jackie moon

Jackie Moon Presents: The Combat Sports (WWE/MMA) Thread of Excellence

my thought is this-

NFL - no body contact until college - you can identify who has potential in professional ranks via flag football - who is fast, who can catch? don't have junior / high school kids hitting one another

same in hockey - don't have them hitting until 17+, and that is being generous

MMA - no one should be taking head shots until they're 20.

I won't pretend to know much about NFL, I'll watch a couple games a year but that's it. However in terms of the no body contact until college, they suggested doing that over here for rugby and it's one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard, and I think would actually do a lot more harm than good. Again, I might be wrong in making the direct comparison, but here it's hugely important that you teach young players how to tackle properly. Bad tackling technique leads to injuries, and if you throw out a bunch of 18 year olds who are fast, strong and heavy with no idea of proper tackling technique because they've never been able to learn and practice it naturally, you're going to kill someone. 

I'm all for protecting players and everything, but I don't think banning contact like that is the way to go about it. I'm glad there's a much stricter policy regarding head injuries now though, and that's come on leaps and bounds in the last five or ten years.

I play ice hockey, i've played since i was 11 - same debate is had - and people say the same thing "you need to teach them to hit at a young age!"

you can't teach a person to take / give a hit at 18? really? the moment has passed? I always felt that was just a stupid redneck argument, no offense, not calling you a stupid redneck, just saying - i've only heard this from stupid rednecks.

Well, I'd first argue that hockey players are a lot more protected from hits than rugby players. I'm not going to pretend to know much about it because I only watch a few games a year, but from what I've seen, there's considerably more technique in making a rugby tackle without injuring yourself or the ball carrier than clearing someone out in a hockey game. If you make a rugby tackle badly you're seriously at risk of neck or head injury, as is the other person. I'm not negating the risk of hits in hockey, but I'd say neck injury in particular comes more under scrutiny in rugby. You certainly can teach people to do this at 18, but there's a considerable difference in teaching 8 year olds how to do this before they become a lot faster and a lot stronger. Bad technique at 8 years results in a bit of a kerfuffle and a bruise or two in most cases, however if you've a fully grown 18 year old man with considerable pace and muscle mass running into someone who doesn't know how to tackle, and you've got a problem. There are certainly levels to it and contact should be gradually introduced, for sure, but I'm 100% against not teaching kids how to tackle properly because you will get so many serious injuries. I appreciate that might be the redneck argument over there, but it's definitely the normal argument over here. And while it's the normal argument, everyone agrees that we should always look for ways to make it safer, but I don't think that's one of them.

I also do not know a lot about rubgy, so we agree on that :hi5:

i think the fact these kids are not physically developed should trump all other issues, which are debatable - what is not debatable; these skulls are not fully developed. Lets have fun with non-contact games, teach them about winning and losing - and if someone wants to get crazy later in life - do so.

I love MMA, and i think it should be a thing. but I saw a picture of 2 kids around 12 years old fighting, one with a mohawk - and i almost threw up - it's disgraceful.

They should be grappling, learning to wrestle, hitting a heavy bag - not taking headshots, Jesus Christ.

I feel it is similar to the stupid bitch in the american southwest who thought it was reasonable to have her 9 year old take lessons shooting an uzi, and the instructor ends up dead - those kids are not responsible, the parents are responsible, and clearly people are insane.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/us/arizona-girl-fatal-shooting-accident/index.html

These are the sorts of people having their 12 years olds compete in MMA fights.

In canada, hockey is such a culture, it does not appear odd to have your 14 year old kid skating full tilt into another kid, but it fucking should.

In the 1850's, it didn't seem odd to own a black person, doesn't mean its okay.

okay, maybe a bad example :awesome:

just kidding.

Edited by jackie moon

Well I think rugby and hockey are a million miles away from the MMA argument, that really is sick. There's a difference between teaching someone how to tackle properly and to check in hockey and having your 12 year either get repeatedly twatted in the head or do the same to someone else. The whole point in teaching kids how to tackle is so that they can do it safely, but for sure, a lot of the focus in younger years is ball skills and positioning. It's much easier to beat a man by passing to a teammate than it is to run through him. At the same time though, if someone is running at you, you need to know how to bring him/her down without injuring yourself or them, and that's considerably safer than illegally tackling or just standing there and getting bulldozed. 

