Sign in to follow this  

Rank bands' discographies and argue about it

Yeah, that was Warner Brothers foisting Prince on to the movie, 100%.

I have the vinyl.  I'd walk around my house singing the songs, having no idea how insanely filthy they were.  I had all the singles too, and the b-sides were even filthier.  I was in 6th grade singing alone to "When 2 R in Love" and I had no idea what I was singing about.  "The thought of his tongue in the V of her love"

He expanded one song, Scandalous, into an extended remix EP called "The Scandalous Sex Suite."  That's an awesome album....pure baby-making music.

1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Yeah, that was Warner Brothers foisting Prince on to the movie, 100%.

I have the vinyl.  I'd walk around my house singing the songs, having no idea how insanely filthy they were.  I had all the singles too, and the b-sides were even filthier.  I was in 6th grade singing alone to "When 2 R in Love" and I had no idea what I was singing about.  "The thought of his tongue in the V of her love"

He expanded one song, Scandalous, into an extended remix EP called "The Scandalous Sex Suite."  That's an awesome album....pure baby-making music.

I think the reason many of his fans didn't like the soundtrack is because it was the one time that he was viewed as a sellout.  But it worked, 6 weeks at #1 on the charts brought him into a lot of homes that had previously shunned him because of his lyrics and reputation.  For that one album he was considered "family friendly".

Ha, did you also sing Scarlet Pussy? (b-side of I Wish U Heaven) :rofl-lol:

No, I still don't know that one.  But my jaw dropped when I was a few years older and re-listened to all the Batman songs, singles, and b-sides.

"My god....it's all about fucking!   All of it!!"

Darling Nikki, Prince and the Revolution, 1984

" I knew a girl named Nikki
I guess you could say she was a sex fiend
I met her in a hotel lobby
Masturbating with a magazine
"

Allegedly the song that started Tipper Gore's war on "x-rated" music.

(Prince kinda started sucking when he went all Jehovah's witness and refused to play all his filthy back catalog.)

Edited by EstrangedTWAT

And since this has become a Prince thread for some reason, let me post an all time historic event in the history of music:  first public performance of Purple Rain.  August 3, 1983.  This shit will even give haters goosebumps.   Just unreal.  Apologies if I've posted before.  Video seems to have been taken down but I saved the audio.  Damn.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1seX177qekl

Edited by EstrangedTWAT

7 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Darling Nikki, Prince and the Revolution, 1984

" I knew a girl named Nikki
I guess you could say she was a sex fiend
I met her in a hotel lobby
Masturbating with a magazine
"

Allegedly the song that started Tipper Gore's war on "x-rated" music.

(Prince kinda started sucking when he went all Jehovah's witness and refused to play all his filthy back catalog.)

Absolutely, and The Family Stone's bass player is to blame for converting him. 

Best period was definitely early 80's to early 90's.  Then when the emphasis became Tony M and NPG it all went to shit.

Funny thing about Darling Nikki, it was G-rated compared to his earlier music.  Ever heard the lyrics to "Sister" or "Let's Pretend We're Married"?

7 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

And since this has become a Prince thread for some reason, let me post an all time historic event in the history of music:  first public performance of Purple Rain.  August 3, 1983.  This shit will even give haters goosebumps.   Just unreal.  Apologies if I've posted before.  Video seems to have been taken down but I saved the audio.  Damn.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1seX177qekl

Great audio, thanks!  I'm glad he removed the original lyrics about money, it definitely didn't fit with the rest of the song.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend buying the Deluxe Expanded edition.  Great stuff, especially Disc Two and the Syracuse DVD.

Disc Two: From The Vault & Previously Unreleased 
1. The Dance Electric 
2. Love And Sex 
3. Computer Blue (“Hallway Speech” version) 
4. Electric Intercourse (studio) 
5. Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden 
6. Possessed (1983 version) 
7. Wonderful Ass 
8. Velvet Kitty Cat 
9. Katrina’s Paper Dolls 
10. We Can Fuck 
11. Father’s Song 

81X9xJbAIWL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by The Linguini Occurrence?

