Steven and his mom reddit AMA

Here is Steven and his mom's AMA from reddit Link

Not really interesting, imho. They are mostly talking about that drugs and alcohol are bad. Only GNR related thing was when someone asked Steven when was the "holy shit we are big moment" happened: He answered  

Hi Steven! Thanks for doing this AMA!

Which was the first "hooooooly shit we're huge" moment while on GNR?

Steven: When we played the street scene in 1986, downtown LA. There were 100,000 people in the streets, outside, and we started playing. Literally not 10s, or 100s, thousands of people were spitting on the stage at us. I was in the back, so I wasn't getting hit. The coolest thing was, nobody in the band got pissed off , they started spitting back at them. It was one of those moments like "holy shit! What am I doing here? How did I get here? and Why is this so awesome!"

Deanna: I'm so glad I wasn't there.

Steven: That and playing with The Rolling Stones at the coliseum was pretty fucking cool!

I Steve, big fan here, missed you in the Chile show a couple of months ago. Do you think that your stroke, affected in someway your actual drums play? Also, I think your the most resilient rock star ever, you're an example to a lot of people

Steven: Hi u/f3lip3, thank you very much. And no, I had a mild stroke when I was shooting cocaine. The only thing that it affected was my speech. I basically had to go back to Kindergarten and learn how to speak again. Dr. Drew, when I did that celebrity rehab, he had a special speech therapist come in and actually teach me how to speak again. I mean I can barely speak fucking English, as it is, but it's much better than it was in 1994.

Deanna: When I found out he was in the hospital because nobody would tell me when he would have an overdose. Nobody would tell me because they didn't want me to know because he has numerous times he's had an overdose, but I never knew. Well, this time, I found out because the nurse from the Century City Hospital calls me up on the phone and says, "Your son needs dialysis". I said, "What do you mean?". And she says, "Well, he came in yesterday from a drug overdose". I said, "So, give him dialysis. What's the big thing?". Well, I had to sign a paper for him to have it. So, she faxed me over a paper. I signed the paper. He had dialysis. So, then I went to the hospital to see him. I walk into this room and he is attached to so many tubes. And I said, "Oh my god, I've never seen anything like this before". So, I sat down next to him. I says, "Steven", cause I heard that people in a coma they can hear you, so I sat down next to him and said, "Steven, Steven, please wake up. Everything's going to be alright". And then what happened was, he opened one eye and a single tear came out of that one eye. A single tear. And then he closed his eye again. And then, of course, I burst out crying. I mean, it was so horrible. I told the doctors. When I was at the hospital, that day, his lawyer came over. Former lawyer, came over to see him.

Steven: His name was Satan.

Deanna: His name was Satan.

Steven: Louis Cypher, I recall. Louis Cypher. Lu-ci-fer. Louis Cypher. Yea.

Deanna: I said thank you for coming over, but he's in a coma. He said, "I just wanted to check up on him". I said, "Fine". A few weeks later, I got a bill. He charged us for going to the hospital to look at Steven when he was in a coma.

Steven: For 30 seconds.

Deanna: 30 seconds!

Steven: He just looked in at the door and went, "Okay".

Deanna: That's how people take advantage of people that are drug addicts and alcohol abusers. They take advantage of you and it's not right. So, I called up the lawyer. I says, "What it this? I see you're charging him for him for you coming to visit him in the hospital. Are you nuts?". I said, "You better take that off the bill". And he took it off the bill. But, can you imagine going to the hospital to check on a client, just to say hello and see how you're doing and he charges for that? That was sick.

Somebody asked a question about the current tour

Hey Steven! I have a few, hopefully simple, quick questions.

Why do they call you Steven 'Popcorn' Adler? Is it cause you're energetic, and bounce up and down when you're beating on the drums?

And

Will you be joining GNR for a larger portion of the NITL Tour? Rather than a few appearances here and there?

