AxlisOld

The General Chat/Random Discussion Thread

Think I got skin cancer on my left middle toe knuckle. Not melanoma. One of the other two. Probably not, but I'm worried to the point I can't sleep anyways :(

guess it wouldn't be that big if a deal if it was, just don't wanna be inconvenienced right now. No time for this shit

Black people are at higher risk for hypertension and heart disease, should their health insurance be higher because they're black?

7 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Yeah shit ain't fair. 

I feel like I work for my car. It's paid off, but I still pay $220 a month on insurance, another $40 for gas a month, oil changes, tire rotations. Shit adds up fast. 

Yeah it does add up fast. Holy shit that's a ton of money for car insurance.  I pay $70 a month for two cars, both with collision and comprehensive, in a state that has high insurance premiums.

4 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Black people are at higher risk for hypertension and heart disease, should their health insurance be higher because they're black?

Nope, because it's beyond their control.  Like I said it's the people who intentionally abuse their body that should pay more.  If someone is grossly overweight, had trips to the ER because of illegal drug overdoses, etc then yeah they should pay more.

Many companies financially reward employees for meeting healthy living criteria (joining gyms, having regular physicals, attesting to not smoking etc) which also is a great incentive that leads to lower healthcare costs for all employees.  

Does it really matter that it's beyond their control though? Insurance companies aren't charities. They exist to make money. If insuring one type of person inherently runs higher risk than insuring another type of person, why wouldn't/shouldn't an insurance company charge the riskier person more?

My health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts) rewards me for being healthy.

I get a $300 pre-paid VISA card every year for getting a clean physical, and I get almost half of my annual gym membership returned to me from Blue Cross in the form of a check.

1 hour ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Yeah it does add up fast. Holy shit that's a ton of money for car insurance.  I pay $70 a month for two cars, both with collision and comprehensive, in a state that has high insurance premiums.

$70 a month for two cars? What in the fuck!

I am a shit driver though. Nobody to blame but myself. Two wrecks and a couple of speeding tickets. 

A 13 year old weasel walks into a bar and approaches the counter. The bartender immediately notices the underage weasel.

"Sir, you look extremely young. I can't serve you even a single beer."

"Oh c'mon. You can't just slide me one?"

"Can't and will not serve to anyone under age."

"Fine. Well what other things do you have?"

"Well for non-alcoholics I have tap water and bottled water, I have coffee, and I have pop. Which would you like?"

"Pop." Goes the weasel.

2 hours ago, magisme said:

Does it really matter that it's beyond their control though? Insurance companies aren't charities. They exist to make money. If insuring one type of person inherently runs higher risk than insuring another type of person, why wouldn't/shouldn't an insurance company charge the riskier person more?

It's a matter of ethics.  That's why we have EMTALA, hospitals are required to treat all medical emergencies even if the patient is penniless and has no insurance.  It's bad enough when you're born with a rare and potentially fatal condition, but to also be charged more for healthcare insurance because of that condition is a slap in the face and often forces you to go without coverage.  Then you're getting into highly unethical territory by putting a price on someone's life.  If they can afford to pay, they live.  If not, they die.

2 hours ago, John Bonham said:

My health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts) rewards me for being healthy.

I get a $300 pre-paid VISA card every year for getting a clean physical, and I get almost half of my annual gym membership returned to me from Blue Cross in the form of a check.

Exactly!  Same deal with me, I get my Planet Fitness membership completely reimbursed (it's only $125 annually) and I get healthcare credits in my paycheck.

It's a win-win-win situation.  The employee stays healthy and gets money back, the employer pays less out of pocket, and the insurance company has less claims to deal with.  I've worked for an employer that took it a step further, they wouldn't allow their employees to smoke anywhere anytime ... even outside of work. 

Just now, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

It's a matter of ethics.  That's why we have EMTALA, hospitals are required to treat all medical emergencies even if the patient is penniless and has no insurance.  It's bad enough when you're born with a rare and potentially fatal condition, but to also be charged more for healthcare insurance because of that condition is a slap in the face and often forces you to go without coverage.  Then you're getting into highly unethical territory by putting a price on someone's life.  If they can afford to pay, they live.  If not, they die.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but let's not pretend that we don't put prices on people's lives every day within the health care industry, and let's not pretend that the insurance industry is or should be primarily about the ethics. They are a business built on risk/reward analyses, but certain risk/reward scenarios are allowed while others are not, and when the difference depends on an ethics that has nothing to do with business, you open the door for all sorts of favoritism and political shenanigans, hence the current state of most insurance industries and the skyrocketing premiums for your average person. If they can't charge a certain riskier group more when that group is in fact riskier, you can bet the farm that they won't eat those losses, they'll transfer those charges to other customers and everyone loses. See Obamacare.

2 hours ago, arnold layne said:

$70 a month for two cars? What in the fuck!

I am a shit driver though. Nobody to blame but myself. Two wrecks and a couple of speeding tickets. 

Yeah that'll raise premiums for certain.  I've got a cleaning driving record, and insuring a second car isn't much extra when they are driven by the same person.  Can't drive two cars simultaneously, so there's no increase in risk of accident.

But that's the way insurance rates should be determined, by your own driving history ... not the driving history of similar demographics. 

Being charged more based strictly on gender, age and marital status is highly discriminatory - not sure why more people don't complain about that. 

50 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Can you drug test tobacco?

I suppose maybe a mouth swab. 

They didn't test for it, they just asked everyone to sign a statement attesting they don't smoke.  The only way anything could happen is if an employee was seen smoking.  I don't even think their breath mattered, because they could just say they kissed a smoker. :D

4 hours ago, magisme said:

Why do rich white guy's like you always want to keep the black man down?

Do you think they should be alllwed to vote?

On 6/23/2017 at 6:22 PM, jackie moon said:

19441104_10101126541230089_429665366_n.j

Cool! Now you just need to sign the sex offender's register and you're all set!

45 minutes ago, Facekicker said:

The fuck is that ...thing

There're no hands in the picture because straitjacket.

Note the white walls and wipe-clean floor. ;)

1 hour ago, jackie moon said:

ya'll jealous

We are going to have to sign you up for one of Bill Cosby's "dealing with rape accusations" town hall meetings if you insist on wearing that thing in public. 

I actually wanted a fanny pack for riding my bike - hold my keys and phone. Which I think is objectionably defensible. But the reaction has been so negative I am absolutely going to wear this motherfucker in every day life. Fuck all ya'll.

Anyone remember Smash Mouth?

They were in town tonight so we said, 'Fuck it. Let's go!' We saw a few Shrek heads. Tickets were only thirty bucks. The main guy was half phoning it in, drinking a Red Solo Cup on stage while singing, brought chicks from the crowd to dance, he was fat and shit, but it was a great show all the same. 

The crowd pretty much sang All Star for him. They probably hate that song.