The Simpsons Thread

Treehouse of Horror 15 was pretty damn good, I thought.

This was one I had to wait several years to see cause when it came out in fall of 2004, I was living in Japan with no internet, no smartphone, and it took a while just to get a VHS player and some tapes.   If I recall correctly I didn't even see this one til it was on a rerun when I was visiting home two years later!

Cold open had Kodos and Kang eat the Simpsons, but Bart survives and becomes part of their family, all set to the theme music from "Perfect Strangers."  Now that I liked.

Segment one is great...a take off of Steven King's "The Dead Zone" called "The Ned Zone."  Ned starts seeing how people will die, including Springfield exploding in an AKIRA-esque mushroom cloud of destruction if he doesn't murder Homer first.  Well, shenanigans ensue, and he kills Homer AND causes the explosion!  Flanders and Homer are great in this one.  So is Chief Wiggum.  Homer: Hey Chief, throw me your piece!"  Wiggum:  "Sure thing citizen!"  and he tosses him his gun, no questions asked.

Segment two was mostly annoying but had its moments.   It basically said "What if Springfield was old timey London and Lisa Simpson was Sherlock Holmes?  The premise is watered down cause they'll do episodes like this any time about anyone during the regular season cause they'd squeezed the very last drop out of storylines involving Springfield.

Anyway, if you thought horrific screecher Tress Macneille was bad (and she is, in this segment again), just wait til you hear Lisa's voice actress do the most hideous caricature of a British accent I've ever heard.  Cringey.

The only good part is that Moe's is now Mao's, and it's an opium den where everyone is laying around smoking opium.

The bad guy is caught and Raplh Wiggum flies away to a colorful fantasy world fueled by opium.

Last segment is really good.   The Simpsons have to shrink and go into Burns' body in order to rescue Maggie, who got shrunk.

Burns has the best lines....a regular felt tip pen cuts him like a knife.  Homer sets off a huge explosion in Burns' stomach and he just deadpans "Well.....that hurt like hell."

The end feels like a bit of a cheat cause Homer expands in Burns' body, so now they're sharing bodies again, just all the way back in episode two!!  And we're gonna see that premise re-used again.  Already running outta ideas, are they?

Having the Perfect Strangers theme come back for the ending credits was a great touch.

This was a good one.  If the next one if the one I think it is?  It's not great.....

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

new ink fellas

Wrestling was never my thing but I will always appreciate the weird gifs and videos @Dr. Strangelove, @Bill Brasky, and @Conor post. 

Why would the weather just abruptly come to an end after Spring? You've been smoking too much Prozac.

Posted Images

Episode 16.

Has a clever cold open of Kang and Kodos being bored to tears by the slow pace of the World Series but that causes everything to move TOO fast and it sucks up all of totality, leaving nothing.   May be the first time we get to see God's face on the show.

Segment One is one of mannnnyyy that will be like this from now on:  movie parodies, usually of movies that are long past.   This one is a parody of the movie A.I. but this time Bart wants revenge on the robot that replaced him.  It has a few moments, but it's pretty middle of the road stuff.

Segment two is a take off on "The World's Most Dangerous Game" which was an excellent short story I read in middle school.  Burns gathers all the losers in town, takes them to the jungle and starts shooting them, one by one.   Moe has a really great moment before life reminds him that he's Moe.  Homer makes it out alive.  I like this one.  It's not Halloween-y, but it's fun.

The last one IS Halloween-y.  A witch comes to town and makes all their costumes real and trapped on their body.  Lisa is fucking obnoxious as she tries to speak with Einstein's accent.  Eventually, Maggie also has witch powers and turns them all into big pacifiers.  Then Dennis Rodman show up for NO reason, and he's also three times bigger than everyone else.  No explanation.   Just very jarring and a strange way to end a show.

It was all right.  I think the next one is the one I was already thinking is gonna suck....

