Sign in to follow this  
EstrangedTWAT

Graphic Novel Required Reading List

Please disregard any praise I gave to "Mister Miracle" by DC Comics.

It started off great but the last half of the 12 issue maxi series got worse and worse.   Final issue came out a few hours ago and if you do read it I implore you to download it for free and not support this garbage.

One of the sharpest declines of quality I've seen in my several years of reading comic books.   Just a worthless, non-sensical story with no pay-off and unlikable characters and in the end a giant middle finger to the people that shelled out $4 bucks a month for 12 issues to get essentially nothing in return.

Having said that, the art was always good and consistent but that matters little compared to how shit the story was.  Read it for free if you're curious but don't support DC or writer Tom King with your hard earned money for this utter garbage.

Just read the first 90 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Writer Brian Michael Bendis is a competent craftsman.

He knows how to keep the reader engaged, and turning pages.

The Brian Michael Bendis (writer) and Mark Bagley (art) partnership of 111 consecutive Ultimate Spider-Man issues makes their partnership one of the longest in American comic book history, and the longest run by a Marvel creative team, beating out Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on Fantastic Four.

Damn, did Bagley actually do ALL of those issues?  Surely he had some fill in artists here and there.

Actually, that was the main reason I never read the series:  I have always hated Bagley's art.  He got his start by winning some fan art contest, and to me, he never got much further than that amateur level.  Yes, I know he did some big runs on Spidey, Venom, Thunderbolts, etc.  But I just hate his art.  It looks sloppy, lazy, poorly proportioned, and just plain AMATEUR.  He never improved!

Remember those awesome Marvel Comics trading cards from the early 90s?  I had the first three or four complete sets.  I hated Bagley's cards.  They sucked.  Some of the art was by Art Adams.   So you'd see stuff like this:

DgJ_-wFU0AA5LBG.jpg

10377604_10204508404008096_8348231833473

And then you'd get a Bagley card like this:

88517a68668f1bb59a2f338e91f09b39.jpg

Come on!!  Bagley is shit!!

23 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Damn, did Bagley actually do ALL of those issues?  Surely he had some fill in artists here and there.

Actually, that was the main reason I never read the series:  I have always hated Bagley's art.  He got his start by winning some fan art contest, and to me, he never got much further than that amateur level.  Yes, I know he did some big runs on Spidey, Venom, Thunderbolts, etc.  But I just hate his art.  It looks sloppy, lazy, poorly proportioned, and just plain AMATEUR.  He never improved!

Remember those awesome Marvel Comics trading cards from the early 90s?  I had the first three or four complete sets.  I hated Bagley's cards.  They sucked.  Some of the art was by Art Adams.   So you'd see stuff like this:

DgJ_-wFU0AA5LBG.jpg

10377604_10204508404008096_8348231833473

And then you'd get a Bagley card like this:

88517a68668f1bb59a2f338e91f09b39.jpg

Come on!!  Bagley is shit!!

No fill-in artists.

Yes, Bagley drew all those issues.

I think his style works well for Ultimate Spider-Man. Cartoonish, like Dan Jurgens, but better IMO.

I don't think i have really seen any of his other work.

It's early April, and that always reminds me of "Elektra Lives Again" by Frank Miller.

Unfortunately, the story is very muddled and confusing.  The plot really doesn't make a lot of sense.  But it's still one of my favorite books of all time because of the ART.   Hands down, this is the finest art by Frank Miller ever published.  And of course Lynn Varley doing all the hand-painted colors just completes it.  A staggering work of beauty.

I just sat down and re-read it again, and noticed that the dates line up perfectly this year.  Crazy.  It was published in 1990, but the dates actually correlate to 1991, which also just happens to line up with 2019.  What a fun coincidence.

