Sign in to follow this  
arnold layne

I read books thread.

I prefer books over movies.

Sometimes you will read a book that changes your perspective on everything. That's why I love the classics. They're classics for a reason. Right now I am reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and man, it really hits you. It is so fucked up.

Right now reading pride and prejudice, woman warrior by Maxine Kingston, and Sula by Toni Morrison. Hate pride and prejudice, woman warrior is alright, Sula is brilliant.

Also I just finished up Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger before the semester started. Loved it. Think you would like it Nate.

I don't have time for books anymore like I did when I was in high school. I don't have time for movies either. My aunt sends me 4-5 books every year for Christmas over the past decade. I don't think I've read a single one.

I love books. Last week at a book store I started to read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde and I really liked what I read. I'm thinking about buying it. Anyone ever read it?

There aren't many books that are able to change your perspectives about everything, that can even change your life.

This is one of them.

The_Society_of_the_Spectacle.jpg

Guy Debord, The Society of the spectacle

The Das Kapital of the 20th century. An essential text, and the main theoretical work of the situationists. Few works of political and cultural theory have been as enduringly provocative. From its publication amid the social upheavals of the 1960's up to the present, the volatile theses of this book have decisively transformed debates on the shape of modernity, capitalism, and everyday life in the late 20th century.

I love books. Last week at a book store I started to read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde and I really liked what I read. I'm thinking about buying it. Anyone ever read it?

Yep, Oscar Wilde is great and I really enjoyed 'Dorian Gray'. The writers of that period were far more articulate than even the best contemporary writers. it's quite addictive when you get into it.

Charles Dickens is my all time favourite. His characters are beautifully crafted and he brings to life a period of time (Industrial Revolution) which was otherwise a bit of a mystery for me.

Yep, Oscar Wilde is great and I really enjoyed 'Dorian Gray'. The writers of that period were far more articulate than even the best contemporary writers. it's quite addictive when you get into it.

Charles Dickens is my all time favourite. His characters are beautifully crafted and he brings to life a period of time (Industrial Revolution) which was otherwise a bit of a mystery for me.

Not to budge in, but I just could'nt help myself.

I love old writers too, they have a great way of wording things, but their language has died out, more or less. What I think is sad, is that many of these authors are being hailed, although, should a contemporary write a litterary work in their vein, they would be ridiculed. You cannot write a new novel in old linguastics, and that makes it very hard to write and be articulate, as our language has gradually been rotting away, only to serve the practicality of a stressed out feeble mind.

I also notice that a lot of modern writers, who i.e. write in an older style or different style, gets torn down, while many of the olders receive massive appraisal, due to their name, as most has never read any of their work or "like" it, because thats what your supposed to do, when you read something a world-renown writer has done.

I am tired of biased opinion, people should critisize more, demand more, try more things, and last but not least, learn to embrace a great artist before they die. Something that has yet to be seen in this damned world.

It was just a voice of opinion and general comment, to being articulate and the old gardé, nothing against you two. :).

Good points CHITR, I agree that any contemporary writer would be ridiculed if they wrote in 19th century English. And as they should be really, because this is the 21st century and it just comes off as either pretentious, convoluted, try-hard or out of touch when they do. But I really think that the vocabulary of the average person in the 21st century English speaking world has diminished to a point that is a disgrace. If you read a Charles Dickens book, even a 'poor uneducated' character in his books will have a better vocabulary than most well educated people today. And it's only going to get worse. My teenage niece and nephew probably have a similar vocabulary comprehension as my dog. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

And being a lover of words and a writer its pretty discouraging.

1: You just pointed out that if you try writing with any merit or substance you will seem

pretentious, convoluted, try-hard or out of touch when they do.
- Which is sad, because there is no alternative - Be a dumbass or be pretentious.

2: The vocabulary is in the shitter and even if you wrote words of scholars, you would lose all touch as readers don't understand anything.

Conclusion: We're all fucked - You can't write good without being a pretentious dick, you can't write simplified because then you are part of the problem and part of the de-evolution we are facing in modern time.

So, how to write ancient in modern, (could be a self-help book that would sell millions), its actually interesting - Either you invent something new (Shakespear (Who was shakespear btw)/hunter s. thompson) or you learn how to apply the old in a modern form.

Interesting. Nice reply Red, though it still is pretty fucking discouraging when trying to write something relevant, modern, elegant yet real.