Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

#GnFnR 4-9-16 T-Mobile Arena - Las Vegas, Nevada

maybe it would be better if we started talking about something we can all probably agree on -

i do think it is hilarious they are playing CD songs - it is pretty clear this is Axl insisting on having Slash & Duff play songs from CD to validate his version of GNR - can we all agree on that?

Yes. But why does it need validation? It's on wikipedia. :lol:

OK. Now I'm done, GUNNER.

Haha, i don't disagree - Axl needs it validated - because there are people out there who apparently don't have Wikipedia.

Oh Juan Moonsault, national hero. Parades in Mexico, there are.

I love the Montreal canadiens, great team, 1909-1995, and 1997-present. I refuse to acknowledge 1996, I didn't like that team, not a Montreal canadiens style team, so they don't count.

It really is a bad analogy. You shouldn't use it.

Have no fears, GUNNER. It's not a real fight. jackie is my new boyfriend. Relax, relax, everyone. I'm polyamorous.

I think it is a great analogy. Fantastic. The point is - within an organization, you don't get to pick and choose which parts you acknowledge as fans. You can stop watching a team for a few seasons, if they suck, or you don't like management, but at the end of the day, the crest on the jersey is more important than any name or number on the back.

Perhaps I am not understanding the argument - and to be clear, as i understand it, the argument is not coming from you, so its not personal, its a more general argument; I don't think you're making the argument (it's not gnr)

I don't know, it doesn't matter. It just feels like such a stupid argument;

its not gnr. lol okay!

And I'll leave it there. :awesome:

Edited by jackie moon

Everybody knows GN'R has been GN'R all over the years because GN'R=Axl and Axl was always there.

Ok, now you can stop before it gets uglier.

I think it is a great analogy.

I have come up with a scenario in which this is a terrible analogy - so i accept the counterpointl;

The Montreal Canadiens analogy was not as good as i originally believed it to be. I admit it.

CD is a GNR release. I think we agree on that.

Fuck Pittman.

Lets all be friends.

in before Ole Beich and Rob Gardner :lol:

I imagined a scenario in which GNR somehow became Scott Weiland, Eddie Van Halen, Duff MacKagan, Richard Fortus and Matt Sorum - is it GNR?

My argument fell apart.

Nothing wrong with admitting when you're wrong (RE: 96' Montreal Canadians analogy) - i would rather admit i'm wrong vs. arguing a poor point into the ground.

But seriously, the 1996 Canadiens were fucking terrible.

I've never been able to intellectually reconcile my rabid sports fandom with Seinfeld's observation that I'm basically rooting for laundry.

What is music? It's not a physical thing. It's sound.

What is Guns N' Roses?

I don't agree with the spirit of your post, but i do love you forever for bringing Waiting for Guffman into this. You're a true hero.
You can go round and round as to what is GNR and what isn't. Some would say it ended after Appetite was released, before the Illusions came out, when Adler was canned, or when Izzy left. Still others might say it was over in 1993, or in 1995, after Sympathy for the devil, in 1997 when Duff left, after Buckethead and Robin left, or that as long as Axl is there, it's GNR. I happen to lean towards that thinking after going around and around on this debate in my mind. It really is, that whole Zen thing. Edited by Major Mayhem

I've never been able to intellectually reconcile my rabid sports fandom with Seinfeld's observation that I'm basically rooting for laundry.

I was unable to immediately recall this reference, so i googled, it, something GNR-CD deniers are apparently incapable of ( :CoolFace: ), upon review;

I've always felt i'm rooting for the city more than the clothes- although i do admit, how pretty the jerseys are does play a role. Also; i chose my NFL allegiance based on the mascot implications - i narrowed it down to tailgating, and obviously went with the pirate themed teams, because who doesn't want to dress like a pirate? Vs., say, wearing a piece of cheese on your head? Fair point Seinfeld, rooting for laundry / costume.

Perhaps off topic. Lets get this train rolling again.

I liek slash and duff. I am pleased they are playing gnr songs again. And covering CD material

- LOL!! This went so long, i forgot what actually started it off - someone said they were covering Chinese Democracy material - that is guns n' roses covering guns n' roses!

Oh god.

So hey, they played Coma.

Edited by jackie moon

It's pretty fascinating to hear slash play cd songs. Never thought id see the day. To me, it sounds like he's intentionally phoning it in. No melody. Just fast notes. Like he's standing on his side of the stage thinking, "if it's shedding you want, fine here's a bunch of fast notes."

It's pretty fascinating to hear slash play cd songs. Never thought id see the day. To me, it sounds like he's intentionally phoning it in. No melody. Just fast notes. Like he's standing on his side of the stage thinking, "if it's shedding you want, fine here's a bunch of fast notes."

I didn't listen to the solo on this one, but the Better solo from one of the other nights sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me too.

I didn't listen to the solo on this one, but the Better solo from one of the other nights sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me too.
Same as the first one pretty much kinda

Sorry Jackie, I think the CD era should be shit on from a height until the end of time. 

