Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

JB's Grateful Dead corner

This is Grateful Dead feat. Allman Bros. "Turn On Your Love Light" from the legendary Feb. 1970 run (2/11/70) at the Fillmore East in New York, NY

This is the Dead's final jam at the Fillmore East, NY, NY Apr. 29, 1971

The jam segment is like a crash course in Grateful Dead. They tease and jam all their great themes from 1967 to 1971 in one little 10-minute jam.

It even hints at what's to come in the future.

This was also the final time they ever played the song Alligator.

Le Zenith, Paris, France - May 3, 1972

The essential version of China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider immortalized on the Europe '72 album.

"Just Exactly Perfect"

Moving on to 1973...

Pippen died in March, and the Dead moved away from Blues and into a jazzy period.

Here is Dark Star, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, and the Weather Report Suite from the November of 1973.

The Dead "retired" from the road after those shows, and re-emerged five months later with a 9-piece jazz fusion lunatic unit (2 drummers, 3 keyboard players, 2 guitars, bass, and a vocalist) on March 23, 1975.

They unleased this 35-minute instrumental monster of new music at a benefit concert in San Fran, and then they encored with Johnny B. Goode.

1976 isn't my favorite Grateful Dead year, so I'm not really an expert on it.

They returned from their hiatus in June '76, with a 7-member lineup (2 guitar, 2 drummers, bass, keys, and vocalist), and played multi-night runs in theaters. The recordings are heavy on the vocals and keys. The songs are played slow. They introduced a dozen or so new songs, and brought back a bunch that they hadn't played since 1970. Above are some popular videos from YouTube.

In 1977, they kicked it up a notch.

The band moved to arenas and was playing like a well-oiled machine.

Any show from 1977 is worth a listen - these are great tapes for newbies, because they rock, they band is rehearsed, the vocals sound good, and they play all the favorites.

Above is the Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain from Barton Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY - May 8, 1977.

Definitely The Best version of Scarlet > Fire ever, and arguably one of the best Dead shows ever.

Some shows from 1977 to check out:

2/26/1977

3/18/1977

5/8/1977

6/9/1977

9/3/1977

10/29/1977

12/30/1977

By 1978, the Grateful Dead had begun to go to seed.

Hard drugs were taking their toll.

Jerry's vocals were ragged.

The pace of the songs was quite slow, and the entire band just sounds dead tired from 10+ years of hard partying.

In September of the year, they played shows at the base of the Great Pyramid and Sphinx in Gizeh, Egypt.

There are still good shows in 1978, but you've got to poke around more to find them.

Here is a great show from McArthur Court, in Eugene, Oregon - Jan. 22, 1978

Theme from Close Encounters of the Third Kind > Saint Stephen.

In 1979, the Dead kicked Keith and Donna (piano, vocals) out of the band and brought in new guy Brent Mydland.

Brent had a raspy vocal, played a Hammond B3 organ and came from a blues and soul background.

He brought back a bit of the Pigpen energy to the band.

Brent also brought them into the future with synthesizers and midi technology, the Dead could now get really electrically weird (again).

Brent played in the band for part of 3 decades, the '70s, the '80s and the '90s.

He was in the band from April 1979 until his death in July 1990.

This was, by far, the longest period with no lineup changes in Grateful Dead history.

The show above is from the legendary 1979 New Years run in Oakland (Dec 26-31).

All 5 shows are really good.

In 1980, the Dead celebrated 15 years by doing three-set (acoustic, electric, electric) shows like they did 10 years earlier in 1970 when they were touring with the New Riders of the Purple Sage.

They did a 15-show residency at the Warfield theater in San Francisco, 2 shows in New Orleans at the Saenger, and then wrapped it up with an 8-night residencey at Radio City Music Hall in New York, NY. These shows were recorded and released as 2 seperate albums the acoustic Reckoning , and the electric Dead Set. These were the last 2 albums the Dead ever put out until the Touch of Grey record (In the Dark) in 1987.

Above is the Halloween show acoustic set from Radio City Music Hall.

Jerry shoulda lifted weights.

Yep. These are the "Fat Garica" years.

12/31/82 Oakland was one of the last, great shows.

They played forever and did a 3rd set with Etta James and the Tower of Power horns.

they revived a couple of old Pigpen tunes as they headed into 1983.

Set 3: Turn On Your Love Light, Tell Mama, Baby What You Want Me To Do, Hard To Handle, In The Midnight Hour

Jerry Garcia singing "Althea" at the Hartford, Connecticut Civic Center 10/14/1983

This (according to YouTube comments) was Trey Anastasio (Phish, Fare Thee Well)'s first Dead show. :thumbsup:

Grateful Dead at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, California 7/13/1984

"Friday the 13th in Berserkeley"

I: Bertha, Greatest Story Ever Told, Dire Wolf, C.C. Rider, Loser, Cassidy, Dupree's Diamond Blues, Hell in a Bucket, Might As Well

II: Scarlet Begonias > Touch of Grey > Fire on the Mountain, Man Smart, Woman Smarter > Drums > Space > The Wheel > I Need A Miracle > Stella Blue > Sugar Magnolia

*Dark Star

JB have you read many books about the Dead?

I just finished Bill Kreutzmann's book, and I read Rock Scully's Living with the Dead (highly recommended) last year.

I'm eager to get through the '80s here because they are not my favorite Grateful Dead-era.

Here is my faborite 1987 show - September 18 - The Dead's "return" to Madison Square Garden.

09/18/87

Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY

Set 1: Hell In A Bucket, Sugaree, Walkin' Blues, Candyman, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Bird Song

Set 2: Shakedown Street, Man Smart, Woman Smarter, Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > All Along The Watchtower > Morning Dew > Good Lovin' > La Bamba >Good Lovin'

Encore: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

JB, would you mind putting together a little background narrative telling us why you love these guys so much? I can never get past how it sounds like I'm back in boarding school and I'm walking past the hippies' room-- or into the hippies' rooms if I'm out of weed.

How did you get into them? What do you love about them? Why are you still into them?

:)