Those are my two questions that I had to ask. Ps you fucking rock dude much love 

Steven: I think that's what Axl was thinking. We played that show at the Ritz that was live on MTV one night and he introduced me as Steven Popcorn Adler. That one and only time. He would always introduce me as Steven California Indica Bud Adler. I'm a big pot smoker. So, that one night that it happened to be live on TV, out of nowhere he just called me popcorn and it just stuck. I think it was like when I play my hair bounces up and down. Like popcorn popping in a machine. I don't know. He's insane. I don't know why the hell he did it. It just happened. He just called me that.

Deanna: I never like that, by the way. I never liked that.

Steven: I had a great time last year doing the couple shows that I got to do with them, but it was everything that I thought it was going to be. It was the complete opposite. If it was going be just the five original guys with Dizzy and Axl, Slash, and Duff and myself, then yes I will, but otherwise, it's not the magic and it's not fair to the fans. Me and Dizzy actually really do wanna be a part of it.

About which songs he want to play other than AFD/Lies songs

Hi Steven, If you had the choice to play any Guns tune other than Appetite/Lies material, which one would you choose?

Steven: Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry, You Can Be Mine, Coma, Civil War.

He is also so out of touch with current music, lol

Hey Steven and Deanna! Thanks for doing this AMA. Question: is rock & roll dead once your generation is gone? If not, who is going to keep it going?

Steven: All I know is that the gods of rock are pissed! I think I am afraid Rock and Roll might be dead. There are just no great bands out there. The last great band that I know of was the Foo Fighters, and that was 25 years ago.

Deanna: I don't believe it will ever die. When he was playing in the 80s, we would go on sunset blvd and see all these guys with the black leather jackets

Steven: But that was the 80s, this is 2017. Music is completely different now. It sucks!

Deanna: a few weeks ago we were going down sunset blvd. There are so many young people. I don't think it will ever die. What goes around comes around, it's always gonna be there. I still listen to oldies but goodies. Good music comes back.

Hey Steven! Love ya, man! What's your favorite GnR song to play?

Steven: Every single one of them. I still play the ones that I recorded the demo tapes I helped write on "Use Your Illusion". At least 12, 13 of those. I'll still practice to those because I love them so much, but obviously, I play em my way, which is the right way.

Deanna: Steven is the greatest drummer in the world. He is my king. He is the best.

Steven: I'm the biggest asshole you're ever gonna fuckin meet.

[laughter]

Deanna: No son, don't say that.

There are some more answers, but i think he made up a LOT of stories (like when he talked about missing 10 shows, because a girl jumped on him and he hurt his back etc.) 

Did you fall in love with any groupies?

Steven: Everyone of them. For the 3 minutes I was with them. Yes. If you got 4 out of me, god bless you. You lucked out that day.

Deanna: One time he told me that he had sex with over 2,000 women.

Steven: I was on drugs.

Deanna: I says, "What kind of talk is that? I'm your mother. Stop it".

Steven: I remember telling my grandfather, my grandparents. I brought a gold record to each my grandma and grandpa one day and I said, "Here grandma and grandpa. Look. I'm famous now". And my grandpa says," Yeah, that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee". And he's right.

Holy fuck, Steven, you're the reason I ever started playing drums. Which got me to playing other instruments, which got me to be the shitty musician I am today. I love your work man.

What do you think is the coolest drum beat you've come up with to a song?

Steven: Dude, I'm sure you kickass if you've been playing that long. Keep practicing. Repetition makes the master, as I say many times, which is true. What's my favorite drum beat I came up with? There's "Rocket Queen, there's "Welcome to the Jungle", there's "Mr. Brownstone".

Deanna: "Paradise City" I like.

Steven: "Paradise City" is a great one. Every song I recorded with them I love. It was my favorite.

Deanna: And because he loves them I love them all too.

He might be playing with  an another band

Do you have any future plans in music?

Steven: Right now, I'm just practicing, having fun, and enjoying my life. I have my beautiful wife, my beautiful dogs and I just enjoy being at home and being with them. I have like 6 really good friends and I enjoy hanging out with them. So, if something does come up that I'm really interested in. There is one band that might be looking for a drummer. I'm not gonna mention their name because I have a habit of saying things and then it jinxes it, but if it does come up, it happens. If it doesn't, then so be it. That's totally cool, too.

