Miser

Catcher in the Rye - opinions?

8 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

I just relistened to this song for the first time in a while, and I think it's really, really good.

It's crazy how divided we are on CD though....some of you hate this song and some of you like it.  I happen to like it.

I think these are probably the best lyrics on CD cause they're kind of cryptic and enigmatic, but still have a point.  And I really like the outro.  I was surprised just now at how long the outro is....reminds me of Coma actually.

Go listen to this song right now.  No distractions...close all your tabs and stuff and just focus on the song.   It's really not bad, isn't it?

I agree with a lot of what you say here but the issue for me is the problem strips the song of all its beauty and organic feel. The demo sounds like it could've come out in the 60s or 70s, you know?

But no, you're right. The melodies, the lyrics, even the guitar work all are right. It's GN'R's most Beatle-esque moment.

This song? Boring as fuck.

To a Axl solo song....merely ok. There's nothing in there that have GNR's sound, if ever there was a "sound" of GNR.

Edited by auad

I think the only reason the leaked demo we first got sounded so 70s is cause it was analog sourced.  The CD version definitely sounded too clear after we had listened to the lossy version for years.

I think it still has some of that sound when they play it live though, cause it's not as polished.  Unfortunately, I don't think Axl has ever been able to pull this one off live.  Maybe the first few times in 2009 or 2010, but he sounds like he's  dying when they played it on NITL.

I actually love the leaked version. It think it has a great rhythm about it, and feels quite understated. It was a joy to hear for the first time, and It's never really lost its appeal to me.

The final version however, feels like it has had all of the life sucked out of it. I hate so much Bumbleheads solo. I don't like what they did to the rhythm of the outro. The drumming is amateur. It is shit.

Watching the live performances invokes in me sincerely sympathetic feeling for Axl. It pains me to see him like this. His eyes almost cry 'Help Me'.

Clear evidence that Guns N' Roses songs sound better when recorded with a potato.

24 minutes ago, maynard said:

In a scale from Ragnar to Maynard, Ragnar being 0 and Maynard being 10, I give CITR a GUNNER.

Actually, I'm 10 and you're 0, fuckturd.

On 11/21/2016 at 10:58 PM, Miser said:

He played "Build A Band" with no realization whatsoever that personal chemistry between members is a big factor in the quality of the music performed. You can't just put any two guys together in a group, regardless of how talented both may be, and expect magic just because. No one apparently liked Ron or wanted him in the band, for example.

The unit of Buckethead/Finck/Tobias/Brain/Freese/Pitman seemed tight as all those guys came from similar music backgrounds, or in the case of Bucket and Brain, were friends.  That's why most of the stronger material dates from the Finck/Paul/Josh Freese/Pitman era.

Sticking Ron, then Richard in there, then Frank, all guys who had nothing in common with the "original" nu band lineup hurt any prospects of the band actually being a band. Sticking DJ in there, who had nothing in common musically with any of them, was the final straw.

exactly

and not only that

there were several other issues

1) it was clearly a "do-as-you-want-you-have-carte-blanche-but-wait-a-minute-don't-forget-thati-have-the-final-word-on-everything" situation. meaning it was not really a band situation, there was a boss in the room (or, more accurately, out of the room)

2) everyone was on salary, and axl was paying them. axl was the boss no matter how much he wants to hide it or play "it was a democracy" card. people are free to believe in that and also that the earth is flat and sugar coat the obvious not-democratic situation of the whole thing. so again, it was not a band situation

3) by all accounts, there was little to none interaction in the writing sessions between the boss and his employees, since there are lots of accounts that axl didn't even go to the studio when the employees were writing, jamming, rehearsing etc

4) the employees didn't have a say on anything. who joins the band, what songs will and will not be played live, etc etc

the list goes on

that nonsense would likely have worked much better if axl had the guts to admit that that was his solo career and that he was the boss.

or, if he really wanted to play the "this-is-a-band" game, if he actually had made all of those employees a band of equals to him

quick answer:

love the song, always have. Bumblefuck fucked it. The solo is like asking a 3 year old kid to fingerpaint an oil painting. It was always going to end in 1 way, fucking shite.

I would've rathered pitman do some synth wankery then bumblefuck it with his shit solo that does not fit the song at all.

On 11/18/2016 at 6:44 AM, Miser said:

I think it's the only worthwhile track (perhaps outside of TWAT) on CD...Anyone agree? Catcher is the only bit of music on there that can be called in any way "experimental" and that's only because it's Axl's only attempt at pure pop.

one of the best songs

NANA NA NAA NAAA NAA NAA NA NA NA OH NA NA NA

fuck off any body who doesnt sing  along to that part.

One of my four favorites from CD.

Sounds like classic GnR and like it could have been on the followup to the Illusions, released in 1994.

12 minutes ago, auad said:

After 11 fuckin years...and we are talking about CD songs...

Geez :facepalm:

Youre still making Accept threads

13 minutes ago, auad said:

After 11 fuckin years...and we are talking about CD songs...

Geez :facepalm:

Says a guy that posts daily videos about a little 4 foot tall cock smoker nobody screeching led zeppelin songs

3 minutes ago, maynard said:

Youre still making Accept threads

No man.

I made just one Accept thread 🧵 

1 minute ago, GNS said:

Says a guy that posts daily videos about a little 4 foot tall cock smoker nobody screeching led zeppelin songs

Not daily.

try again.

The acoustic live version and the '99 demo are the best.

The Bumble guitar wankery sucks, but the Brian May solo was nothing too amazing. I believe Bucket or Robin could have done great solos