Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

JB's Grateful Dead corner

I have very little knowledge of the Dead.

Kids in my high school enjoying going to see them a few times a year, and everyone loved the Dancing Bears and the skull/lightning logo. Then Jerry died the summer before my senior year. Sad day for a lot of stoner kids at school.

I remembered "Touch of Grey" and "Fire on the Mountain." I was aware of a song called "Dark Star" but never actually listened to it all the way through, but I thought it was cool that they put together a version on CD that was edited from like hundreds of different performances into one definitive live version. I also thought it was cool as shit that they were selling "official" bootlegs back in the mid-90s before anyone else was doing it.

My first real exposure was the cover of "Ripple" by Jane's Addiction which I think smokes the original. I also came to know Uncle John's Band, cause that summer I worked at an amusement park where every fifteen minutes I'd be subjected to Jimmy Buffet's cover of it over the PA system.

(Some woman actually filed a complaint cause he says "goddamn" in the song and her kids had to hear it...the horror! The Indigo Girls pussed out (pun intended) with their cover by singing "sister" instead of "goddamn"....hmph. Religious lesbians...go figure.)

Eventually I head the original version of "Uncle John's Band" and I was shocked that I already knew all the words cause I heard the Buffet version so many times. The Dead version was WAAAY better. i still like it to this day.

And I remember smoking some weed and trying to get into it to see what everyone was all excited about, but like Phish, it still never did much for me.

Although there is one Dead concert I've looked for in vain online.....it was probably from the 70s. It was all pro-shot and I used to catch it on PBS of all places. I just remember watching it, all stoned as fuck, and all the closeups of the band members and they had this glassy eyed look and their pupils were like saucers...just huge...they were high as FUCK. And I liked that...cause I was high and they were high and it was all good. Any idea what concert I'm talking about? Considering how many concerts they had...that's like finding a needle in a haystack.

My last attempt to appreciate the Dead was when I rewatched Freaks and Geeks and Lindsay gets into their one album and it "changes her life." So I downloaded it, listened to it straight through...did nothing for me. Guess I needed to be high.

Still, I have fond memories of seeing so many kids in my high school in the mid-90s wearing tie-died Greatful Dead shirts. Seems like so long ago, doesn't it?

Although there is one Dead concert I've looked for in vain online.....it was probably from the 70s. It was all pro-shot and I used to catch it on PBS of all places. I just remember watching it, all stoned as fuck, and all the closeups of the band members and they had this glassy eyed look and their pupils were like saucers...just huge...they were high as FUCK. And I liked that...cause I was high and they were high and it was all good. Any idea what concert I'm talking about? Considering how many concerts they had...that's like finding a needle in a haystack.

They used to show 'Dead Ahead' on PBS if I remember correctly. That's the one were the comedians Al Franken and Tom Davis open up for them.

Bonham got me into Live/Dead a few years back when I was dropping acid and smoking frequently. I need to spin that album again. I remember I used to get real chopped and play Kart listening to it in college.

How about some later shows? This one started it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cClVltrcWG8

Also, JB, a question to you as a resident Grateful expert. Was it a good show to start with? I've read a lot about how Jerry was on his last legs during that tour, but there is just that something special that captured me. What do you say?

Also, JB, a question to you as a resident Grateful expert. Was it a good show to start with? I've read a lot about how Jerry was on his last legs during that tour, but there is just that something special that captured me. What do you say?

I was also at that show, and remember it being very good -- one of the better shows that year. The Knickerbocker arena was a great room, and the throwdown outside in downtown Albany was always very very fun.

i have never listened to the Grateful Dead,what is their best album?i need some new bands to listen to :book:

They have so many albums -- it's hard to choose.

A lot of them are out-of-print, and very expensive on eBay.

Here's a list of stuff that's cheap and easy to find:

Live/Dead (1969)

Workingman's Dead (1970)

Europe '72 (1972)

Dead Set (1980)

Fallout From the Phil Zone (1997)

Sunshine Daydream (2013)

Hi.

Just read an article, referring to this as the Grateful Dead's last great show:

5vtbgo.jpg

June 21, 1995 — Although they play only 14 songs, the Grateful Dead perform their last great show. At the Knickerbocker in Albany, the band gets their game on early with “Loser” and a delicate, 15-minute “Row, Jimmy.”

They open set two with a jaw-dropping 28-minute “Scarlet Begonias” > “Fire on the Mountain” before Jerry takes it home with a final, riveting “Morning Dew.”

This show was the Grateful Dead's version of Babe Ruth's last great game. On May 25, 1935, as a member of the Boston Braves, the 40-year-old Ruth added one more tale to his playing legend by going 4-for-4 and hitting three home runs against the Pirates in Pittsburgh. The Babe's final home run, both of the game and of his career, sailed over the upper deck in right field and out of the ballpark, the first time anyone had hit a fair ball completely out of Forbes Field. Five days later, the greatest baseball player ever played his final game, hanging up his spikes for eternity.

Before each set during the June 21 show, Vince Welnick tuned up on "Down in the Boondocks," written by Joe South ("Hush"), a Top Ten hit for American artist Billy Joe Royal in 1965.

The band played with a lot of fervor this night, one of the infrequent post-1992 shows where everything came together and stayed together.

There's an unusually long introduction to "Loser" (almost a full minute long). Jerry sings "Row, Jimmy" with a touch of melancholy in his voice. In set two, Garcia delivers an all-time (and 18-minute long) "Fire on the Mountain," at the end of which he adds some wild vocal improvisations. The "Morning Dew," the band's last ever, is 14 glorious minutes long, with a deliberate but even-keeled tempo. Appropriately, "U.S. Blues" is the encore on the first day of summer !!

Here is the June 21, 1995 show, courtesy of archive.org:

http://archive.org/…/gd1995-06-21.fob.schoeps.sisler.steph…

I think Jerry knew, at this point, that it was over for the Grateful Dead.

The scene outside was crushing, devastating, creating such negative energy that, in mid-1995, no other outcome was possible for the Dead.

Could it have gone on any longer ?

tumblr_ngqhjvqg6t1qefnayo1_500.jpg

Grateful Dead manager Rock Scully has passed away :(

Rock Scully crossed the great divide this morning. I got the call he was passing just as I was about to load up the car for a visit to Monterey to see him. Those of you lucky enough to have known him know that despite his human frailties, he was a loving, gentle, bright (actually brilliant), handsome, witty and especially charming rogue who brought people together, made them laugh and grow, and had a huge, generous heart.

Our fourteen year love affair felt like it was still in full swing when I spoke to him by phone in the hospital this morning. I could hear his labored breathing and his girl friend, Christina, assured me that he was responsive to my words.

His graciousness and generosity can be summed up in the words he said to me on the day back in the summer of ’69 that we knew for sure that we were in love—When I told him I was six weeks pregnant with my then separated husband, his response was, “You will be so beautiful!” Who could resist that statement at such a vulnerable moment.

He took on Spirit (Acacia) as if she were his own, and then gave me Sage, who will be having her second child, a boy, this coming March.

The years I spent with him, and through him, the Grateful Dead, were some of the most exciting times imaginable—from Woodstock to our farm in Forestville (now the California School of Herbal Studies) to Europe and Saturday Night Live, we were part of a weird kind of rock and roll royalty, and loved every moment of it. For six years we were the New Year’s skeletons, dancing on stage at midnight, often after being dropped from the ceiling tossing roses. We measured the success of a concert by how much our cheeks hurt from smiling, and those experiences set a bar that is rarely reached to this day. It was Rock’s ticket that took me to Egypt that first time in 1978.

My dear, beloved Rock, I wish you smooth, sweet travels in the next stage of your soul’s journey.

I'm going to post a chronological video series.

This is the one that started it all.

Morning Dew at the Human Be-In, Polo Fields, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA - Jan. 14, 1967.

This was the first time the Grateful Dead ever played Morning Dew, and supposedly it is the first time "it" really happened. Where the band and the entire audience locked-in on a psychic, spiritual, and psychedelic level.

After the Dead's set, the band and the audience walked together to the beach and splashed around in the sea until the Sun came up.

Living with the Dead

I thought Grateful Dead was jamtard hippy shit but my Uncle's memory (he disappeared for months at a time with Deadheads) inspired me to watch a documentary of the young rythym guitarist's history and it completely changed my perspective of the Dead. Too bad the late 80s and 90s warped their (my) perception.

Anyways. I'm still warming up to their jams, but I think this is fucking great:

I thought Grateful Dead was jamtard hippy shit but my Uncle's memory (he disappeared for months at a time with Deadheads) inspired me to watch a documentary of the young rythym guitarist's history and it completely changed my perspective of the Dead. Too bad the late 80s and 90s warped their (my) perception.

Anyways. I'm still warming up to their jams, but I think this is fucking great:

That's a great era/great album. :heart:

This is Alligator/Caution from Feb 14, 1968 at the Carousel Ballroom in San Francisco. They were high on acid at this gig and at one point Phil Lesh the bass player, stops playing, Jerry Garcia gets angry and pushes Phil down a little flight of stairs to the stage.

Listening back to the tapes, they realized it was the hottest show of the run and the used it as the source tape for their second album Anthem of the Sun which was recorded live with a bunch of studio overdubs later.

This is from the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco, Feb 27th (mostly), 1969

In my opinion, not only the best Grateful Dead album, but the best live album ever.