Miser

Was Terminator 2 kinda "meh", in retrospect?

My main issue with T2 is they made it PG 13.  The whole "shooting guys in knees" was mildly funny as a joke, but as a kid I was always bothered it was PG 13 and they skimped on the good R-rated action that the first one had. 

I think they made up for it with tearing up an entire fleet of cop cars with a gatling gun and 40mm grenade launcher. Maybe it was convenient he spent most of his time shooting at another robot for most of the film, but it wasn't forced. For the genre, it's my favorite film. I've watched the directors commentary a few times, so some of the FX standout (except for the fucking nut of a helicopter pilot actually flying underneath the overpass), but I think it's a great blend of CGI and FX.

And I get a kick out of John Connor, especially compared to the rest of the film. I mean, how would 11 year old Miser have fared as J.C., never mind as a child actor compared to Arnold in his prime. And lolShortround. 

R.I.P. man

I know this is going to sound cheesy but I do mean it genuinely, given the guy's love for T2 (see his sig and avatar), we should all watch T2 tonight in his honor.

R.I.P. :(

My main issue with T2 is they made it PG 13.  The whole "shooting guys in knees" was mildly funny as a joke, but as a kid I was always bothered it was PG 13 and they skimped on the good R-rated action that the first one had.

I think they made up for it with tearing up an entire fleet of cop cars with a gatling gun and 40mm grenade launcher. Maybe it was convenient he spent most of his time shooting at another robot for most of the film, but it wasn't forced. For the genre, it's my favorite film. I've watched the directors commentary a few times, so some of the FX standout (except for the fucking nut of a helicopter pilot actually flying underneath the overpass), but I think it's a great blend of CGI and FX.

And I get a kick out of John Connor, especially compared to the rest of the film. I mean, how would 11 year old Miser have fared as J.C., never mind as a child actor compared to Arnold in his prime. And lolShortround.

R.I.P. man

I know this is going to sound cheesy but I do mean it genuinely, given the guy's love for T2 (see his sig and avatar), we should all watch T2 tonight in his honor.

Homan also really, really loved Dust N' Bones.

R.I.P. man

Homan also really, really loved Dust N' Bones.

Which is one of the best tracks on both of those records. He had great taste in pretty much everything. I remember talking movies and the like with him. He was a funny guy but had great taste too. It's times like these I hope there's an afterlife - a bright light like his shouldn't stop shining anywhere. Actually, typing this makes me sad. I wish I'd gotten to know the guy even better than I did. He was cool :').

Miser, I couldn't disagree more.

Yes, Terminator 2 was a completely different film, a totally different vibe, but T2 was awesome then and it's even more awesome now. 

It might not be your favorite, but "meh"?

22 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

Miser, I couldn't disagree more.

Yes, Terminator 2 was a completely different film, a totally different vibe, but T2 was awesome then and it's even more awesome now. 

It might not be your favorite, but "meh"?

It has some cool scenes but it just didn't do it for me as a sequel. The original is one of my favorite films of all time, so that skews it for me. For one, I much prefer the relentlessly dark atmosphere to T2's more campy tone. Secondly, as a hero, I prefer Michael Biehn to Arnie. Biehn is an off-beat choice for a movie lead, and it works well for the Man vs. Machine theme. He's scrawny, wiry and tiny compared to Arnold. I've never much really cared for Arnold as an an actor outside of Conan, Predator and T1. He works much more effectively as a villain for me than as a hero. I like Sarah as the primary protagonist compared to her son, and you get to see her titties! But seriously, she has an arc whereas John really doesn't. She starts off the typical damsel in distress and ends up taking charge at the end. She's likable and relatable as a character.

As far as it being Arnie's prime, I think his massive build in the 80s makes him look like a monster. In T2 he lost a lot of weight and while strong, is a lot leaner and already looks aged.

I also prefer how tight T1 is compared to the sequel. The editing is better. It's shorter; T1 is 1 hour and 48 minutes compared to the bloat of T2's 2 hours and 34 hours, and the editing is off where that 2 hours sends to drag for me at times. 

I'm not saying it's a horrible film. Just for me, it's a meh sequel. I like taut, dark sequels for films. Hence why I actually prefer Temple of Doom to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

There is no scene in T2, or the rest of the series, as great as the following:

Also, the ending - The Terminator now in skeletal form rising from the fire as a vision of metal and death - is so iconic, and has never been topped.

2 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

The only thing that really bothers me about T2 other than John Connor is how Arnold doesn't kill anyone in the biker bar. All they would've had to do to get away with that is do an intro scene where the bikers are doing some despicable shit before the Terminator walks in.

