deepfreeze

What are your thoughts on the Homeless?

I don't really think about them actually. I don't know what can be done to help. I guess I should care. We had a guy in my home town that was famous for being homeless. He refused to take his medication (he used to be sane with a family and job, my father knew him). As far as I know he still lives that life (he also successfully traveled to the city 80 miles away with his shopping cart on foot.)

More recently, (as in 8 years ago), I remember this old Asian lady at South Station in Boston asking the passers by for money one time. I didn't give any. I gave $5 to a guy in a motorized wheel chair once though (that was like 4 years ago). I don't know if he was homeless or not.

It's cold outside right now. I can't imagine living out there in a tent or car or something.

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change
The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange
He asks the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes
Get a job you fuckin' slob's all he replied

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues
Then you really might know what it's like

Eventhough I earn like a few hundred bucks a month with guitar lessons and stuff and I don't have a job, I very often give a few bucks to some of the homeless people when I come across them. It always saddens me to see how few people actually care for others. Everyone is always rambling on about being social but when they see a homeless person, they don't give a fuck about them.

In Seattle a lot of the panhandlers make about 20 grand a year, that's why the city charges for a street performer permit. And yes, I feel for homeless people, I don't know the conditions which led to them being homeless, but the amount of homeless that just get loaded with every penny given to them ruins it for the decent folk fallen on hard times. So many stories of people trying to buy a homeless person a sandwich and getting told to fuck off.

In Seattle a lot of the panhandlers make about 20 grand a year, that's why the city charges for a street performer permit. And yes, I feel for homeless people, I don't know the conditions which led to them being homeless, but the amount of homeless that just get loaded with every penny given to them ruins it for the decent folk fallen on hard times. So many stories of people trying to buy a homeless person a sandwich and getting told to fuck off.

Just think about how you like to drink when you're bummed out. They are depressed everyday being homeless. I don't blame them for wanting to get fucked up everyday.

Just think about how you like to drink when you're bummed out. They are depressed everyday being homeless. I don't blame them for wanting to get fucked up everyday.

Oh I can relate on that front, I just wont feel guilty when someone says "they're starving!" If given the choice between life giving sustinence and booze I'd pick..actually I just confused myself.

Oh I can relate on that front, I just wont feel guilty when someone says "they're starving!" If given the choice between life giving sustinence and booze I'd pick..actually I just confused myself.

Haha! I would want both! :awesome:

sadly all governments tend to make 99% of people homeless... so all we need to do is crash down governments :whistleing:

e viva Anonymous :CoolFace:

did u know that the word government cums out latin words that mean mind control? :thumbsdown: nice crap... :max:

Fortunately that is not true.

You know it's funny.

They say when it rains, it pours…

They've got money for wars but can't feed the poor…

I feel bad for homeless people. You might say they're a bunch of deadbeat alcoholics, but you'd be one too if you were homeless. Society isn't too kind to those who don't have much.

i feel bad for the homeless. when i was a kid there was a homeless guy that would stand by the convenience store not far from my house. when my dad would go to the store he would shoot the shit with the guy, give him some cigarettes and usually buy him a grinder if he had enough money or he would always buy him a beer or a soda.

he was a nice guy but had a bad drug problem. he lived in a blue tarp in the woods by a set of railroad tracks about 3 miles behind my house. we would bring him thanksgiving dinner and christmas dinner. its just in this day and age of america we should not have people living like this IMO.

last i heard of the guy is he went to county jail. some punks went into his tarp and stole quite a few of his belonging as well as smashing some of his stuff. he returned and found them doing this and he threw a brick at them. at least in the jail he was able to get 3 meals a day and had a bed and heat.

Edited by bran

i feel bad for the homeless. when i was a kid there was a homeless guy that would stand by the convenience store not far from my house. when my dad would go to the store he would shoot the shit with the guy, give him some cigarettes and usually buy him a grinder if he had enough money or he would always buy him a beer or a soda.

he was a nice guy but had a bad drug problem. he lived in a blue tarp in the woods by a set of railroad tracks about 3 miles behind my house. we would bring him thanksgiving dinner and christmas dinner. its just in this day and age of america we should not have people living like this IMO.

last i heard of the guy is he went to county jail. some punks went into his tarp and stole quite a few of his belonging as well as smashing some of his stuff. he returned and found them doing this and he threw a brick at them. at least in the jail he was able to get 3 meals a day and had a bed and heat.

You are so right. You and your family are good people. A lot of respect for that.