And as it's a huge school sport here, if someone isn't playing safely, they don't play. I guess that's where the redneck problem comes in... That MMA thing is ridiculous though, that really should an 18+ deal.

I think Conor is 100% retiring - not saying he wont be back - but this isn't a $ or power dispute. He was close to a situation in Ireland where a fighter died last week, that is a fucking reality check.

You made over 10 million dollars, you're a national hero... and you see a situation where a person in your sport loses their life... and that can happen to anyone, at anytime.

This is fascinating.... I cannot believe this is over a press conference; 

Conor McGregor via FB

I am just trying to do my job and fight here. 
I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.
I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting. 
There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.
50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this. 
Nothing else was going through my mind. 
It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.
Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a fuck morning show did not get me this life. 
Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a fuck about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
I'm coming for my revenge here. 
I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep. 
With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight. 
I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.
I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
But it was denied. 
There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me. 
So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them. 
And all with one tweet.
Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good. 
I must isolate myself now.
I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time. 
I can not dance for you this time.
It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here. 
Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it. 
He came in with no shit to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.
Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.
I'm doing what I need for me now. 
It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way. 
I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway. 
I am still ready to go for UFC 200. 
I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say. 
For the record also - 
For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations - 
I AM NOT RETIRED.

http://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1260441947357435

After reading Connor McGregor post how do you disagree with him he is 100 percent right.

I don't disagree, I think he did make a miscalculation though - he has done the company a ton of favours over the past few years - not so much favours, but i mean he went above and beyond. He did more promotion and made more money than anybody has before. He is a star like no other. 

When he took a loss, refocused, and wanted to skip a press conference, I think he believed he had earned a certain amount of special treatment, he did all those favours for the UFC, now they could return the favour. 

One thing i've certainly learned in the business world - there favours do not really happen. And when they do, there is something hidden between the lines. 

I think Conor was shocked they were going to make him go to the presser, so he said 'alright, i'm retiring, fuck yall' - expecting them to cave. Then Dana goes on TV and announces they've pulled Conor from UFC 200 - and conor goes off on FB - now we are in a full blown pissing contest. 

This is probably more entertaining than UFC 200 will ever be. 

Jackie Moon do you think this might all be a work ( Con) ?

I mean Dana White is the closest thing i have ever seen to Vince McMahon and ufc 200 was not a stacked card no Rousey , Jones, Lesnar who were the ufc biggist draws.

Smells fishy.

It's snapchat - you can put the face of any photo on your head - the above are before / after photos of Rory MacDonald UFC 189.

Earlier today I made a series of videos, Hitler and Queen Elizabeth talking shit to each other. It was pretty dope.

The UFC 198 main event was amazing on so many levels - Werdum (pre-198 arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time) versus Stipe (a nearly-pro baseball player ,current firefighter, also from Cleveland, worth mentioning), and Werdum totally fucked up. Well, he got hit;

He got hit, and then he started chasing Stipe like he wanted to get it back,

Stipe cut an angle and totally erased the last 3 minutes of Werdums life.

So good! Stipe is a great dude - so happy for him. I don't think Werdum really did anything "wrong" - he was just fucked up, so he rushed, and he got further fucked up.

screen_shot_2016-05-14_at_10.51.32_pm.pn

Wow, Cody Rhodes lives in a sad world of denial and delusion.  That dramatic letter he wrote.. it's like, I don't think it's dawned on him that he doesn't quite have the charisma it takes to be the champ.  Sorry bro, your name is Cody, you were always destined to be the less successful little shit spawn of your father.  Should've chosen a different profession.  You had your shot.  

He's a great wrestler and I do think he could have been a credible champion if booked properly, but that letter was the definition of entitlement and lowered my opinion on him immensely.