Sign in to follow this  
arnold layne

Your favorite artists and artwork

About the AKIRA anime:  almost exactly 30 years later, it's still just as stunning and breathtaking as ever. I've always loved animation as an art form, and I'll always prefer hand-drawn cel animation to CGI or other forms. This movie to me represents the absolute pinnacle of cel animation. The subject matter is ugly and brutal but the movements, the fluidity, the colors, the shapes are just breathtakingly gorgeous. I'll never get tired of re-watching this movie over and over and over. BUT....I understand it's absolutely not for everyone.

I'll be the first to admit that narratively, it has problems. So I don't really recommend it to people much anymore cause I know the reaction of most people is that the story is too confusing or even "slow and boring" and that it's too violent and that the end sequences are too gross. But I'd still urge people to at least watch the first ten minutes or so, and just appreciate the insane level of detail packed into each and every frame, especially during the sequence that reveals the cityscape and shows the motorcycle gangs fighting. I guarantee you'll see something new every time you watch it. I've seen it countless times and I'm still seeing new things.

About the manga:   AKIRA is simply the most impressive hard sci-fi comic book ever drawn. The sheer scope and scale of the action is unbelievable. The detail in his linework is unparalleled by any artist in Japan or abroad. The action sequences that come one after the other throughout the book are incredibly paced and planned. If this book were to be filmed as a live action movie, it wouldn't be possible, not even with CGI. It's simply the biggest and most impressive action story I've ever seen.

And there's character too. And humor. And humanity. And philosophy. And unimaginable violence that shows just how horrible human nature can be when it's unleashed.

I have had it in print since it was first published in English....I've since added the complete Japanese sets, both in color and black and white.

I have the entire thing on my computer too, but it's just not as good as reading it on paper.

The 35th anniversary box set came out in 2017.....it's expensive but it's worth every penny.   This is a story that deserves to be experienced properly.   You need to see it on a page instead of a screen!

http://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set/dp/1632364611/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=akira+35th&qid=1579179869&sr=8-1

Damn it......it looks like it's out of print and already going for marked up prices.   It was about $200 or so when it first came out, but it was honestly worth it.....wonder if it's any cheaper on ebay....

43 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

About the AKIRA anime:  almost exactly 30 years later, it's still just as stunning and breathtaking as ever. I've always loved animation as an art form, and I'll always prefer hand-drawn cel animation to CGI or other forms. This movie to me represents the absolute pinnacle of cel animation. The subject matter is ugly and brutal but the movements, the fluidity, the colors, the shapes are just breathtakingly gorgeous. I'll never get tired of re-watching this movie over and over and over. BUT....I understand it's absolutely not for everyone.

I'll be the first to admit that narratively, it has problems. So I don't really recommend it to people much anymore cause I know the reaction of most people is that the story is too confusing or even "slow and boring" and that it's too violent and that the end sequences are too gross. But I'd still urge people to at least watch the first ten minutes or so, and just appreciate the insane level of detail packed into each and every frame, especially during the sequence that reveals the cityscape and shows the motorcycle gangs fighting. I guarantee you'll see something new every time you watch it. I've seen it countless times and I'm still seeing new things.

About the manga:   AKIRA is simply the most impressive hard sci-fi comic book ever drawn. The sheer scope and scale of the action is unbelievable. The detail in his linework is unparalleled by any artist in Japan or abroad. The action sequences that come one after the other throughout the book are incredibly paced and planned. If this book were to be filmed as a live action movie, it wouldn't be possible, not even with CGI. It's simply the biggest and most impressive action story I've ever seen.

And there's character too. And humor. And humanity. And philosophy. And unimaginable violence that shows just how horrible human nature can be when it's unleashed.

I have had it in print since it was first published in English....I've since added the complete Japanese sets, both in color and black and white.

I have the entire thing on my computer too, but it's just not as good as reading it on paper.

The 35th anniversary box set came out in 2017.....it's expensive but it's worth every penny.   This is a story that deserves to be experienced properly.   You need to see it on a page instead of a screen!

http://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set/dp/1632364611/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=akira+35th&qid=1579179869&sr=8-1

Damn it......it looks like it's out of print and already going for marked up prices.   It was about $200 or so when it first came out, but it was honestly worth it.....wonder if it's any cheaper on ebay....

Fuck that’s a sweet box!

The anime movie is visually incredible, the nigh cityscapes pack an insane amount of detail. Plus there is a certain warmth in the old cel animation. The first time I saw it I hadn’t read the manga yet, so I had to watch it a couple times to make sense of it beyond the wonderful visual attack, but even the first time I fell in love with it and opened me to the whole cyberpunk/dystopian future genres.

And holy shit... the soundtrack.

Speaking of the soundtrack.....

One of the special events I went to last year to celebrate the "year of AKIRA" was a screening of the movie that was preceded by a live performance of some of the songs from the soundtrack by the Geinoh Yamashirogumi.  

It was cool as shit. 

Not really an exaggeration to say that I would never be living in Japan if I hadn't seen that movie 30 years ago.