Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

JB's Grateful Dead corner

6 hours ago, arnold layne said:

@John Bonham

The local theater is showing a tape of the Grateful Dead in concert. 

If I have the day off I might go. Wouldn't mind having some kine bud along with me. 

They are showing 7-7-89 which was the first Dead show I ever went to.

The Grateful Dead had a lot of lineup changes.

Not as many as Guns N' Roses, but a significant amount.

It is one of the reasons that they were able to keep it interesting for 30 years.

The '67 band sounds really different than the '79 band.

The early version of the band had Pigpen as their frontman. A blues-singer who played harmonica, keyboards, and percussion. He was a combination of Janis Joplin and Otis Redding. My interest in the band takes a nosedive after Pigpen dies.

The mid-to-late-'70s version of the band had husband and wife team Keith and Donna Jean Godchaux on piano and vocals. Keith sounded great on the piano. He was a second lead to Garcia's guitar.

The sweet spot (for me) is the Europe '72 tour that featured Pigpen and Keith + Donna. The Best of Both Worlds.

Garcia and Godchaux making beautiful music together on Dark Star, The Other One, and Morning Dew, and Pigpen belting out Good Lovin', Caution (Do No Stop On Tracks), and Mr. Charlie.

The 22 shows they played on the Europe '72 tour (Pigpen's last) were all recorded to multi-track, so they also happen to sound fantastic.

As I've said many times in this thread, I'm not a Deadhead and I doubt I ever will be, despite giving it several chances.

But I'm fascinated by the history and lore and mythology of this band and their fans.

Good stuff JB....keep it coming!

So, sometimes I listen to "on this date"

I usually pick the oldest show I can find for that date.

Well, this week I discovered 8/21 and 8/22 1968 at the Fillmore West in San Francisco.

These might be the Holy Grail of Dead shows. There is a third show 8-23-68, but there are no recordings of it in circulation.

Anyway, they are HOT AF.

The video I posted from YouTube is from a few days later. Nothing on YouTube from 8/21 and 8/22

Carry on :dead:

Hey JB do you know the band Circles Around The Sun? They have a record called Interludes For The Dead. If you like the Dead you'll probably like them too. 

4 hours ago, JeanGenie said:

Hey JB do you know the band Circles Around The Sun? They have a record called Interludes For The Dead. If you like the Dead you'll probably like them too. 

That album is awesome! I listen to it all the time :)

On 8/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, John Bonham said:

So, sometimes I listen to "on this date"

I usually pick the oldest show I can find for that date.

Well, this week I discovered 8/21 and 8/22 1968 at the Fillmore West in San Francisco.

These might be the Holy Grail of Dead shows. There is a third show 8-23-68, but there are no recordings of it in circulation.

Anyway, they are HOT AF.

The video I posted from YouTube is from a few days later. Nothing on YouTube from 8/21 and 8/22

Carry on :dead:

Brother, I have a friend who is a "deadhead" deluxe.  Was drafting fantasy football teams tonight and asked him about 8-23-68.  He says it wasn't at the Fillmore, as they moved down to LA that night.  Dunno, but he's sharp.  Here is a link to the 8-23-68 recording, he says some of it is whack.  Just trying to help a brother out, sorry for clogging the thread.  8-23-1968:  http://archive.org/details/gd68-08-23.sbd.sacks.52.sbefail.shnf

16 hours ago, John Bonham said:

That album is awesome! I listen to it all the time :)

I discovered them on Youtube not long ago. They have recently released a new record which I havent heard yet. 

I am just at the beginning of my GD journey. I like the extended jams and guitar solos. But I havent figured out yet which songs I should check out. I know Dark Star is the holy grail for Dead Heads but tbh I am underwhelmed.  

I’ve got or had a GD best of on my mac untill the processor died. Rip. 

Truckin’ is the ultimate driving song. 

On 4/29/2019 at 5:31 AM, Salsh Borski said:

I don’t know a whole lot of their stuff, what is essential listening in their catalogue?

Live/Dead (1969)

Europe '72