The performance from the last three gigs just further illustrates what a gigantic waste of time the past 23 years have been for Axl and Slash.

i liked your post not because i agree, but because i like the way it was presented :thumbsup:

CD has been in my car CD player for about 4 years, i usually listen to my phone through bluetooth, but the CD player is the back up, and often used.

AFD has been in there for probably .25 years.

Not asking you to agree or anything - just saying - Those songs mean something to a number of people. Better is a great song. Bucket was a great GNR guitarist. It's not garbage, and it should not be thrown away just because Axl, Slash and Duff agreed to make a ton of money.

I don't mind the current lineup covering some of the material

I hope you don't take this as an offensive strike - because i appreciate your post, i believe you're being fair from your position, but i challenge;

how are they covering the material?

So Guns N' Roses is covering Guns N' Roses?

That's logically impossible.

Are you refusing to acknowledge Guns N' Roses (2008) as Guns N' Roses, and injecting the cover disclaimer based on your own personal position?

GNR is GNR. If you didn't like the band at that time - that is cool, but its on you. Don't call it a cover. There is no "realGNR", there is no "nuGNR", or "nununuGNR" - there is just GNR. All had talented musicians. All had Axl. All albums are very good - with some songs that aren't so good, depending on who you ask. Shotgun blues is fucking shit.

You can't start picking and choosing what is or isnt GNR. Slash and Duff have decided they will share a stage with Axl, and play CD era songs. I believe that is at AXls insistence, but regardless, the original era fans should just drop it, and "it" is the position that CD era GNR isnt gnr. It is. It's on Wikipedia. It's a thing. And no amount of internet forum posts will make it untrue. so CD haters can post all day and night, it wont change a thing.

Technically (and legally), CD was done by a completely separate legal entity. It just operated under a familiar name. It actually does go beyond just having different cooks in the kitchen. So I mean, there is actually legal merit in viewing them as separate entities. Because in reality, they actually are.

Having CD songs in the set list is just basically having replacement covers/piss breaks for Motivation, Riff Raff, Glad to be here, etc. There's no logical reason in playing them other than to stifle Axl from being a baby back bitch. No one in the general audience cares/wants the songs, no one even respects them as Gnr songs, so it's all about putting that band aid on Axl's ego. Small price to pay for having Slash and Duff back. But still, having anything beyond the title track and Better is absolutely excessive even for Axl. They should definetely cut back in the future.

You can't start picking and choosing what is or isnt GNR. Slash and Duff have decided they will share a stage with Axl, and play CD era songs. I believe that is at AXls insistence, but regardless, the original era fans should just drop it, and "it" is the position that CD era GNR isnt gnr. It is. It's on Wikipedia. It's a thing. And no amount of internet forum posts will make it untrue. so CD haters can post all day and night, it wont change a thing.

Hmmm...you sort of can.

I didn't dislike CD by any stretch. But, at least to me, it wasn't Guns N' Roses so much as it was "Guns N' Roses".

Even thought I liked it, if someone told me they didn't consider it GNR, I can't really take issue with that. I only barely considered it GNR myself.

I think part of the failure of the CD era is the fact that yes, despite what Axl might have wanted, the fans actually do decide what is or isn't GNR, and the CD era was never fully embraced by the fanbase.

And part of me thinks that Axl too, deep down inside, knew it wasn't GNR either.

When you listen to the end of 'November Rain' in these clips from this weekend, or all of 'Estranged', doesn't it just sound better?

It sounds like Guns N' Roses again. Those other guys were clearly competent musicians. But it just wasn't the same.

Honestly I find the fact that they're playing CD songs to be the most interesting part of all this. It adds an element nearly akin to new song hype.

When the videos from the first show were going up, they were the first things I sought out.

I think he does a good job on them. Much prefer the shorter 'Chinese Democracy' without the pretentious intro.

I have to say I was so scared of Slash tackling November Rain and Estranged after all these years. Especially after that abysmal November Rain solo he dragged onto the Grammys some years back. But he sure as shit took back what was his, holy fuck.

I get these guilty little smiles everytime I watch videos of them killing it. I have never gotten giddy over anything, not fucking ever. But holy fuck, I borderline squeal to the point I wanna kick my own ass and donate man cards to the Salvation Army out of guilt :lol: It still feels like a dream watching these videos. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not delusional and that this is actually happening. It just still doesn't feel real yet.

I was there both nights. Night one was amazing in itself but night two was on an entirely different level. They brought it all and killed it on just about every song

....some songs sounded better live during night 2 than when I saw them in 1991 during their peak. They are back. Absolutely amazing.

I was there both nights. Night one was amazing in itself but night two was on an entirely different level. They brought it all and killed it on just about every song

....some songs sounded better live during night 2 than when I saw them in 1991 during their peak. They are back. Absolutely amazing.

Some random dude yelled at me at the aftershow because "your buddy was ruining everybody's night jumping all over the place waving his arms about". I asked him what the fuck he expected to see in the pit at a Guns n Roses gig and he shut right the fuck up. :lol: