AxlisOld

The General Chat/Random Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

I was just at karaoke with my friends.  I sang "Acquiesce"....one of my favorites cause Liam and Noel trade vocals.  Very cool.  But Noel's part is pretty high...kind of hard to hit the notes.

I’ve always wanted to dress up as Tony Clifton knocking over people’s drinks and being over the top annoying to this song

Just curious, why no interest in horse racing?

Kentucky Derby is truly the greatest 2 minutes in sports, and yesterday's was historic.

20 or so magnificent beasts all charging toward the finish line, sometimes in sloppy conditions with mud flying everywhere.

Tiny jockeys risking their lives.

Nothing like it, especially when you put down a winning bet.

SchmidtDerby11.jpg

15 minutes ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

I don't like sports at all anymore. The idea of worshiping a millionaire with a better life than me are over. This though is pretty much an event for rich folk that can pay to win. It's like when Ted Turner won the America's cup. Not for me.

I respect boxing though, those guys got something to lose.

Edited by meatpuppet

Just now, meatpuppet said:

I don't like sports at all anymore. The idea of worshiping a millionaire with a better life than me are over. This though is pretty much an event for rich folk that can pay to win. It's like when Ted Turner won the America's cup. Not for me.

>worshipping

I think you were doing sports wrong.

I can't spell anymore. My browser was supposed to tell me it wasn't spelt that way.  

2 minutes ago, magisme said:

>worshipping

I think you were doing sports wrong.

I probably am. I used to watch college/nba basketball religiously. I'll stay out of the sports threads.

2 minutes ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Yeah the horse owners are usually wealthy, no different than owners of major professional sports teams though.

The difference there is most people could play basketball. Most people don't have horses or a sailboat. No entry.

I didn't mean to derail your thread. I tend to be a critical person, more than necessary. I'll stay off topic. It's obvious people enjoy it. I used to watch it with family like it was a golf event.

1 hour ago, meatpuppet said:

The difference there is most people could play basketball. Most people don't have horses or a sailboat. No entry.

I didn't mean to derail your thread. I tend to be a critical person, more than necessary. I'll stay off topic. It's obvious people enjoy it. I used to watch it with family like it was a golf event.

No worries, it's a general chat thread and I was just trying to get a feel for why there's been a decline in interest for horse racing.  I appreciate all replies.

Unlike all other sports, I think it's the one sport that definitely would not survive without the gambling aspect of it.  For me anyways, it's appealing to turn a $1 wager into a $1,500 win by picking the first two horses of a race. Or winning $5,700 on a 50 cent bet by picking the first three horses.  Sure as hell is better odds than betting on sports teams or winning the lottery. :shrugs:

8 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

I like to gamble but I'm always afraid I'm going to watch a horse break it's leg. 

I'm sure that's some people's favorite part.  Like watching NASCAR waiting for a crash.

9 hours ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Kentucky Derby is truly the greatest 2 minutes in sports, and yesterday's was historic.

20 or so magnificent beasts all charging toward the finish line, sometimes in sloppy conditions with mud flying everywhere.

Tiny jockeys risking their lives.

Nothing like it, especially when you put down a winning bet.

SchmidtDerby11.jpg

It’s quite big in the UK. Casuals like the Grand National. I like idea of living in a motel and drinking at the horse track like that tv show Luck. 

Big tv sports seem to be more action oriented. You can’t just tune in for a race and really enjoy it. You need to get all the stats and history. It’s more all or nothing. NFL or soccer are more of a spectacle anyone can get something out of a crazy Messi goal. It’s hard to make a highlight of horses running or jumping. Show jumping is popular at the Olympics on tv. It’s more of a game. 

1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

Anybody watch Drunk History on Comedy Central? I quite enjoy it.

I’ve got a history of being drunk so I’ll check it out. 

“I don’t know what you are doing but whatever it is, do less of it, or do more of it, but you’ve got to give me more because we’re dying here” - Harvey Keitel to Madonna on the set of the movie in Dangerous Game, probably a misquote but you know do more is the theme. I’m trying here, you think this is easy? I’m outta here!

5 hours ago, arnold layne said:

I think I watched the entire first season, but it got old fast.  Mostly the unfunny hipster comedians they picked.  I only watch it now if it's gonna be about Cleveland.

What do they show on Comedy Central, stand up? Or shows? I find it hard to focus on tv. 

8 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Got a laugh out of the Lincoln assassination one with Stephen Merchant.