He likes Freddie Mercury

Hi Steven, thank you for doing this! Was there a drummer who inspired you to play while growing up? Did you ever try to emulate that person?

Steven: Piano because Freddie Mercury is God! If I could do anything, I would do anything close to being Freddie Mercury. Even if I had to be gay. In fact, I wish I was gay but I just don't have it in me!

Edited by Budd Dwyer
6 hours ago, D-GenerationX said:

Jesus Christ.  Just cut all fucking ties with this guy already, will you please?  What a god damn ingrate.

Looks like its back to blowing dudes in Euro bathrooms for smack money.  Have a nice life, non-essential personnel.

Why?

It seems most of the fans (even CD  and moronic Axl fans) like him

If Axl was willing to let him play a few songs, then what is YOUR problem, dude? 

The hatred in your post makes very little sense

That being said, i just hope the "new band" part not meant to be Art of Anarchy. Playing in shitbars was cuck enough. No need to play with hired-hired hands side projects

Edited by Budd Dwyer
On 1/27/2017 at 8:45 PM, Budd Dwyer said:

Why?

If Axl was willing to let him play a few songs, then what is YOUR problem, dude? 

That being said, i just hope the "new band" part not meant to be Art of Anarchy. Playing in shitbars was cuck enough. No need to play with hired-hired hands side projects

He's probably doing it to be edgy, that's sort of his shtick gimmick (and to kiss Axl's ass in case he's reading this, lololol).  

No but seriously, Adler's an easy target, and he's literally missing brain cells, and he's done dumb shit.  This reddit AMA, along with the answers, along with his mom being there, were all ill-advised.  But his life energy, as corny as that sounds, cannot be denied.  The guy is a fucking survivor.  And really, he's like the quintessential prototype crazy drummer.  I mean, say what you will about Steven, but he is very Spinal Tap.    

Notice the two people who speak their minds (Izzy and Steven) are not on the tour.  I'm glad Slash and Duff are there, but they are indistinguishable from the replacements as far as their impact on the band.  Like I said, it's great Sluff is back.  But they're simply joining Axl on the cash grab tour.  Neither has the balls to tell Axl to his face that he needs to alter his singing style (or use a vocal processor of some sort) and that he sounds ridiculous.  Neither has brought any significant new songs (to the setlist I mean).  They're playing the same show they have since 2001.  Except with Sluff, which yes, is a better value.  But that's about it.  

47 minutes ago, altered beast said:

He's probably doing it to be edgy, that's sort of his shtick gimmick (and to kiss Axl's ass in case he's reading this, lololol).  

No but seriously, Adler's an easy target, and he's literally missing brain cells, and he's done dumb shit.  This reddit AMA, along with the answers, along with his mom being there, were all ill-advised.  But his life energy, as corny as that sounds, cannot be denied.  The guy is a fucking survivor.  And really, he's like the quintessential prototype crazy drummer.  I mean, say what you will about Steven, but he is very Spinal Tap.    

Notice the two people who speak their minds (Izzy and Steven) are not on the tour.  I'm glad Slash and Duff are there, but they are indistinguishable from the replacements as far as their impact on the band.  Like I said, it's great Sluff is back.  But they're simply joining Axl on the cash grab tour.  Neither has the balls to tell Axl to his face that he needs to alter his singing style (or use a vocal processor of some sort) and that he sounds ridiculous.  Neither has brought any significant new songs (to the setlist I mean).  They're playing the same show they have since 2001.  Except with Sluff, which yes, is a better value.  But that's about it.  

agreed, but at least they did convince Axl to do Coma.

I was seriously skeptical about Adler can pull it off without getting an OD on sight, but he delivered. He really should play all the AFD/Lies songs plus some UYI material written by the 80's with him. That's why D-generation's posts was so random. I saw this hatred the last time, when Steven called Axl's yes men "hired hands". He was right. He is right again

But hey, enjoy (or laugh) at what we have-_-

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Budd Dwyer said:

Why?