It also doesn't make sense. Arnold hasn't sworn not to kill anyone yet. Yet he just throws people around where in the original, he would've killed all of them. It also would've made the audience wonder who the good guy was supposed to be.

I think Cardi helped me hit upon my biggest qualm with T2: They're trying to humanize Arnold Schwarzenegger. Arnold isn't a good actor, IMO, not a bad actor but an acquired taste, and he works best in films that downplay that, such as Conan where he only has a select number or lines, or the original Terminator, or in films which are as over the top as he himself is such as Predator or Total Recall. I can't take him seriously in films where he has a lot of dialogue and is just acting like a regular hero. It just doesn't work for me. He's got a very awkward persona IMO. This works best in Twins.

One of my all time favorite movies, and this is my favorite scene.

Sarah thinks she's free, and then runs into Arnold for the first time in years, remembering him as the cold merciless killer he was.  Powerful scene, the look of terror on her face as she's convinced she's about to die, having no clue that the same thing that tried to kill her in the past is now trying to help her and her son.

Y'all know this movie is being re-released in theaters on August 25th in 3D ... right? 

My only response to this ridiculous thread about one the greatest movies of all time.

i cry at the end pal.

big fat ginger tears ? 

Goddammit, these walls of text over T2. It's not a movie too think a lot about, just lol.

Btw, great movie, lots of fun, good action scenes, it makes me happy. That's all I can say about it.

6 hours ago, MBrose said:

Goddammit, these walls of text over T2. It's not a movie too think a lot about, just lol.

Btw, great movie, lots of fun, good action scenes, it makes me happy. That's all I can say about it.

Men can argue for hours over action movies, we are just wired that way :lol:

On 07/03/2016 at 0:17 PM, John Bonham said:
On 05/03/2016 at 1:06 PM, magisme said:

The Abyss was my jam when I was a kid.

God, that film was abysmal.

Abyssmal even. 

On 03/06/2017 at 10:31 PM, bran said:

Men can argue for hours over action movies, we are just wired that way :lol:

Commando. [/thread]

22 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

There are no other Terminator movies. There are 2 of them.

This we can agree on.

It's just...While I do enjoy T2, I wish the bigger budget had been used to show us the future war we saw glimpses of in the first movie. I mean, have Terminator II be a "prequel" to the first movie in the sense that it's the last desperate battle leading up to the Human Resistance's capture of the Time Displacement facility, and ending with Kyle going back in time to 1984 - which leads to the beginning of the first film. Something like that, directed by Cameron in 1991, could've been perhaps not only one of the best science fiction action films ever made, but an amazing war film, too.

Then you could've had T2 (as is) been the REAL T3 and closed the saga out in an awesome little trilogy. One horror film. One war film. One action film. Fin.

T2 was the last great action movie from the era of the roided up action star. It also served as a bridge between the 80's and 90's that both GNR and Arnold crossed before imploding with their next releases: Last Action Hero and The Spaghetti Incident.

• Terminator is Appetite For Destruction - Dark and gritty.
  • T2 is UYI I & UYI II - Big budget Hollywood productions.
  • Last Acton Hero is The Spaghetti Incident - The point where they became overblown parodies of what they once were. Both movies and music had moved on by this time.
  • End of Days is Oh My God - After being out of the spotlight for a while Arnold and Axl tried to make a comeback by once again sharing the same vehicle. They failed! 
  • Terminator III is Chinese Democracy - Arnold makes a Terminator movie without the other people who made that franchise great. Axl does the same thing with GNR.
  • Arnold quits making movies and goes into politics while Axl quits making music and goes into nostalgia tours.
  • Arnold and Axl are now washed up old has beens who try to start feuds with President Trump on twitter in order to keep their names in the public eye.

6 hours ago, Donald Trump said:

T2 was the last great action movie from the era of the roided up action star. It also served as a bridge between the 80's and 90's that both GNR and Arnold crossed before imploding with their next releases: Last Action Hero and The Spaghetti Incident.

• Terminator is Appetite For Destruction - Dark and gritty.
  • T2 is UYI I & UYI II - Big budget Hollywood productions.
  • Last Acton Hero is The Spaghetti Incident - The point where they became overblown parodies of what they once were. Both movies and music had moved on by this time.
  • End of Days is Oh My God - After being out of the spotlight for a while Arnold and Axl tried to make a comeback by once again sharing the same vehicle. They failed! 
  • Terminator III is Chinese Democracy - Arnold makes a Terminator movie without the other people who made that franchise great. Axl does the same thing with GNR.
  • Arnold quits making movies and goes into politics while Axl quits making music and goes into nostalgia tours.
  • Arnold and Axl are now washed up old has beens who try to start feuds with President Trump on twitter in order to keep their names in the public eye.

Oh My God... you nailed it.