Went to an Escape Room yesterday. We managed to get out with 27 seconds left. It was so much fun

We chose the Cabin one which had a Cannibal Killer ready to kill us if we don't Escape in a n hour. I'm planning on doing more lol

Edited by GNR444

7 hours ago, GNR444 said:

Went to an Escape Room yesterday. We managed to get out with 27 seconds left. It was so much fun

We chose the Cabin one which had a Cannibal Killer ready to kill us if we don't Escape in a n hour. I'm planning on doing more lol

What is this? I wanna do it.

So I had to do one of those psychometric personality tests today with an actual clinical psychologist. :lol: 

I straight up told them not to get too excited by the result and if they wanted to save time I could just tell them outright about my general attitude. 

Holy fuck though the results were hilarious (and dead accurate)

Your score puts you at the 6th percentile for agreeableness. If you were one of 100 people in a room, you would be less agreeable than 93 of them and more agreeable than 6 of them.

AGREEABLENESS

6th percentile

You are less agreeable than 93 of 100 people

People with very low levels of agreeableness are seen by others as markedly competitive, colder, tougher and very much less empathic. They do not easily see the best in others, and are not particularly tolerant (an attitude that is much valued by agreeable people). They are very much less concerned about the emotional state of others, are uncommonly willing to engage in conflict, and will happily sacrifice peace and harmony to make a point or (if conscientious) to get things done. People may find them painfully straightforward and blunt. They tend very 

strongly towards dominance, rather than submission 

People with very low levels of agreeableness do not easily forgive. They are not accepting, flexible, gentle or patient. They don’t easily feel pity for those who are excluded, punished or defeated, and tend to attribute such problems to weakness. They are also very unlikely to be taken advantage of by disagreeable, manipulative or otherwise troublesome people, or those with criminal or predatory intent. Their high levels of skepticism play a protective role, although it may often interfere with their ability to cooperate with or trust others whose intentions are genuinely good. They are also less likely to reward good behavior or to give credit where it is due. They can cooperate, when cooperation is in their clear self-interest, but very much appreciate competition, with its well-defined losers and winners. They do not easily lose arguments (or avoid discussions) with anyone, and can forthrightly enjoy the battle. They can be very good at bargaining for themselves, and at negotiating for more recognition or power, and are likely to have higher salaries and to earn more money, in consequence. People very low in agreeableness are therefore less likely to suffer from resentment or to harbour invisible anger. They let you know what they think, when they think it. In addition, because of their tendency to engage in conflict, when necessary, people low in agreeableness people tend not to sacrifice medium- to long-term stability and function for the sake of short-term peace. This means that problems that should be solved in the present are often solved, and do not accumulate counterproductively across time, although people close to those very low in agreeableness may often experience them as overbearing and uncaring.

Politeness: Exceptionally Low

You are exceptionally low in politeness, which is one aspect of Agreeableness. Your score puts you at the 3rd percentile for politeness. If you were one of 100 people in a room, you would be less polite than 96 of them and more polite than 3 of them.

People who are exceptionally low in politeness challenge and confront authority – and they are not obedient. If they are respectful, it is grudgingly, and will only be manifested toward people who continually both deserve and demand it. They are comfortable confronting other people, and enjoy it. People extremely low in politeness are motivated to engage in conflict, and to seek out confrontation. They may have a strong tendency toward conduct-disordered, antisocial, delinquent, even criminal behavior, particularly if male and adolescent. They may find themselves very frequently in trouble with authority, in consequence. Their skepticism can make it extremely difficult for them to find a place in the middle or lower in hierarchies of power and dominance. They are hyper-dominant, rather than submissive

20 hours ago, magisme said:

What is this? I wanna do it.

You should, they are a lot of fun and I bet you would be great at them! Each Room has a theme. Then they put you in a room with other people. (2 Minimum) and you have to solve puzzles to find the key to open the door etc. (Reminds me of Resident Evil)

For Example: Our room had a Cannibal killer.In the first part, we were put in a jail cell with a key lock, a generator and a blanket. There was a UV Blacklight outside the cell and we had to use the blanket to get the Blacklight. Then we looked around with the light and checked the bars and realized that they had numbers on them. With those numbers we were able to figure out the Key lock code and get the Key. (The generator was of no use, it was just to distract you) Then we went to the second section, etc.

If you are interested try Groupon. They have the better ticket deals. We ended up paying 20 bucks a person (not bad in my opinion)

Edited by GNR444