I find the Adler love totally overdone.

I completely reject that only the "AFD 5" (what is this, the old west?) is the only "true" GNR.  Never heard word one along those lines during the UYI days, which I lived through.  NO ONE lamenting the allegedly crushing loss of Steven Adler.

But people got pissed at Axl over the years for all his replacment band nonsense, which was legit.  But then people went SO far the other way.  Suddenly, the only "real" GNR, the only "true" 100 proof GNR was the 1988-89.  Or this gem : "GNR broke up on 4/7/90 (Farm Aid IV)".  Please.  Give me a fucking break. 

I also don't see this supposed once in a generation type talent, which is how he's portrayed.  If he's so balls out awesome, why has he done NOTHING of note in 30 plus years?  Because he's a guy.  He's just a guy.  A guy in the right place, at the right time.  His playing on AFD is alright.  I at no time thought it was John Bohnam or Keith Moon re-incarnated.  And neither did anyone else...until about 10 years ago.  It's retroactive memory bullshit.

And finally, the guy is a piece of shit as a person.  Yes, so is Axl.  So if that one is in the chamber already, save it.  I agree.  But they owed Steven NOTHING.  Even what he got this tour should have been a good thing from his perspective.  But, right on cue, he can't control himself and starts bitching.

Get lost, dude.

Wow.  Just wow. 

The original 5 had a sound.  An unmistakable sound.  You're a fucking tonedeaf nincompoop if you can't understand or comprehend what's special about that lineup.  I mean, really?  Really?  

Also, you made up a number of things that simply aren't true.  I will tell you right fucking now, I hated Sorum from the beginning, when I was a kid.  I noticed right away the drumming in GNR had lost all its flair, all its snap crackle pop, all its lifeforce.  In its place on the UYI albums was this castrated, muted garbage, and clearly an employee relegated to timekeeper.  So yeah, people might not have complained, but I'm not lying to you here- I fucking missed Adler somethin fierce when he was gone.  Sorum killed the band's energy, particularly on the older songs.  I wasn't the only one who noticed at the time.  I'm glad you thought the UYI lineup was the same, but for GnR purists, it's not.  It's just fucking not.  It's the first incarnation of what we now have.  

Adler's an easy target.  So I'm not saying your points are all invalid.  But for you to even try to compare the UYI lineup to the AFD lineup is laughable.  You're laughable for even attempting it.  What a fucking joke.  I'm not saying there aren't good UYI shows.  But Matt simply can't hang with Steven in terms of rock n' roll drumming.  Matt's boring.  Maybe you like boring.  Maybe you want to call it "more technical."

But I will tell you one thing.  NOT ONE PERSON ever said Adler was some fantastic drummer akin to Bonham or Peart.  But I'll tell you something, his drumming on AFD is fucking awesome, and it may be easy, it may be whatever.  But he was the perfect drummer for GnR.  He may be a loose cannon, but I like the fact he won't be a cuck to Axl, unlike Slash and Duff.  Speaking of someone else who is "just a guy."  Duff thinks he's a "writer" because he's achieved a 12th grade reading level.  He really is impressed with himself.  

The UYI lineup was watered-down GnR, plain and simple.  The real thing has, and always will be: The AFD lineup.  Anything else is just nuGNR + version number.  

7 hours ago, D-GenerationX said:

I find the Adler love totally overdone.

I completely reject that only the "AFD 5" (what is this, the old west?) is the only "true" GNR.  Never heard word one along those lines during the UYI days, which I lived through.  NO ONE lamenting the allegedly crushing loss of Steven Adler.

But people got pissed at Axl over the years for all his replacment band nonsense, which was legit.  But then people went SO far the other way.  Suddenly, the only "real" GNR, the only "true" 100 proof GNR was the 1988-89.  Or this gem : "GNR broke up on 4/7/90 (Farm Aid IV)".  Please.  Give me a fucking break. 

