meatpuppet

Mountaineering

I've recently gotten the mountaineering bug. I've been to a lot of places in neighboring states. Unfortunately the east coast just has little mountains so its not real mountaineering. If I lived out west it would be more of an adventure. Anyone into mountaineering/trails/rock climbing or been to some famous summits?

photo_bg_everest.jpg

I'm too old to climb and too young to die.

Not really true. You are never too young to die. Many mountaineers never make it to 40.

CSrKJFsVAAA0g7T.jpg

Katahdin from a few weeks ago. It was beautiful but not quite Everest. Everest base camp is 3x as high as this mountain. The old grey mountain ain't what she used to be. From what I've read Everest is like Disneyland nowadays with long lines to the top and 4,000 people at base camp.

Not really true. You are never too young to die. Many mountaineers never make it to 40.

You're right ... but that's not what I want for my life (or death) :lol:

CSrKJFsVAAA0g7T.jpg

Katahdin from a few weeks ago. It was beautiful but not quite Everest. Everest base camp is 3x as high as this mountain. The old grey mountain ain't what she used to be. From what I've read Everest is like Disneyland nowadays with long lines to the top and 4,000 people at base camp.

You hiked Katahdin? :wub:

Yeah just to the top and back though. The knife edge was would have taken forever to cross in this weather without falling and I had to drive home.

CS2N3u-UwAEezFG.jpg

Invisible drop off to the bottom

CS2N3kVUcAIhIWV.jpg

What I like about the movie Everest is that Anatoli Boukreev's character was finally redeemed to a wide audience. For years people relied on Jon Krakauer's popular version of events from his book Into Thin Air. And Jon still isn't backing down throughout the years. "It’s total bull,” he told The Los Angeles Times. “Anyone who goes to that movie and wants a fact-based account should read Into Thin Air."

Guides Lopsang Sherpa and Anatoli Boukreev disputed Jon's version provided earlier on in his article for Outside magazine, writing letters themselves to Mountain Zone instead. Outside refused to publish Boukreev's response letter without editing/shortening it.

You honestly can't pass judgment on either side without looking at all the versions so I would recommend reading Jon's book as well as Boukreev's books The Climb and Above the Clouds. I won't go into it but you'll see that Jon does what he can to defend his version and you'll notice he didn't have all the facts despite all his research.

#teamboukreev

Lopsang and Anatoli both died coincidentally in separate avalanches less than a year after Into Thin Air was published. Not trying to start any rumors or nothing. Just RIP.

lopsang-sm.jpg boukreev-risk.jpg

Never heard of the Continental Divide. It makes the Appalachian Trail look like a waste of time. I'm jealous.

It is breathtaking alright.

loveland3.jpg

I had my photo taken beside this sign.

The roadways up there are like this:

loveland-pass-colorado5.jpg

Also hiked up here

809697.jpg

"Into the Wild" was also a great book I loved reading when I was younger. I was ignorant of Krakauer being in the Everest storm until years later. I had no idea "Into the Wild" was made into a movie until recently. "Into the Clouds" is much better book than "The Climb" but I would still read both to get all the perspectives.

From last month:

CoA4ghNW8AE0TcK.jpg

A pool on Zealand falls / Mt. Hale loop.

CoA4jsbWIAATcWO.jpg
Liberty Cabin with Mt. Chocorua in background.

Going to Katahdin this weekend (I drove all the way to Maine July 4th weekend and left my Baxter State Park parking pass at home :facepalm: )