On 12/31/2018 at 7:53 AM, John Bonham said:

Pink Floyd

01 The Dark Side of the Moon
02 The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
03 Wish You Were Here
04 The Wall
05 Meddle
06 Ummagumma
07 Obscured By Clouds
08 Animals
09 The Final Cut
10 Atom Heart Mother
11 A Momentary Lapse of Reason
12 More
13 A Saucerful of Secrets
14 The Division Bell
15 The Endless River

I listen to Live at Pompeii regularly so I'm surprised to see it so far down but I haven't listened to the others yet. Makes me wonder.

4 minutes ago, meatpuppet said:

I listen to Live at Pompeii regularly so I'm surprised to see it so far down but I haven't listened to the others yet. Makes me wonder.

but Live at Pompeii isn't on that list...

8 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

but Live at Pompeii isn't on that list...

I thought A Saucerful of Secrets was one and the same. My bad. I'll do more research.

Just now, meatpuppet said:

I thought A Saucerful of Secrets was one and the same. My bad. I'll do more research.

Live at Pompeii is awesome awesome awesome, but i didn't know it was released as an album

My brother is as big a Floyd fanatic as I am GNR....and we shared a bedroom throughout high school, so naturally I heard a lot of Floyd and he heard a lot of GNR.

I could never get into the long spacey jams though...just not my thing, even while high.  But he loves shit like "Echoes."

The Wall is a masterpiece I listen to straight through over and over.

Next I'd say I like Dark Side, and then Wish You Were Here......the others I just like random songs.  Hell, even Division Bell has a great track on it.  (High Hopes.)

One of my all time favorite songs is Pigs on the Wing, but only the version with a guitar solo by Snowy White that bridges the two songs into one complete song.  It was rare for a while, but I bet it's on youtube right now.

Also, I'd never heard the song "Free Four" until this summer when my brother introduced me to it, but now it's one of my favorites by them.

So albumwise, it's just The Wall, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here for me....but also some various random tunes.    Like Interstellar Overdrive.

3 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

My brother is as big a Floyd fanatic as I am GNR....and we shared a bedroom throughout high school, so naturally I heard a lot of Floyd and he heard a lot of GNR.

I could never get into the long spacey jams though...just not my thing, even while high.  But he loves shit like "Echoes."

The Wall is a masterpiece I listen to straight through over and over.

Next I'd say I like Dark Side, and then Wish You Were Here......the others I just like random songs.  Hell, even Division Bell has a great track on it.  (High Hopes.)

One of my all time favorite songs is Pigs on the Wing, but only the version with a guitar solo by Snowy White that bridges the two songs into one complete song.  It was rare for a while, but I bet it's on youtube right now.

Also, I'd never heard the song "Free Four" until this summer when my brother introduced me to it, but now it's one of my favorites by them.

So albumwise, it's just The Wall, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here for me....but also some various random tunes.    Like Interstellar Overdrive.

The memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime... 🎹

YES!

I broke my wrist a few years ago when I was still drinking...had a drunken fall and needed a piece of metal to hold my bones together.  So I have this giant scar on my left wrist that looks like I tried to kill myself.

Last summer, my brother at age 41, broke his foot while at some trampoline land on vacation with his family in California.  He had a good sense of humor about it...just like...fuck it, shit happens, not gonna let it ruin my vacation.

Anyway, now he has a similar long ass scar on his foot.  So we both have permanent reminders of our stupidity...breaking bones when we weren't even teenagers.

I suggested we get matching tattoos on our scars.  He wanted them to be lines from "Free Four."  I would get “Life is a short, warm moment And death is a long cold rest.”   Can't remember what line he would get though.

But it's a bad plan.  He can hide his foot and nobody would ever see it.  But mine's on my damn wrist!!  And tats are still mostly a taboo in Japan, so I don't think we'll do it.  Well.  Maybe when we're older.

We're already made a pact to get together in our 70s and do DMT and drop acid and have all the vision quests we were too scared to take while young.  At 70, who gives a fuck?   May as well get the tats then too.

On 1/13/2019 at 6:52 AM, Doctor Dom said:

Indeed.

Dude must have some cash to splash!

Always forget that Terry Chimes played for Iommi/Sabbath...the Sun City gig 86 if I know my Sabbath.

5 hours ago, John Bonham said:

The Velvet Underground & Nico

The Velvet Underground

Loaded

White Light/White Heat

I want to argue....but I can't. I would rank em the same way