Sign in to follow this  
EstrangedTWAT

Graphic Novel Required Reading List

Looking forward to Immortal Hulk and enjoying his return in the current Avengers storyline. The current Thanos series is a must read, espescially when they collect the Thanos Wins storyline for you graphic novel readers,  but I consider the same to be true about every Thanos story ever written. Spider-Man/Deadpool is hilarious. Boycotting reading DC until they offer a service like Marvel Unlimited, which is stupid because I still buy their books. I'm sure teaching them a thing or two about a thing or two. Really want to read Dark Knights: Metal and Doomsday Clock though. Not a fan of Bendis at all, so his takeover of Superman and fagging him up is something I'm definitely not looking forward to.

1 hour ago, Damn_Smooth said:

Looking forward to Immortal Hulk and enjoying his return in the current Avengers storyline. The current Thanos series is a must read, espescially when they collect the Thanos Wins storyline for you graphic novel readers,  but I consider the same to be true about every Thanos story ever written. Spider-Man/Deadpool is hilarious. Boycotting reading DC until they offer a service like Marvel Unlimited, which is stupid because I still buy their books. I'm sure teaching them a thing or two about a thing or two. Really want to read Dark Knights: Metal and Doomsday Clock though. Not a fan of Bendis at all, so his takeover of Superman and fagging him up is something I'm definitely not looking forward to.

Yes, I can't wait until Doomsday Clock gets a collected edition, will borrow from the library.

I read the first issue of Thanos Wins and I'm usually not a Thanos/Galactus/Cosmic Marvel fan.....but damn that was a DOPE issue.  Gonna read em all.

The current Mister Miracle 12 issue maxi from DC is also very very good.

Just finished "Thanos Wins," which will certainly be printed as a paperback but it's issues 13-18 of the current Thanos series in individual books.

It was a tad predictable, honestly.  As someone whose read untold thousands of comic books over the last 30 years I've pretty much seen it all before.  But the writer used a Neil Gaimen-esque narrative style that was a delight to read, so I definitely recommend it.

Mister Miracle is also good, but feels a bit plodding...I hope there's some kind of pay off at the end.

Starting up Walking Dead again. I have all 3 compendiums but only made it to first 20 pages first go round.

Not sure if it counts as a true graphic novel.

Sure it is.  Any sequential art counts as a graphic novel....that was just a term they made up to sell comic books to adults.  Same as calling dolls "action figures."

As for Walking Dead, it's not my thing at all.  I never liked zombie stories in any form.  And it really turns me off that it's been going over 10 years or so and Kirkman says he has no plans to ever end it.  I like stories with a beginning and an end.

I thought a graphic novel was like the name, a novel spliced with comic drawings every few pages, like Sin City.  I learn something every day.

On 8/20/2014 at 12:51 PM, EstrangedTWAT said:

8: Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (the only Batman stories you'll ever need to read)

nah

The Long Halloween and Arkham Asylum are both incredible batbooks

Other goodies

1. Dark Victory
  2. The Man Who Laughs
  3. A Lonely Place of Dying
  4. Birth of the Demon
  5. Prey

All worth checking out and I'd put em above stuff like No Mans Land, A Death In the Family, and so on

i hate superman and find the gimmicky stuff boring. would rather have a well told straight laced story to all sizzle no steak

9 hours ago, meatpuppet said:

I thought a graphic novel was like the name, a novel spliced with comic drawings every few pages, like Sin City.  I learn something every day.

A novel with pictures every few pages is.....just an illustrated novel.

By the way, Sin City is a straight up comic book.  It has word balloons and everything.

Did I not include that on my list?
Mark Millar is one of the unsung heroes of the Marvel Movie Empire Juggernaut.

What he did with the Avengers in Utimates 1 and 2 was essentially a blueprint for all the best aspects of the movie.   It was so grand and cinematic is was practically a storyboard.  RDJ's Stark IS Millar's Stark.  I quite prefer the original comics, more than the movies.  The movies have the spectacle of seeing them in real life but the comics dug deeper into the characters and had some very fun twists and turns.

Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men is also a masterpiece.  Logan's character is shady as hell and I love that take.

x5e5JYJ.jpg

Pulled the "robbery" on the (underaged) Jean Grey right from under Cyclops's nose.   He played asshole game and it worked.  Next scene is the two of them in a hotel bed together.  Eventually he got his comeuppance, but there's no way this storyline could get printed at Today's SJW Marvel.

Early 2000s comics were a breath of fresh air.  I rarely read the shit they churn out now.

3 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Did I not include that on my list?
Mark Millar is one of the unsung heroes of the Marvel Movie Empire Juggernaut.

What he did with the Avengers in Utimates 1 and 2 was essentially a blueprint for all the best aspects of the movie.   It was so grand and cinematic is was practically a storyboard.  RDJ's Stark IS Millar's Stark.  I quite prefer the original comics, more than the movies.  The movies have the spectacle of seeing them in real life but the comics dug deeper into the characters and had some very fun twists and turns.

Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men is also a masterpiece.  Logan's character is shady as hell and I love that take.

x5e5JYJ.jpg

Pulled the "robbery" on the (underaged) Jean Grey right from under Cyclops's nose.   He played asshole game and it worked.  Next scene is the two of them in a hotel bed together.  Eventually he got his comeuppance, but there's no way this storyline could get printed at Today's SJW Marvel.

Early 2000s comics were a breath of fresh air.  I rarely read the shit they churn out now.

I consider Millar's Old Man Logan graphic novel to be the true sequel to Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

Just so much fun to read.

Have you read SAGA by Brian K. Vaughan?

I read the first 8 volumes of that recently, and the characters are great.

SAGA.

I've on board for every single issue.  Sometime in the last year or so, the SJW agenda which was always there, but I felt in fair and measured doses, took front and center with that tranny character.

I've also lost a bit of interest cause like Kirkman, this thing is a cash cow and there's no end in sight.  Why not pander to more liberal LBGTQ+ types and sell books indefinitely?  Seems to be the plan.  It's been lousy the last year but there was a gem of an issue featuring my favorite character recently (The Will....toxic white male of course) so I'll still stick around and see if it pays off someday.

I absolutely adored Y:the last man and bought it monthly and read and re-read it.   BUT...it was a product of its time.  I haven't had a re-read in a few years and I know it's gonna seem dated as hell, not to mention the obvious feminism and stuff.  Still....I was younger and more open minded then.  I loved it...it was right up there with Preacher for me.

On 5/9/2018 at 4:47 AM, EstrangedTWAT said:

Sure it is.  Any sequential art counts as a graphic novel....that was just a term they made up to sell comic books to adults.  Same as calling dolls "action figures."

As for Walking Dead, it's not my thing at all.  I never liked zombie stories in any form.  And it really turns me off that it's been going over 10 years or so and Kirkman says he has no plans to ever end it.  I like stories with a beginning and an end.

Kirkman has always said that the walking dead will span 300 issues. 

He mentioned that again recently in the 150th issue.

The individual issues take about 5 minutes each to read.

Just sayin'

Can't believe I left "Miracleman" off my initial list.

Obviously everyone already knows about Watchmen, but Miracleman is probably just as good.  Almost.  It's really really good.  You've heard people praise how insanely good it is for years for a reason.  It lives up to the hype.

Just total bullshit that when Marvel finally brought it back in print a few years ago they censored the word "nigger."   The character that said it was black too.  They redacted ONE word but didn't have a problem with the graphic depiction of a baby coming out of a woman's vagina.  Why stop at words?  Why not black out the whole thing??  I hate censorship.

11 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Can't believe I left "Miracleman" off my initial list.

Obviously everyone already knows about Watchmen, but Miracleman is probably just as good.  Almost.  It's really really good.  You've heard people praise how insanely good it is for years for a reason.  It lives up to the hype.

Just total bullshit that when Marvel finally brought it back in print a few years ago they censored the word "nigger."   The character that said it was black too.  They redacted ONE word but didn't have a problem with the graphic depiction of a baby coming out of a woman's vagina.  Why stop at words?  Why not black out the whole thing??  I hate censorship.

Marvelman/Miracleman was great. ?️

I'm finally getting into TWD. Originally it was hard to be invested but now I just keep going. I will admit the show was more interesting and had better twists and arcs. I'm halfway through the first compendium volume.