I hung out with quite a few homeless when I was in the US. They all taught me two things; Be thankful for what you got and don't be so hard on yourself.

It was pretty incredible experience tbh., we don't have many homeless here, so hearing from and talking to them was pretty profound for me.

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change

The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange

He asks the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes

Get a job you fuckin' slob's all he replied

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes

'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues

Then you really might know what it's like

Eventhough I earn like a few hundred bucks a month with guitar lessons and stuff and I don't have a job, I very often give a few bucks to some of the homeless people when I come across them. It always saddens me to see how few people actually care for others. Everyone is always rambling on about being social but when they see a homeless person, they don't give a fuck about them.

I see your point, but do you know how I see it? To me it's like going to the Lost Dogs Home. I love animals yet I've never been to the Lost Dogs Home for fear that it would be too upsetting. I mean, how can you pick one dog over all the dogs? They all deserve love and care, yet how do you say I pick this one over that one and that one. It's just too heart breaking. I'll give a few bucks to a homeless person, especially if I can see that broken look in their eyes, but if I gave money to every homeless person and charity service (and believe me I encounter a lot of charity groups every week) that crossed my path there'd be nothing left for me after all the bills were paid.

I feel the same way about donating money to third world countries in need. We should give money to a certain extent to help these people, but at the same time governments have all the power to ultimately fix these problems and they don't. Look at the suffering that goes on in most African nations, yet look at the corruption that goes on there too. It's just not on to expect hard working people to use their after tax dollars to fix these problems when government could do an awful lot more than they do with tax revenue, or even with things like sanctions against corrupt countries. It might seem harsh, but I've got a lot less money than the government does unfortunately.

sadly all governments tend to make 99% of people homeless... so all we need to do is crash down governments :whistleing:

e viva Anonymous :CoolFace:

did u know that the word government cums out latin words that mean mind control? :thumbsdown: nice crap... :max:

Fortunately that is not true.

http://sguforums.com/index.php?topic=41178.0 :whistleing:

Still does not make it right, I recommend you check more sources and often the root of the issue at hand. In the case a etymology site would probably help. Anyway, look at this.

" it comes from the ancient Greek kubernân which means "to drive (a carriage)" or "to pilot (a vessel)".

It was first used in the sense of "leading a group of persons or a state" by Plato.

It has evolved into gouvernement (French) goberniamento (Spanish), government (English) and governamento (Italian) and now designates both the leading of a state, and the group of persons who are in charge of doing so."

• gubernare, meaning "to steer"
  • The Latin word for Government is Ordinatio, Ordinatio is defined as: rule, government, order, arrangment, regulation.

Meh. They're either drug addicts, jesus-like nomads, or people who would otherwise be in a mental institution. I'd prefer people have the option of not being forced into mental institutions and I don't care about "blighting" the landscape unless it messes with my property value (I have none) or they're a thread. And as far as giving stuff.. I'll give food and if we have a mutual understanding they just want to cop a high, sometimes I'll give 'em a few bucks.

A few weeks ago this Ellen Page looking girl in a hoody approached me coming out of a Walmart with my shopping bags (this Walmart always seems to have a police car idling outside btw). She said, "excuse me" twice as she emerged out of nowhere between two cars. She didn't look like she was in a bad state. She could have been a teenager. Despite the normalness of the girl I feel like I had a premonition the moment she looked in my direction that was going to ask me for something.

It was a very close call. I almost acknowledged her existence. That moment lasted like 1.5 seconds, and I had to make a microsecond decision. If I even looked in her direction for a split of a second I think it would have been awkward. I usually flinch or fidget but luckily I went with my instincts and avoided eye contact before she even said "excuse me". I doubt she was looking for her cat. In the back of my mind I think I recall seeing her or someone just like her holding a sign by some bushes at the Walmart a few weeks prior.

There's also this guy holding a bucket with a sign. He always marches at 5:15 at the specific intersection with all the traffic from people getting home from work. I've never read his sign although I think it reads something about donations. I make sure not to look in his direction or gain eye contact. That dude is my age. He looks both healthy and sane. I'm not sure why he is begging for money. I try to wear shades so eye contact is eliminated.

There's a few others around here. Normally I'd expect to see this in the bigger cities.

I'm not sure what's wrong with people. I could never beg for money.

I love the homeless. I've worked with them for a couple years, so I know quite a few local folks experiencing homelessness pretty well. A good thing to do is to keep a small stack of street sheets in your car. A street sheet is a sheet of paper that has local resources for the homeless usually organized by category. It would look like this:

Shelters

Salvation Army Shelter

5th St. and Walnut Ave.

