has he been doing with all the knowlege he got from GN'R about what not to do?

58 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I will defend my prince Axl to the death!

But for real, GnR was pure rock n' roll at that point.  A giant, bloated, living breathing piece of rock n' roll.  Metallica may have been consummate professionals, but GnR was running wide open, no fucks given.  

Holy shit

Bummer...I always liked Newsted. I shaved my head like his when I was in college. I even owned a Flotsam and Jetsam cassette. Now he's on my shitlist.

Can't

stop

laughing

5 hours ago, altered beast said:

I will defend my prince Axl to the death!

But for real, GnR was pure rock n' roll at that point.  A giant, bloated, living breathing piece of rock n' roll.  Metallica may have been consummate professionals, but GnR was running wide open, no fucks given.  

True. But look what happened to GnR. That tour ended the band. 

Personally I would have rather GnR operated more like Metallica. Stayed together. Released 5-6 albums over the last 25 years. Rather than what we ended up. 

4 hours ago, Budd Dwyer said:

Holy shit

Can't

stop

laughing

Axl could tweet that three or four times a week he eats his own shit. Over at mygnrforum and Truth, 11 people would post that they have been eating their own shit for years. And 23 people would literally start eating their own shit after their next bowel movement. No exaggeration.  

Sure he's right, but it's all things that keeps the legend so good.. I love Metallica, but the story is'nt

quite as good, is it.. And Newsted sure as shit could'nt make anything legendary, he's about as exciting as a plastic bag.. Maybe thats why he has to talk about GNR to get any attention.. ??