Outside of a few episodes I'll never get the love for The Simpsons. It was a trailblazing show, to be sure, and a cultural phenomenon in the 1980s and 1990s. Can't deny that. It's pretty clear that circa 1991 or 1992, Bart Simpson was a massive cultural icon in a way few cartoon characters have been. I will not deny the show's importance, or it's impact. That'd be like saying The Beatles weren't important

It's just....I love cartoons and I've never understood how they're better when compared to say, King of the Hill. They paved the route for adult oriented TV animation. But I feel like just cause they were first doesn't necessarily mean they were best. I've tried watching the early seasons with my Disney+ subscription but outside of some episodes of a few of the early and mid 1990s seasons, I just feel like it's just not that funny. It's well written and works as a sitcom. But it's not that funny in my opinion.

Gonna give it another shot. I'd like to love it.

I don't understand why the creators opted to stretch the early seasons' aspect ratio. It doesn't look good. I know my generation doesn't like pillarboxing, but it doesn't look right somehow.

26 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Outside of a few episodes I'll never get the love for The Simpsons. It was a trailblazing show, to be sure, and a cultural phenomenon in the 1980s and 1990s. Can't deny that. It's pretty clear that circa 1991 or 1992, Bart Simpson was a massive cultural icon in a way few cartoon characters have been. I will not deny the show's importance, or it's impact. That'd be like saying The Beatles weren't important

It's just....I love cartoons and I've never understood how they're better when compared to say, King of the Hill. They paved the route for adult oriented TV animation. But I feel like just cause they were first doesn't necessarily mean they were best. I've tried watching the early seasons with my Disney+ subscription but outside of some episodes of a few of the early and mid 1990s seasons, I just feel like it's just not that funny. It's well written and works as a sitcom. But it's not that funny in my opinion.

Maybe you're just too smart for The Simpsons and everyone else in the world that thinks it's amazing is wrong. Please take several pages to elaborate.

4 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

Maybe you're just too smart for The Simpsons and everyone else in the world that thinks it's amazing is wrong. Please take several pages to elaborate.

I actually never said that, and I don't think I'm too smart for The Simpsons, and never said that "everybody else in the world is wrong." Also, I highly doubt that "everyone else in the world" think it's amazing anyway.

I just think it's well written, but I don't find it funny. Everybody has different tastes in things. 

On 4/11/2020 at 11:34 AM, Knuckles said:

I'm actually curious about getting a discussion going here. I feel like they all have their strong and weakpoints and I'm genuinely interested in hearing why say A person favors A or B show. It's interesting to hear another perspective on it. I think adult cartoons are very important. It'd be cool to hear why say, you favor such and such over the rest.

Like for example, this may be heresy, but outside of a few episodes, I've never understood why The Simpsons is so acclaimed. I get that they were the originals, they did it first. But even watching the early episodes, I don't feel a lot of the humor has held up. To be honest, the humor strikes me as very odd. I actually feel pretty ashamed for not liking The Simpsons, because I want to. I just don't get what I'm missing that most people see. Of the ones listed here, my favorites are King of the Hill - because the humor is so subtle and the entire premise is very real and relatable, and Family Guy for a cheap laugh. 

Most people here will probably pick the Simpsons, so, I'm curious as to why it's considered so good, at least the first decade of it.

I've never really understood Groening's stuff in general. Futurama is okay but I never found it funny. Whereas I love Beavis & Butthead and King of the Hill, for whatever reason, stuff Mike Judge does just resonates with me. I feel like it hits this nice middle point between the extreme stupidity of Family Guy, the extreme cynicism and satire of South Park, and the more refined, more sitcom-esque thing The Simpsons does.

But I wanna hear other perspectives, because I know mine is in the minority. And I feel bad for it.

On 4/15/2020 at 4:13 PM, AxlisOld said:

We get it dude. You're so intellectual that you're above liking something that's universally agreed upon and loved.

Miser: "I don't get the Simpsons"

Society: "They're amazing, here's several examples why."

Miser: "I dunno man, I don't get it."

Society: "Here's many more reasons and examples of why everyone loves it."

Miser: "I dunno man (inserts inane opinion again differing from logic."

Society: "Well pretty much everyone in the world agrees on it."