I also don't see this supposed once in a generation type talent, which is how he's portrayed.  If he's so balls out awesome, why has he done NOTHING of note in 30 plus years?  Because he's a guy.  He's just a guy.  A guy in the right place, at the right time.  His playing on AFD is alright.  I at no time thought it was John Bohnam or Keith Moon re-incarnated.  And neither did anyone else...until about 10 years ago.  It's retroactive memory bullshit.

And finally, the guy is a piece of shit as a person.  Yes, so is Axl.  So if that one is in the chamber already, save it.  I agree.  But they owed Steven NOTHING.  Even what he got this tour should have been a good thing from his perspective.  But, right on cue, he can't control himself and starts bitching.

Get lost, dude.

First of all, this is not "love" just some kind of "respect" towards the best incarnation of this band (y'know the band which wrote songs that still feeds their bank accounts)

If you hate the AFD 5 band, then that's fine. It makes you a laughing stock, but fine.  I have a feeling that you'll praise the AFD 5 if Axl would decide to do the nostalgia cash grab properly and invite Steven and Izzy and not fucking around with his solo songs and his solo band, though

I also lived through the UYI days, they were a functioning band back then. Y'know new albums, unexpected setlists etc.  Seems you forgot those. it's obvious that people care about the AFD 5 and miss Steven and Izzy, because this is a nostalgia tour. A new touring incarnation, until they release something. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you really understand that GNR was a hard rock band, then you could understand why people refer the Farm Aid as a broke up. The band's spirit or whatever, died that day. Even the UYI tour became bloated and they slowly became a caricature of their own selves! 

The rest of your post is legit, but i don't see where i stated the contrary, so.. I never liked Adler as a solo artist. He is a washed up glam rocker, but he still drums good. Even after half of his brain was damaged

Steven's biggest and only great contribution came from AFD. The rest of his career is forgettable, not to mention his bad personal decisions, addiction etc. 

Before the current tour, i thought he is done, he will relapse after 2 shows. He proved me (and several others) wrong, kudos for him

I don't think anybody have him in such high regards as a drummer. In fact, several people here and over various places called him the most replaceable member of the band. Still, he got his own sound, unlike Matt Sorum or Frank Ferrer for example. he has every right to open his mouth, it seems he is not gagged like Slash or Duff, whom cucked themselves for money. 

Plus he has every right to play MORE than 2 fucking songs, if they already invited him... If you really think he shouldn't be there, then you are probably also think Chinese Democracy is their best album and some insane shit like  that :lol: and i'm the one who should get lost? Boy, you are really take things too seriously. This is an 80's rock band, not the progressive musical entity you want them to be....

They are all piece of shits as human beings. Some of them are also have nice things in them. It's not a big deal. Hey, if you still think that I  think GNR or Axl or any of these fat washed up rockstars owe me, then you are wrong. :lol:  My life doesn't revolve around this band.  i'm a grown man, not a teenage fanboy. i was just curious why are you hate him so much. I think i know the answer know. 

Carry on

Edited by Budd Dwyer

If i remember correctly, you also blamed the shitband for not letting Adler to play a few more songs. Plus you are one of the louder Izzy purists around here. Izzy is a great songwriter, but from a "who is better/important" standpoint, he is absolutely replaceable for the current tour. What you wrote about Adler is valid of Izzy too! Very average live guitarist, (his guitar was unplugged even in 1991) zero relevant releases in 25 years, he doesn't even play live shows, lol...

Still, you want him to play with them. I also want him to play with them.

I can't wrap my head around the hate and inconsistency you have sometimes

This is not about the "haaateeer" thing, but you also have a tendency to being a dick when it comes to the original band

As you can see, we all pointed out what you pointed out, so that was a poor effort to defend Axl nutter Degenerate X

Of fucking course we are "whining" when a loser CD fan try to justify the totally unnecesary hate towards one of the classic members

Edited by Budd Dwyer