John Bonham

what did you think chinese democracy was going to sound like

Depends on how far back you go.

In 1999, all we had was the word of a Rolling Stone interviewer and the song "Oh My God."

We'd get a few more songs in 2001 and that was it for a long time.  There were long years when all we could do was speculate.

22 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Depends on how far back you go.

In 1999, all we had was the word of a Rolling Stone interviewer and the song "Oh My God."

We'd get a few more songs in 2001 and that was it for a long time.  There were long years when all we could do was speculate.

It's surreal to only be able to imagine how songs sound like for years and then finally hear them.

In the midst of the massive hype, song descriptions, etc years ago, I imagined something like Slayer meets The Cure, especially the fire and ice thing.

Never got that of course but we got Soundgarden meets A Flock of Seagulls in Oklahoma.

On 11/23/2015 at 2:21 AM, MIA said:

I doubt there is some mind blowing track list in an alternate universe.

I was wrong....

1 hour ago, MIA said:

It's surreal to only be able to imagine how songs sound like for years and then finally hear them.

In the midst of the massive hype, song descriptions, etc years ago, I imagined something like Slayer meets The Cure, especially the fire and ice thing.

Never got that of course but we got Soundgarden meets A Flock of Seagulls in Oklahoma.

How about Iron Maiden meets late era Faith No More?

The rolling stone interviewer  [was it David Wild?]  described it as Psychical Graffiti mixed by Reznor, and I think that's pretty close. With classic rock structures mixed with industrial flares meant to update the sound. Even if the Snakepit album had been well received I don't think it would have changed Axl's mind that it was time to spruce up the sound. Nothing drastic, but to the same level that UYI is a logical build on top of AFD and Lies. 

And the fact that the Snakepit album wasn't viewed as positive probably emboldened Axl to stick to his guns. 

When I heard Madagascar from Rio, I imagined a real horn section, and a real Orchestra, a 64 piece band or so, big rolling orchestral swaggering beast. I had Kasmir meets that late 90s electronica influence in my mind.

Nah, got a shitty Casio keyboard instead. I was disappointed. The song is good, the execution was terrible.

I feel the same way about The Blues. That song sounded great when first played. It became progressively worse on each tour, and the recorded version was a let down.

To this day, Oh My God is the only one that lived up to my expectations. Harder edge, simple rock tune, with lots of late 90s vibes.

Fucking Axl

We had Fink &  Buckethead really good to great guitar players 

Add Stinson, Fortus and Freese as your  rhythm & percussion

if the lazy ginger just put out 2000 intentions in July 2000 we would be living in a world where nugnr were legends

instead Bumble , Frank and Caram destroyed a great album.

25 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

if the lazy ginger just put out 2000 intentions in July 2000 we would be living in a world where nugnr were legends

What if he'd waited until 2003 or so, allowing Bucket to basically have his way with the material? In a world of 'maybe', we may have three Axl/Bucket/Brain albums by now, and we'd be complaining about why it's been ten years since that incredible third record dropped. With three records in six years and tons of touring, Bucket may not have ever left, or may have at least hung around until Axl and Slash made up. I'm going to cry.

I'm a massive BH fan, clearly. But aside from his otherworldly skills, I think my next favorite part about the dude is that he seemingly hasn't aged a day in nearly thirty years. His face looks exactly the same. With everyone complaining about Axl and Slash's appearances, I think Bucket's look is noteworthy.

Now would somebody please drop Shankler's?

1 hour ago, evader said:

Now would somebody please drop Shankler's?

tenor.gif

Bucket was at God level in 2002 when he released Electric Tears. Can't even imagine what he may have brought to the Chinese buffet in that timeframe.

Brain told that story about coming to rehearsal and having Axl ask him if he knew Bucket. But I'd love to know what originally put bucket on Axl's radar. In the same vein as when Axl was watching Robin Finck play with NIN and commenting to Duff how he wanted Robin in GNR,  I'd love to know what the moment was or if there was a specific piece of music from each guy that inspired Axl to remake GNR in that image.

13 minutes ago, Uzi Your Illusion said:

But I'd love to know what originally put bucket on Axl's radar. 

Josh Freese.

As far as Finck goes, it was actually Sorum who brought him into the mix.

3 minutes ago, MIA said:

Josh Freese.

As far as Finck goes, it was actually Sorum who brought him into the mix.

Thats right sorry Freese not Brain. But Freese said Axl brought Bucket up to him I believe right? And asked if he knew him I think? if that's the case I wonder the first time Axl heard Bucket's playing and thought it would work.

And the concert with Sorum again is after he's already considered Finck so i would kill to know when it first clicked that he could be the guy?

I don't think Axl's ever spoke about that 

Just now, Uzi Your Illusion said:

Thats right sorry Freese not Brain. But Freese said Axl brought Bucket up to him I believe right? And asked if he knew him I think? if that's the case I wonder the first time Axl heard Bucket's playing and thought it would work.

I've always thought that Axl heard Colma and/or Monsters and Robots and it blew his mind. That's Buckets greatest 1-2 punch in his discog and they were released a year before Bucket joined GNR.

Both albums are perfect snapshots regarding what he brings to the table.

8 minutes ago, Donald Trump said:

I thought it would sound like State of Grace and Oklahoma.

Oklahoma blows my mind on a daily basis. I can't fathom how you leave something like that in the vault.

5 minutes ago, MIA said:

Oklahoma blows my mind on a daily basis. I can't fathom how you leave something like that in the vault.

I think Chinese Democracy was more of a leak compilation than whatever it was Axl intended to put out.

2 minutes ago, Miser said:

Why do no recorded versions of Silkworms seem to have the whole "What can I do/with a bitch like you" bit? :(

Because it's my favorite part of the song and God hates me.......

Just now, Donald Trump said:

I think Chinese Democracy was more of a leak compilation than whatever it was Axl intended to put out.

Absolutely. The leaks + just enough tracks to fill up the disc.

I would love to know what the original track list would've been. In 2002 he said the track list was ready and I guarantee it's different than what we got.

On 9/27/2019 at 7:20 AM, EstrangedTWAT said:

long years when all we could do was speculate.

Yeah  in 2004 like clockwork the weekly threads...

- Should Madagascar be the 2nd single?

- Should Axl release an EP before Chinese Democracy?

- Your favorite Axl outfits?

- Is it all Slash's fault?

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ab2301d2d7006335598

I can't get over how much better The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, and RIAD sound on the Storage Locker Demos. I have never even liked Chinese Democracy or RIAD but both of them sound great on this. Axl, if you are reading this, please put out a remixed version of Chinese Democracy from the locker sessions. Cleanse the album of Bumblefoot and Frank's shit vibes. Also, scale back the orchestra bullshit. It is mostly unneccessary and takes away from the other instruments on the songs.