Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

Guns N' Roses new album by decade's end

Why doesn’t Axl want to release new music?

Every member of his revolving door of musicians in GnR has wanted to. And how many have eventually left because they got tired of waiting?

How long will Duff and Slash stay before they get tired of being a nostalgic act? 

Hell at this point it wouldn’t be surprising to get another VR album before a GnR release. 

And what will Axl do if Slash leaves the band causing GnR to go back to playing weddings, celebrity birthdays and to small arena crowds in the 5-7,500 people range?

The problem with Axl is that he's completely insane, and totally unpredictable.

We've been fans for decades now, and we're certainly used to disappointment, but every now and then the crazy fucker just does weird shit with no explanation.

He joined AC/DC!! 

After not making any "guest appearances" since, when, Gilby Clarke's club show in 1999, he decided to sing with Billy Joel.

After not recording a single note of new music since Sebastian Bach's cockrock album in 2006 or so, he finally debuts news vocals in a fucking Loony Tunes cartoon.

He's a madman.  I would have said the one thing we can surely count on is never ever hearing new music, but seeing as how he's so unpredictable, even that isn't a certainty.

He apparently spends money like an asshole, but surely he has enough to live the remaining years of his life in opulent luxury without ever being seen in public again.   If he decided to just disappear and never be seen from or heard from again, it wouldn't surprise me.

But then if he announced he was gonna do a 20 show tour as the new singer of Soundgarden, that wouldn't surprise me either.

I think the only thing that would genuinely surprise me (like the Reunion did) would be a new album, EP, or even ONE fucking new song actually released under the name Guns N' Roses.

After all, Axl has integrity.  If there's one thing he stands for, it's telling THE MAN to FUCK OFF, and never ever ever selling out.

ZL8IYWz.jpg

L8XB.gif

5 hours ago, Donald Trump said:

What will come out first, a new GnR album or Axl's tequila? 

The Axl Rose FitBit

11 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

The problem with Axl is that he's completely insane, and totally unpredictable.

We've been fans for decades now, and we're certainly used to disappointment, but every now and then the crazy fucker just does weird shit with no explanation.

He joined AC/DC!! 

After not making any "guest appearances" since, when, Gilby Clarke's club show in 1999, he decided to sing with Billy Joel.

After not recording a single note of new music since Sebastian Bach's cockrock album in 2006 or so, he finally debuts news vocals in a fucking Loony Tunes cartoon.

He's a madman.  I would have said the one thing we can surely count on is never ever hearing new music, but seeing as how he's so unpredictable, even that isn't a certainty.

He apparently spends money like an asshole, but surely he has enough to live the remaining years of his life in opulent luxury without ever being seen in public again.   If he decided to just disappear and never be seen from or heard from again, it wouldn't surprise me.

But then if he announced he was gonna do a 20 show tour as the new singer of Soundgarden, that wouldn't surprise me either.

I think the only thing that would genuinely surprise me (like the Reunion did) would be a new album, EP, or even ONE fucking new song actually released under the name Guns N' Roses.

After all, Axl has integrity.  If there's one thing he stands for, it's telling THE MAN to FUCK OFF, and never ever ever selling out.

ZL8IYWz.jpg

L8XB.gif

Great post. 

You could have also added screenshots of when Axl played a wedding....or a birthday party for a c-level celebrity. 

I think Axl’s comment at the last show about the band needing to “get through this first” was a huge clue. 

He isnt a moron and knows knows fans want new music. And he knows he has to desperately keep Slash in the band or GnR is effectively dead. Or at least back to playing weddings to make payroll. 

I would bet Axl basically said “if we can get through this tour without fighting, and we are all still friendly and onboard - then we can start talking about new music.”

well fhe two years of touring just ended. The box set sold well. The shows went without a glitch and made everyone tens of millions. 

It does make some sense. Axl probably didn’t want another clusterfuck of the band creating a bunch of songs...then fighting and slash/Duff leaving.....and now Axl had 8 more songs to add to his library, which is filled with songs that have multiple different peoooe playing on them. Fans already want CD2 and won’t shut up about it. Imagine the uproar if Axl then sat on new Slash/Duff songs for the next decade. 

Now they can start working on new music. 

8 hours ago, John Bonham said:

The Axl Rose FatBit

So you and your friends can keep track of who really ate the most McDonald's cheeseburgers in 2019. 