Miser: "Am I so out of touch? No...no it's the Simpsons fans who are wrong."

Society: (gives up)

Miser: (bumps own topic to reiterate opinion)

Round and round.

I don't think the show will be on much longer only because the newer generation doesn't appreciate The Simpsons like people 30+. 

I would bet most Simpsons "fans" in their thirties would admit that they stopped watching the show years ago. 

It isn't good anymore. 

Now more than ever before, FOX is trying to push new animation shows. They used to coast along with Family Guy and the Simpsons but with television slowly dying, you can tell they are getting desperate to retain viewers. 

I think we are near the end. I give it two seasons more. 

9 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

It's as good as any of the other contemporary animated sitcoms. Maybe a little worse than Bob's Burgers. I don't see why they'd cancel it. It clearly makes them enough money to justify paying the cast exorbitant salaries.

I am probably talking out of my ass. I haven't bothered to watch Bless the Harts or Duncanville. 

I just feel as though if they really want to survive, they need a reboot.

Yeah, it's all about the writing, really.  And sadly, that team they had that created all the classics in season 3-6 have all long since moved on.

Al Jean fucking sucks.

I can't imagine the team of pussy ass woke diverse 30 year olds that comprise the current Simpsons writing room.

Treehouse of Horror episode 17.  I'm still at it.  It's getting tedious.  Next year I'm definitely just watching the best segments.  At least I'm over halfway, but sadly, the second half is exponentially worse.

This one had a cold open with Burns as the Cryptkeeper that's only notable cause Moe is in it, killed in an iron maiden, and Moe rules.

Segment one....Homer becomes a giant, cannibalistic blob.  Pretty dumb, but not terrible.  Has some moments.  The Baby Got Back remake was unnecessary.   The best part is probably Homer killing Dr. Phil.  Everyone hates Dr. Phil.

The next segment is the Jewiest Jew thing that ever Jewed.  It's even Jewier than the Jerry Lewis one.  Bart gets a Golem, a Jewish warrior/demon thing from Krusty, and it wreaks havoc.   Krusty mentions doing "a shoebox full of blow"....can't believe that got by the censors in 2006.  This one is not terrible, but not good.  Subjects us to the hideous voice of Fran Drescher, who tries extra hard to make her voice more hideous than usual, if possible.   This one is complete filler and completely forgettable.

And finally, the War of the Worlds parody, with Kang and Kodos invading Springfield.  Orson Welles is is in it.  (Well, not the real guy...he died in the 80s and playing Unicron in Transformers: The Movie was his last role.)  This segment has ONE good joke in the whole thing, where Lou, the black cop watches the aliens suck the innards out of Wiggum and says "Well, they didn't eat the skin...that's healthy."

Ends with the single most heavy handed, maudlin, over the top, "message" ever seen in one of the Halloween episodes, basically beating us over the head with the idea that "The war in Iraq is bad."   No fucking shit.  It's libtard Hollywood at its cringiest, talking down to the audience, preachiest peak.  Insultingly bad.

They had great writers. I loved the Conan o'brien episodes. Simpsons back then had awesome jokes and an emotional story. Simpsons nowdays....lame jokes, no story.

The movie was sooooo lame.

18 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Yeah, it's all about the writing, really.  And sadly, that team they had that created all the classics in season 3-6 have all long since moved on.

Al Jean fucking sucks.

I can't imagine the team of pussy ass woke diverse 30 year olds that comprise the current Simpsons writing room.

I don't think Matt Groening has any ties anymore. If you watch the new episodes,  they credit him as "Created by Matt Groening".

Matt Groening has very little to do with how successful the Simpsons became.  He's not a very good cartoonist at all, and he's always been a libshit.

The early stuff that was primarily his doesn't hold up...it's not very good.

It was that writer's room they assembled with guys like Conan and John Swartzwelder and all those guys that made the show what it is.  And they resented the hell out of Groening taking all the credit.

Yes, he designed the characters and gave the typical family sitcom a bit of a "subversive" edge, but it was those writers that took that seed and turned it into the best sitcom in TV history.

