Sign in to follow this  
arnold layne

Your favorite artists and artwork

About the AKIRA anime:  almost exactly 30 years later, it's still just as stunning and breathtaking as ever. I've always loved animation as an art form, and I'll always prefer hand-drawn cel animation to CGI or other forms. This movie to me represents the absolute pinnacle of cel animation. The subject matter is ugly and brutal but the movements, the fluidity, the colors, the shapes are just breathtakingly gorgeous. I'll never get tired of re-watching this movie over and over and over. BUT....I understand it's absolutely not for everyone.

I'll be the first to admit that narratively, it has problems. So I don't really recommend it to people much anymore cause I know the reaction of most people is that the story is too confusing or even "slow and boring" and that it's too violent and that the end sequences are too gross. But I'd still urge people to at least watch the first ten minutes or so, and just appreciate the insane level of detail packed into each and every frame, especially during the sequence that reveals the cityscape and shows the motorcycle gangs fighting. I guarantee you'll see something new every time you watch it. I've seen it countless times and I'm still seeing new things.

About the manga:   AKIRA is simply the most impressive hard sci-fi comic book ever drawn. The sheer scope and scale of the action is unbelievable. The detail in his linework is unparalleled by any artist in Japan or abroad. The action sequences that come one after the other throughout the book are incredibly paced and planned. If this book were to be filmed as a live action movie, it wouldn't be possible, not even with CGI. It's simply the biggest and most impressive action story I've ever seen.

And there's character too. And humor. And humanity. And philosophy. And unimaginable violence that shows just how horrible human nature can be when it's unleashed.

I have had it in print since it was first published in English....I've since added the complete Japanese sets, both in color and black and white.

I have the entire thing on my computer too, but it's just not as good as reading it on paper.

The 35th anniversary box set came out in 2017.....it's expensive but it's worth every penny.   This is a story that deserves to be experienced properly.   You need to see it on a page instead of a screen!

http://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set/dp/1632364611/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=akira+35th&qid=1579179869&sr=8-1

Damn it......it looks like it's out of print and already going for marked up prices.   It was about $200 or so when it first came out, but it was honestly worth it.....wonder if it's any cheaper on ebay....

43 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

About the AKIRA anime:  almost exactly 30 years later, it's still just as stunning and breathtaking as ever. I've always loved animation as an art form, and I'll always prefer hand-drawn cel animation to CGI or other forms. This movie to me represents the absolute pinnacle of cel animation. The subject matter is ugly and brutal but the movements, the fluidity, the colors, the shapes are just breathtakingly gorgeous. I'll never get tired of re-watching this movie over and over and over. BUT....I understand it's absolutely not for everyone.

I'll be the first to admit that narratively, it has problems. So I don't really recommend it to people much anymore cause I know the reaction of most people is that the story is too confusing or even "slow and boring" and that it's too violent and that the end sequences are too gross. But I'd still urge people to at least watch the first ten minutes or so, and just appreciate the insane level of detail packed into each and every frame, especially during the sequence that reveals the cityscape and shows the motorcycle gangs fighting. I guarantee you'll see something new every time you watch it. I've seen it countless times and I'm still seeing new things.

About the manga:   AKIRA is simply the most impressive hard sci-fi comic book ever drawn. The sheer scope and scale of the action is unbelievable. The detail in his linework is unparalleled by any artist in Japan or abroad. The action sequences that come one after the other throughout the book are incredibly paced and planned. If this book were to be filmed as a live action movie, it wouldn't be possible, not even with CGI. It's simply the biggest and most impressive action story I've ever seen.

And there's character too. And humor. And humanity. And philosophy. And unimaginable violence that shows just how horrible human nature can be when it's unleashed.

I have had it in print since it was first published in English....I've since added the complete Japanese sets, both in color and black and white.

I have the entire thing on my computer too, but it's just not as good as reading it on paper.

The 35th anniversary box set came out in 2017.....it's expensive but it's worth every penny.   This is a story that deserves to be experienced properly.   You need to see it on a page instead of a screen!

http://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set/dp/1632364611/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=akira+35th&qid=1579179869&sr=8-1

Damn it......it looks like it's out of print and already going for marked up prices.   It was about $200 or so when it first came out, but it was honestly worth it.....wonder if it's any cheaper on ebay....

Fuck that’s a sweet box!

The anime movie is visually incredible, the nigh cityscapes pack an insane amount of detail. Plus there is a certain warmth in the old cel animation. The first time I saw it I hadn’t read the manga yet, so I had to watch it a couple times to make sense of it beyond the wonderful visual attack, but even the first time I fell in love with it and opened me to the whole cyberpunk/dystopian future genres.

And holy shit... the soundtrack.

Speaking of the soundtrack.....

One of the special events I went to last year to celebrate the "year of AKIRA" was a screening of the movie that was preceded by a live performance of some of the songs from the soundtrack by the Geinoh Yamashirogumi.  

