Miser

Catcher in the Rye - opinions?

11 hours ago, ludurigan said:

exactly

and not only that

there were several other issues

1) it was clearly a "do-as-you-want-you-have-carte-blanche-but-wait-a-minute-don't-forget-thati-have-the-final-word-on-everything" situation. meaning it was not really a band situation, there was a boss in the room (or, more accurately, out of the room)

2) everyone was on salary, and axl was paying them. axl was the boss no matter how much he wants to hide it or play "it was a democracy" card. people are free to believe in that and also that the earth is flat and sugar coat the obvious not-democratic situation of the whole thing. so again, it was not a band situation

3) by all accounts, there was little to none interaction in the writing sessions between the boss and his employees, since there are lots of accounts that axl didn't even go to the studio when the employees were writing, jamming, rehearsing etc

4) the employees didn't have a say on anything. who joins the band, what songs will and will not be played live, etc etc

the list goes on

that nonsense would likely have worked much better if axl had the guts to admit that that was his solo career and that he was the boss.

or, if he really wanted to play the "this-is-a-band" game, if he actually had made all of those employees a band of equals to him

Solid fucking post

11 hours ago, ludurigan said:

would likely have worked much better if axl had the guts to admit that that was his solo career and that he was the boss.

Lol, Axl was the boss when your toy boy Izzy was in the band too.

Don't you ever get tired of these walls of horseshit of yours ? We, sure as shit, are sick of reading your petulant drivels everywhere :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Ragnar said:

Axl was the boss when your toy boy Izzy was in the band too.

Lol sure.

12 hours ago, auad said:

And?

Nothing. I accept that you like the band.

15 hours ago, GNS said:

NANA NA NAA NAAA NAA NAA NA NA NA OH NA NA NA

fuck off any body who doesnt sing  along to that part.

Absolutely.  Although My Axl impression has morphed into a Peter Griffin impersonating Axl impression

8 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

You bet your dumb ass he was. Fuck off you obsessed bitch.

Ok ok, if it makes you so happy. Axl was, is and always will be the boss. What a perfect human being. Please fuck my dumb ass Mr Rosê.

It's fascinating witnessing the behaviour of the  "post millennium Axl" fan. They actually seem pretty damaged. They're certainly incredibly sensitive individuals. 

On 3/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, ludurigan said:

exactly

and not only that

there were several other issues

1) it was clearly a "do-as-you-want-you-have-carte-blanche-but-wait-a-minute-don't-forget-thati-have-the-final-word-on-everything" situation. meaning it was not really a band situation, there was a boss in the room (or, more accurately, out of the room)

2) everyone was on salary, and axl was paying them. axl was the boss no matter how much he wants to hide it or play "it was a democracy" card. people are free to believe in that and also that the earth is flat and sugar coat the obvious not-democratic situation of the whole thing. so again, it was not a band situation

3) by all accounts, there was little to none interaction in the writing sessions between the boss and his employees, since there are lots of accounts that axl didn't even go to the studio when the employees were writing, jamming, rehearsing etc

4) the employees didn't have a say on anything. who joins the band, what songs will and will not be played live, etc etc

the list goes on

that nonsense would likely have worked much better if axl had the guts to admit that that was his solo career and that he was the boss.

or, if he really wanted to play the "this-is-a-band" game, if he actually had made all of those employees a band of equals to him

1) is why chinese democracy really sound organic. It's one guy in isolation listening to tapes which span literal years and lineups apart and piecing together songs from that. Even when he was present as you say, he was directing the band. Maybe they'd jam in his presence but he'd stop and pick out a part he liked, record it, manipulate it and add it to something that the Jam might have had nothing to do with. Look at Brian May's solo, apparently Brian never actually recorded the solo but it was spliced together from bits and pieces of different solos. If he did that to brian May imagine how of the record was done like that

also besides little interaction between boss and employees, who knows how much interaction there was between the employees? As I mentioned everyone in the band hated both Ron and Paul Tobias. Who knows how many sessions were just with one band member doing something, presenting it to the boss for approval, and then the boss liking it and making the others build a song around it (maybe even a song no one else but that member even liked).

Or things like hiring Brain only tin have him spend months literally recording Josh Freese's drums note for note with the instruction that he add his "feel" to that. How suffocating.

That's not a band or even a collaboration. Even solo record performers have more freedom.

Axl in the CD era kinda treated the band members less like session musicians and more like puppets acting out a show that Axl wrote, directed, and arranged all by himself. 

On 11/26/2016 at 2:54 AM, Budd Dwyer said:

pathetic

Outside of Axls vox I actually think this more ramshackle arrangement gives the song more. It actually sounds like a Guns N' Roses song. Slash's lines sound similar to his VR ballads 

Yeah, definitely.  The NITL take sounds more like the original demo.  I don't like to use the word "organic" but I think it fits.  The CD version sounded sterile and synthetic; when Slash and Duff played it, it sounded more natural and loose.

17 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Yeah, definitely.  The NITL take sounds more like the original demo.  I don't like to use the word "organic" but I think it fits.  The CD version sounded sterile and synthetic; when Slash and Duff played it, it sounded more natural and loose.

It literally sounds like something you'd hear on a theoretical UYI 3 they way they're playing it. The faster tempo, the actual drums (it sounds like a drum machine on the album), Slash's leads, Duff's bass...It actually sounds like a missing link of a GN'R song or something. The studio cut is terrible :(

I have to be the only one though who actually liked Pitman's little synth bridge in the demo version.

You're not.  Broski once called the "weener weener weener weener" section the most "spine chilling moment in GNR's history" or something like that.

2 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

You're not.  Broski once called the "weener weener weener weener" section the most "spine chilling moment in GNR's history" or something like that.

Wouldnt go that far....i just think its a cool late 90s sounding bit

If Evader is around and up for a project, how about attempting to put the isolated vocals from CD onto the NITL live version?  Probably impossible cause there's no way to get grandma Axl's wheezing vocals out.  But it'd be cool to hear.

Just now, EstrangedTWAT said:

If Evader is around and up for a project, how about attempting to put the isolated vocals from CD onto the NITL live version?  Probably impossible cause there's no way to get grandma Axl's wheezing vocals out.  But it'd be cool to hear.

Impossible is what evader does. Leave the let downs and predictableness to Axl.

Well, there's a soundboard Catcher from the LA Forum show.  If you could edit the audio even enough to get Axl way way low in the mix, and then lay the original isolated vocals over it, it would still sound cool, but would probably need to be adjusted cause of the timing and stuff.  I couldn't do it, but a skilled editor probably could do it fairly easily, as long as they weren't too bent on getting the live Axl vocals out completely.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:06 PM, John Bonham said:

Why did they remove the salami section on the finished version?

I wrote a strongly worded letter to Team Brazilian Wax asking that very same thing.

On 3/31/2019 at 4:17 AM, Miser said:

Outside of Axls vox I actually think this more ramshackle arrangement gives the song more. It actually sounds like a Guns N' Roses song. Slash's lines sound similar to his VR ballads 

Axl sounds pretty good here, especially on the last verse.  Slash makes the song better.