Here are all the pages that mention the date.   Just savor that insanely detailed Frank Miller art colored to perfection by Lynn Varley.  This was their absolute peak.  No other work ever came close, or ever will again.

mEkWUD2.jpg

sDN8zQy.jpg

SHfSg01.jpg

NE2n6TE.jpg

z0UggD6.jpg

AwDQ50j.jpg

3thRIyc.jpg

22 hours ago, John Bonham said:

@EstrangedTWAT Todd McFarlane just revealed that he inked parts of The Dark Knight Returns 

Man, that's pretty nuts!  Sure, it was probably just filling in blacks in the backgrounds, but it's pretty amazing that a future superstar even had a hand in the book in any way.  (Too bad Batman/Spawn was and still is a giant piece of garbage.)

Another unusual credit I always noticed in Dark Knight is a guy named Flint Dille.  He didn't work in regular comics, but he wrote episodes of the GI Joe and Transformers cartoons.  I think he even has writing credit for Transformers: The Movie.  I guess he's the son or grandson of the guy that originally created and few Buck Rogers.

Back in New York in the 80s, they used to hang out and bounce ideas off each other.  I love the fact that Frank Miller might have had some influence on Transformers: The Movie and vice versa.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:46 PM, Damn_Smooth said:

The Immortal Hulk is the best thing I've read in quite some time. You should look into it when it gets collected.

They mention the "gun lobby" on like page 3. I would've thought you'd burn it.

5 minutes ago, magisme said:

They mention the "gun lobby" on like page 3. I would've thought you'd burn it.

Comic books have had social justice undertones since the very beginning. Long before the libtards went crazy with it. I wouldn't be a fan of them at all if I couldn't accept that. When Hulk himself starts preaching about gun violence and stops ripping people apart and trapping them under mountains, I'll draw the line.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:54 AM, Damn_Smooth said:

Comic books have had social justice undertones since the very beginning. Long before the libtards went crazy with it. I wouldn't be a fan of them at all if I couldn't accept that. When Hulk himself starts preaching about gun violence and stops ripping people apart and trapping them under mountains, I'll draw the line.

:lol:

20190422_164336~2.jpg

20190422_164357~2.jpg

20190422_164418~2.jpg

15 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

20190422_164336~2.jpg

20190422_164357~2.jpg

20190422_164418~2.jpg

:lol: Where in the hell did you find that? I have to agree with him though. Second hand smoke is an NAP violation.

26 minutes ago, Damn_Smooth said:

:lol: Where in the hell did you find that? I have to agree with him though. Second hand smoke is an NAP violation.

That is from Marvel's Strange Tales collection where "underground" and "indie" cartoonists put their spin on the Marvel universe. Peter Bagge's Hulk and Spider-Man stories are pretty funny. I am big fan of P. Bagge

5 hours ago, John Bonham said:

That is from Marvel's Strange Tales collection where "underground" and "indie" cartoonists put their spin on the Marvel universe. Peter Bagge's Hulk and Spider-Man stories are pretty funny. I am big fan of P. Bagge

I'll have to track that down.

"Graphic novel" is just a fancy name for a comic book.  It's an attempt to re-define it for an older audience so it sounds less silly.

It's the same as "action figures."   They're just dolls.  They've always been dolls.  But by calling them "action figures" little boys aren't embarrassed to play with them.

In general though, we think of graphic novels as telling a complete story, or at least a big chapter of an ongoing story.   I haven't read Spider-Man Noir, but I'm pretty sure it was a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end...so yes, it's a graphic novel.   And it's a comic book.

I hope you enjoy it, and welcome to the wonderful world of comic books!  There are some absolute masterpieces out there to read and enjoy, and there's also mountains of shit to avoid....just like movies and TV and music.   You have some works that are staggeringly brilliant, and the majority of it is utter crap.

1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

You have some works that are staggeringly brilliant, and the majority of it is utter crap

So very true. 

For the brilliant stuff, check out page one of this thread

Yes, I'm admitting that I'm such a homo that this simple and sweet one page Spider-Man comic from the otherwise execrable Marvel 1000 actually made me a little misty eyed.   So I like dick, gimme a break.

U9JbGFx.jpg

7 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Yes, I'm admitting that I'm such a homo that this simple and sweet one page Spider-Man comic from the otherwise execrable Marvel 1000 actually made me a little misty eyed.   So I like dick, gimme a break.

U9JbGFx.jpg

Oh man, that's sweet