Well, some of the best Simpsons writers at the time migrated over to Futurama, so that's when a lot of people feel the Simpsons started to suck.

But not everything Matt Groening stamps his signature on turns to gold.  That medieval show on Netflix fucking sucks.   It's unwatchable.

Anyway, today is the 18th, so I just finished the 18th Treehouse of Horror.

I remember this one cause it was 2007, the very last episode I watched as it aired in America.  I was at my friend's house in Cleveland at the time.  All the rest I've downloaded and watched here.   Crazy.

From this point on, they pretty much rely on movie parodies.   There's probably at least one movie parody segment in all the remaining episodes, sometimes two or three.

The first one was a (kind-of) take off of E.T. with Kodos befriending Bart so he can build a space portal to destroy all humans.  It was OK, I guess.

Next was a parody of the movie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"....does anyone even fucking remember that?  It had Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.  I think I watched it once and it was shitty.  Anyway, Homer and Marge are competing assassins for hire.  It has one good line, where Chief Wiggum says there was a report of a "elaborately-choreographed high-octane ultra-fight."

The last segment is the only one that's even remotely about Halloween....Bart and his friends are pranking the town and Ned Flanders has a "Heck House" at the church to scare them straight.  They put on a little play with Skinner looking at an old Playdude magazine from 1966 and then getting hit by a cardboard schoolbus driven by Rod and Todd.  Flanders says "He's being punished for thinking women are beautiful!"  I always like that line.  Then the real devil possesses Flanders and the Heck House becomes a real Hell House.  It's not a bad sequence but it was really short and felt tacked on at the end.

There's still a few good segments left, but we are almost into godawful shit territory, too.  Should be interesting.

I think episode 31 airs tonight, but I'm just not gonna watch it til Halloween, cause that's the plan.

1 minute ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Next was a parody of the movie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"....does anyone even fucking remember that?  It had Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.  I think I watched it once and it was shitty.

I vividly remember hearing about their "chemistry" for months as a result of that movie. I've never seen it.

Well, FOX's scheduling fuck-ups have ruined my perfect plan of a month of Treehouse of Horrors, but I'm just gonna keep going anyway cause I don't wanna sit through all of these again.

Today brings us to episode 19, aired in 2008, right before the election.  So the cold open is Homer trying to vote for Obama but getting sucked into and killed by a rigged voting machine.  Remember 2008?  When you weren't told that the president is literally Hitler every 2 seconds of your fucking life?   Good times.

First segment is another movie parody, although a loose take off of Transformers.  It's pretty short and has very little "plot" actually.  Best line is when a robot named Sex Toy walks in and the others say "Where have you been?"  and Sex Toy chuckles and says "Where haven't I been?"

Second segment starts with a parody of the Mad Men opening credit sequence even though the segment has nothing to do with Mad Men.  They're really desperate for pop culture references I guess.  The plot involves Homer killing celebrities so their images can be used in ads.  Homer kills Prince and Neil Armstrong, which has gotta be awkward now when this episode airs in re-runs.  Rip Taylor is your other dead celebrity sighting.

This segment also revolves around the idea that Abraham Lincoln was gay.  I'd never heard that insinuated in my life.  But they really run with it.  Weird.  Also weird that they use VHS tapes in this segment.  I know those were very obsolete by 2008.

The last segment is a very accurate parody of the Great Pumpkin, and it's probably what I'd consider the last "great" THOH segment.  It's a wonderful mix of Charlie Brown and the Simpsons.  Milhouse is Linus and he believes in The Grand Pumpkin, only unlike the Charlie Brown version, in this one the Grand Pumpkin actually appears.

One interesting thing to note is that Nelson says "The Grand Pumpkin is super gay!"   I bet this line was cut or censored or re-dubbed since then.  There's no possible way super woke ass fucking faggy ass Simpsons of today would allow something so "offensive" to remain uncut.  There's probably trigger warnings for it on Disney +.  Most likely the woke crowd hasn't discovered it yet, but you can bet as soon as they do, they'll raise holy hell on twitter and the Simpsons staff will bend over backwards apologizing.    Fags.