Where are all the insiders at?
Did any of the "insiders" actually let us know something that ended up actually happening?

6 hours ago, I_Are_ess said:

There's no insiders anymore. 

Warchild murdered them in their sleep 

Yea.
But it is funny to look back at all the insiders now and see that nobody actually had inside information. Just people making informed guesses. Nothing ever actually came to fruition...and the response always is "well, Axl changed his mind."  I don't just mean people recently, that's been the case for a decade on the forums. Axl changed his mind, plans change, etc.

And now there is zero talk from all these insiders.

7 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Yea.
But it is funny to look back at all the insiders now and see that nobody actually had inside information. Just people making informed guesses. Nothing ever actually came to fruition...and the response always is "well, Axl changed his mind."  I don't just mean people recently, that's been the case for a decade on the forums. Axl changed his mind, plans change, etc.

And now there is zero talk from all these insiders.

I think Axl waits until nobody cares at all until he makes his move. There’s a BB King song called I Never Make My Move Too Soon that plays on his clock radio every morning. 

I don’t think Axl is as crazy as people think. He’s not crazy in an irrational way. It’s more like he cares too much or is worried about what is going to happen. I think Axl or Izzy said it’s a control thing. I interpret that to be like he wants his music/GNR to come from him or the band. When you get success the industry starts to dictate what you should do, fans have expectations. I think Axl and even Slash, Izzy, Duff are aware of these pressures and traps. Some bands are more comfortable with maybe because they worked more with the industry in the first place or accept it. GNR made it by going against the grain. So it must be hard to keep that up. They seem to hold the music up as sacred, the last thing they want to compromise. Slash was talking recently about how he was proud of the way GNR made it. I think that plays into a new record. It’s one thing to tour as GNR for the fans but it’s another to make a new record without Izzy and without that GNR spirit around that time. I know that with Axl, Slash and Duff fans will expect old GNR style music but will it fall short without the old spirit or Izzy’s songwriting. I’m not sure Slash wants to fuck with that. Axl on the other hand sees the albums more like event albums it seems. Each record is different and are these huge artistic statements. The albums kind of chronicle Axl’s life. If Slash and Izzy start writing dirty GNR rock m roll songs I don’t think Axl is going to start singing about street life again. Having said that I think the Alt rock of CD has had it’s moment. The last 10 years since CD has seen a resurgence of traditional rock whether it’s Steel Panther or Black Star Riders and there’s a lot of rock nostalgia around. The stage seems set for GNR to make a progressive classic rock album to finally go full Zeppelin. 

Commercial success usually comes from creating a product that the people can relate to.

But cultural success—becoming a fucking LEGEND—comes from embodying a persona that almost nobody can relate to (Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Michael Jackson, Charlie Sheen, Axl Rose)

These days people don’t want to relate to music, they want music to be a soundtrack to their social media personas. They want music that makes them feel like legends. 

4 hours ago, wasted said:

These days people don’t want to relate to music, they want music to be a soundtrack to their social media personas. They want music that makes them feel like legends. 

This 

I wonder if this is why alot of gangsta rap was popular in the early 2000's 

And now trap for the fortnite generation.

Artistry will certainly head in an interesting direction. 

11 hours ago, I_Are_ess said:

This 

I wonder if this is why alot of gangsta rap was popular in the early 2000's 

And now trap for the fortnite generation.

Artistry will certainly head in an interesting direction. 

In the Age of Amateur Hour rock sort of has to be about identity. The guy on stage reps the audience. They don’t want rock gods. And just doing it’s job. That’s why the biggest bands are Foo Fighters and Nickelback. 

Old legend bands like Guns become selfie opportunities. I went to the GNR show, I got tickets, I bought merch, I met the legends. That’s all that rock has to offer. 

In general rock might not be the choice because it’s not a soundtrack to typing on social media. Nobody is living that lifestyle in the era of MeToo. People want to be inspired to make twitter comments by music. 

Hard Rock is kind of the soundtrack to rape. So even if a rock band is kind repping it’s audience, they also need to be a comedy band like Steel Panther or Eagles of Death Metal now to soften the image of big hairy rocks banging groupies from town to town. 

So Axl’s instincts with DC and Looney Tunes are great. Guns need to be a fun hard rock band that the audience can identify with. 

Edited by wasted