I read books thread.

I love classic literature though. Most people of my age doesn’t even know the titles of these:

Victor Hugo “Les Miserables”

Charles Dickens “Oliver Twist”

Liam O’Flaherty “Famine”

Anton Hansen Tammsaare “Truth And Justice” - classic from my own country

Charles Dickens “David Copperfield”

George Orwell “Animal Farm”

William Golding “Lord Of The Flies”

and many more. Can’t really stand 21st century literature, 19th-early 20th century is mostly great

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am reading Treasure Island. 

http://www.elsevier.com/books/salami/feiner/978-0-12-809598-0

Readin a book called Why We Sleep. Makes a strong case for getting at least 8 hours a night.

On 1/22/2013 at 8:57 AM, arnold layne said:

I prefer books over movies.

Sometimes you will read a book that changes your perspective on everything. That's why I love the classics. They're classics for a reason. Right now I am reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and man, it really hits you. It is so fucked up.

movie ain't bad either

• 1 month later...

I finished my 11/22/63 a while ago and I liked it a lot. I am now reading the Shining. I just started buying the paperback or hardcover for books I want because reading them on my laptop hurts my eyes and I get distracted too much. The Shining book I brought also has Salem’s Lot and Carrie in it so I suppose I will read those next.

• 3 weeks later...

Listened to an audio version of Good Morning, Monster: A Therapist Shares Five Heroic Stories of Emotional Recovery by Catherine Gildiner. This was as dark as it gets. Even though it was horrific and made me feel awful I couldn't stop listening to it. One of the best books I have come across in a while. If you think you have had things rough this will surely change your mind.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:30 AM, Jeff Isbell said:

Can’t really stand 21st century literature, 19th-early 20th century is mostly great

That's because, like everything, the publishing industry has become completely politicised and woke. 

Most classic books would never see the light of day now. They don't have the "right" message. Most of the people in the industry are either women or gay men or beta cucks. 

So forget anything that would appeal to most men. Not getting through unless it is from an established author too big to ignore. Or it has been self published and it's popularity means it can't be ignored by a publisher. 

Did you hear about Jordan Peterson's new book? Penguin had to hide that they were publishing it until the last minute because when it dropped their own fucking staff had meltdowns and started crying in the office and demanding they don't publish it. 

Burn it all down. 

2 minutes ago, President-Elect Pepe said:

That's because, like everything, the publishing industry has become completely politicised and woke. 

Most classic books would never see the light of day now. They don't have the "right" message. Most of the people in the industry are either women or gay men or beta cucks. 

So forget anything that would appeal to most men. Not getting through unless it is from an established author too big to ignore. Or it has been self published and it's popularity means it can't be ignored by a publisher. 

Did you hear about Jordan Peterson's new book? Penguin had to hide that they were publishing it until the last minute because when it dropped their own fucking staff had meltdowns and started crying in the office and demanding they don't publish it. 

Burn it all down. 

In my opinion, a book is a classic if it's still relevant after 50 years. Lots of books are rightfully classic and I barely read any material released in 90s or later.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Isbell said:

In my opinion, a book is a classic if it's still relevant after 50 years. Lots of books are rightfully classic and I barely read any material released in 90s or later.

Yes of course. But the absolute bilge that is being heralded as "a future classic" today is shocking. 

It's less and less about literature and writing and more and more about political messaging. 

The Booker prize is a good example of this. 

4 minutes ago, President-Elect Pepe said:

Yes of course. But the absolute bilge that is being heralded as "a future classic" today is shocking. 

It's less and less about literature and writing and more and more about political messaging. 

The Booker prize is a good example of this. 

At school I remember having to read classic books and retell them from memory about 4-8 years ago. Wasn't disappointed - one of the last excellent reads was "Crime and Punishment" by Russian author Feodor Dostoyevsky. I hated CITR by Salinger though, it felt boring.

1 minute ago, Jeff Isbell said:

I remember having to read classic books and retell them from memory about 4-8 years ago. Wasn't disappointed - one of the last excellent reads was "Crime and Punishment" by Russian author Feodor Dostoyevsky. I hated CITR by Salinger though, it felt boring.

Doestoyevsky is great. CITR is totally overrated. 

Just now, President-Elect Pepe said:

Doestoyevsky is great. CITR is totally overrated. 

I remember reading Animal Farm as a 12-year old kid back in 2012. Didn't really get the message back then, but about 3-4 years later it was pretty clear to me and I started to love that book even more. Nowadays I make shitloads of 1984 references as well while talking w older peers about what's going on currently.