It was cool as shit. 

Not really an exaggeration to say that I would never be living in Japan if I hadn't seen that movie 30 years ago.

BFGoodrich-Mint-400-Buy-the-Ticket-Take-

Just picked up this Limited Edition print by Joey Feldman. Edition of 36, signed and numbered by Feldman. 

Released to marl this years Mint 400 race in Vegas and also honour Hunter S. Thompson who originally went to Vegas to cover the race for Sports Illustrated. That assignment of course became Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I also picked up an A/P version of this. 1 of 10  which Feldman did for last years race. 

IMG_5248_400x.jpeg?v=1571439037

New Eguchi album cover for some shitty Japanese band.  (Redundant.....all Japanese bands are shit.)

pgKbvMI.jpg

I'd buy it in a heartbeat though if it were on 7 inch or 12 inch....but as far as I know it's only being released as a CD.   No thanks.

Back cover of Sin City Big Fat Kill 4 is so goddamn good.

Too bad Frank and Lynn will never work together again.   Kinda like Axl and Slash, but this time it involves an ugly divorce.  So yeah....super duper not in this lifetime.

4h5EAPv.jpg

I just put this together in paint.   I had an earlier version, but this one is better.  I call it, "The Jim Lee Pose."

kaJswmj.jpg

Apparently yesterday was "Everyone Draw Sailor Moon" day on Japanese twitter.

This is what my homeboy Eguchi posted:

rva8Zht.jpg

Another Japanese artist I like known only as "Bob aka En-Chan" also posted their version of Sailor Moon:

r1lC2oh.jpg

But enough with that.....my man Frank Miller is still drawing Batman.....come on Frank, take a better picture so we can SEE it!!  It's so small but it looks bad ass!

VQc1KdM.jpg

Scored the original issues of Rolling Stone from November 1971 with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Parts 1 & 2 tonight on ebay for 60euro. It was to raise money for charity and nobody bid.  They are in great condition and worth at least $450 

I also got the issue with his first article for 8 euro. It's worth at least $250  

Absolute fucking steal :lol: 

Toriyama is dope.   I never watched or read all of Dragonball cause it's just so massive, but I've always loved the character design.

I actually first saw his stuff in a short lived anime based off the video game "Dragon Quest" that he did the art for.  Back in 1990 or so, they translated the first 13 episodes into English and aired them on American TV under the title "Dragon Warrior" for some reason.

Back then, anime was super rare and hard to find, whether it was on tape or on TV.   So one morning when I saw this, I just flipped out at how cool it was.

hqdefault.jpg

Unfortunately, it was on at like 5:30 in the morning and I could never get up to see it.  And then it was off the air, and gone forever until finally resurfacing on the internet 20 years later.   I love the internet.

Today I got a set of posters that were drawn by Eguchi, who I've posted about many times in this thread.   The posters are awesome, and it put me back in an Eguchi appreciation mode, so here's some more awesome drawings by the Japanese king of pop art:

SUPNuuj.jpg

T7X0iuP.jpg

TzY01TH.jpg

XZ00ZNJ.jpg

htPDUpe.jpg

iJQc1Eb.jpg

BgjEWwz.jpg

TERxj9l.jpg

IQracw3.jpg

12 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Toriyama is dope.   I never watched or read all of Dragonball cause it's just so massive, but I've always loved the character design.

dewit

if you need anything (HQ manga scanlations, etc) let me know

the mainline series is ~500 chapters long but it's an absolute blast the whole way through.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I gotta say, I loved my binge re-read of Alpha Flight.

What a trip.

Not only does the team break up in the first issue, but every member lives in a different province of Canada.

The story moves from BC to Alberta, from Ontario to Quebec (and to New York City).

From Frank's instagram:

FHGkcFx.jpg

I fucking hate seeing a guy I respect jumping on the BLM bandwagon for head pats like a good little ally....but at least that's Martha Washington, a longtime established character he created.

Funny, a few years ago everyone hated Frank cause he was a "racist, bigot, homophobic, misogynist, etc etc."   I guess he got tired of being called names and just said fuck it and bent the knee.

25 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

FB_IMG_1592997584583.jpg

Joan Cornella

Cornella is awesome, probably one of our greatest artists of this century so far. ZERO fucks given about taboos

On 5/16/2020 at 5:44 PM, EstrangedTWAT said:

I just put this together in paint.   I had an earlier version, but this one is better.  I call it, "The Jim Lee Pose."

kaJswmj.jpg

Here's Rob Liefeld blatantly tracing Jim Lee's pose:

wD3QiLP.jpg

And just for fun, here's one of Rob's most notorious swipes ever....stealing the two=page spread from Frank Miller's Ronin for New Mutants/X-Force.

ronin-1983-by-frank-miller-l.jpg