Sign in to follow this  
Tom!

Documentaries

What are some of your favorite documentaries you've seen? Any recommendations?

Netflix has a really good selection, I'm kind of working my way through what looks interesting.

ESPN produces really good documentaries if you're into sports, the 30 for 30 series is always top notch.

Man on Wire is really good. I also like Bowling for Columbine and some other Moore's stuff (which will make some people hate me) and Supersize Me.

When I was in college we watched Darwin's Nightmare and it's also recommendable. Heavy stuff though.

Tom, if you like the band The National you should check out Mistaken for Strangers too.

Lets see CNN race to the white house series , ESPN 30 for 30 and HBO vice series I would highly recommended.

My favorite documentaries are

The Boogeyman- The Lee Atwater Story .

Cartel Land on Netflix .

Cocaine Cowboys .

The smartest guys in the room the story of Enron.

Man on Wire is really good. I also like Bowling for Columbine and some other Moore's stuff (which will make some people hate me) and Supersize Me.

When I was in college we watched Darwin's Nightmare and it's also recommendable. Heavy stuff though.

Tom, if you like the band The National you should check out Mistaken for Strangers too.

Who could hate our favorite Cat Lady your Simpsons knowledge alone make me like you.

Also only a ingnaramous who dislike someone for their views on the world.

Bowling for Columbine was pretty entertaining despite the obvious agenda Michael Moore was trying to push.

I am fascinated by the Columbine shootings. As sad as it is, Eric and Dylan were two of the most influential people in the '90s. Their legacy continues today with all the current nutjobs shooting up schools almost every month.

Bowling for Columbine was pretty entertaining despite the obvious agenda Michael Moore was trying to push.

I am fascinated by the Columbine shootings. As sad as it is, Eric and Dylan were two of the most influential people in the '90s. Their legacy continues today with all the current nutjobs shooting up schools almost every month.

I want to know why it took 30 fucking minutes for newton police to enter the school after the first 911 was made meanwhile innocent children were being shot and the brave teachers who tried to protect them. They could have saved lives.

Lets see CNN race to the white house series , ESPN 30 for 30 and HBO vice series I would highly recommended.

My favorite documentaries are

The Boogeyman- The Lee Atwater Story .

Cartel Land on Netflix .

Cocaine Cowboys .

The smartest guys in the room the story of Enron.

Cocaine Cowboys and The Smartest Guys in the room are excellent

The Chris Farley documentary is outstanding.

It focuses mainly on him as a comedian and actor, very little on the drugs.

Highly recommend it

The Jinx is the best television i've ever seen - and the last 30 seconds is the greatest payoff in television history - LOST can get fucked.

Has anyone seen The Staircase? I watched the entire thing yesterday... its like 7 hours...TOTALLY WORTH IT!

If anyone has seen it - i would love to discuss. If you've not seen it - get on it.

Other suggestions:

The CNN series on decades (the sixties, seventies and now airing The Eighties) are all very good.

ESPNs 30 for 30, as mentioned-  you don't have to be a fan of a) sports or b ) the specific sport in question to love it - some of my favourite installments were on people / sports i either didn't know or really care about. A great story is a great story. For Red Sox fans (Bonham) - four days in october - amazing. You Don't Know Bo (Bo Jackson) is also very good.

Searching for Sugarman

Everything or Nothing - the untold story of 007

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead

Frontline - my brothers bomber (3 parts)

Frontline - league of denial (NFL / concussions)

BBC Horizon is a great series too - for instance: how long is a piece of string? To infinity and beyond, most of our universe is missing.

Excellent suggestions, everyone!

I've been loving the series American Genius. It chronicles great inventions, and how often rival inventors were trying to be the first one to make the product. I particularly recommend Jobs vs. Gates creating the personal computer, The Wright Brothers vs. the other guy creating the airplane, and Pulitizer and Hearst newspaper empire in New York City.

http://americangenius.nationalgeographic.com/episode/jobs-vs-gates/

For video game fans, The Smash Brothers is really great. It's long and in nine 25-40 minute parts, but it was very entertaining and got me to dust off my old Nintendo Gamecube.

Two docs I want to see are about Tom Petty, and the History of the Eagles, but they are each 4 hours long!

I am fascinated by the Columbine shootings.

Same here. We will never know the full story on what really happened that day or in the weeks/months leading up to it. The way the media spun the story sickens me.  The whole bullying thing(irrelevant), turning Cassie into a martyr(that story was bullshit), list goes on and on.

While it was technically a school shooting, it was supposed to be a terrorist attack. Media seriously downplayed that angle. While I do not believe in that government conspiracy crap about the massacre, they are definitely keeping the real story under wraps.

tumblr_m9k0uoSp3P1ruepmho1_r1_500.png

They've got some splainin' to do regarding that picture.

I never watched Bowling for Columbine. Not a big Moore fan but maybe I should watch it. I did read a great book on the massacre a few years ago.

As far as documentaries to recommend, Capturing the Friedmans is a must see.

I need to watch that one, just scared I'm going to be so bummed out when I see how shitty America is and how the deck is stacked against us.

I finally got around to watching Man on Wire, holy fuck, it was awesome. And I love how they got the title for the film, perfection. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, totally earned it.