Opens after 6 PM

No mail service

No charge

(555)-555-1212

Community Alliance Shelter

Main St. and Wilson St.

Open 5:30 PM - 8:00 AM

Mail service provided

$3 per night, dinner served

(555)-555-0618

Food Pantries

St. Gabriel Parish Outreach

7th St and Orchid Lane

Open 8 AM - noon (get there early)

Clothing also available

(555)-555-2892

Striking Hunger Ministries

Jones Blvd. and Blowfish Ln.

Open 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM on Tuesdays

Toiletries also available

(555)-555-7513

Medical and Dental Care

Timmons County Medical Charities

12th St. and Medical Ln.

Open Wednesdays and Saturdays

8 AM - noon, appointment required

Free care, but donations accepted

(555)-555-2763

St. Eggberts Dental Clinic

465 Pacific Blvd. (near Tucson St.)

Open every 1st and 3rd Tuesday

11 AM - 3:00 PM, appointment required

Free Cleanings and extractions

(555)-555-2983

Free Hot Meals

Open Arms Ministries

467 Robert E. Lee Dr.

Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 10:00 AM

Breakfast only

ID required

(555)-555-1538

Redeemer Hospitality Center

1082 Foxtrot Dr.

Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

(555)-555-3968

Legal Assistance

Jewish Charities

298 Hemlock Blvd.

Thursdays, noon - 5 PM

approx. 8 attorneys available

1/2 hour appointments required

(555)-555-7117

Solomon Community Center

452 8th St.

Mondays, 10 AM - 3 PM

Approx. 9 attorneys available

1-hour appointments required

(555)-555-3375

There are a lot of people who are newly homeless or new to town (other cities may have given them a 1-way bus ticket to your city so that they didn't have to "deal with those people" anymore; happens all the time, one of the most common ways cities "help" the homeless), so having street sheets for them can be enormously helpful.

Here's the website of the best, most amazing homeless center in the world:

http://www.roomintheinn.org/

Edited by DirtyDeeds

I love the homeless. I've worked with them for a couple years, so I know quite a few local folks experiencing homelessness pretty well. A good thing to do is to keep a small stack of street sheets in your car. A street sheet is a sheet of paper that has local resources for the homeless usually organized by category. It would look like this:

Shelters

Salvation Army Shelter

5th St. and Walnut Ave.

Opens after 6 PM

No mail service

No charge

(555)-555-1212

Community Alliance Shelter

Main St. and Wilson St.

Open 5:30 PM - 8:00 AM

Mail service provided

$3 per night, dinner served

(555)-555-0618

Food Pantries

St. Gabriel Parish Outreach

7th St and Orchid Lane

Open 8 AM - noon (get there early)

Clothing also available

(555)-555-2892

Striking Hunger Ministries

Jones Blvd. and Blowfish Ln.

Open 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM on Tuesdays

Toiletries also available

(555)-555-7513

Medical and Dental Care

Timmons County Medical Charities

12th St. and Medical Ln.

Open Wednesdays and Saturdays

8 AM - noon, appointment required

Free care, but donations accepted

(555)-555-2763

St. Eggberts Dental Clinic

465 Pacific Blvd. (near Tucson St.)

Open every 1st and 3rd Tuesday

11 AM - 3:00 PM, appointment required

Free Cleanings and extractions

(555)-555-2983

Free Hot Meals

Open Arms Ministries

467 Robert E. Lee Dr.

Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 10:00 AM

Breakfast only

ID required

(555)-555-1538

Redeemer Hospitality Center

1082 Foxtrot Dr.

Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

(555)-555-3968

Legal Assistance

Jewish Charities

298 Hemlock Blvd.

Thursdays, noon - 5 PM

approx. 8 attorneys available

1/2 hour appointments required

(555)-555-7117

Solomon Community Center

452 8th St.

Mondays, 10 AM - 3 PM

Approx. 9 attorneys available

1-hour appointments required

(555)-555-3375

There are a lot of people who are newly homeless or new to town (other cities may have given them a 1-way bus ticket to your city so that they didn't have to "deal with those people" anymore; happens all the time, one of the most common ways cities "help" the homeless), so having street sheets for them can be enormously helpful.

Here's the website of the best, most amazing homeless center in the world:

http://www.roomintheinn.org/

Never heard of this. I wonder how they would react if I gave them that sheet of paper. I don't really interact with strangers, especially in my 'hood. Most of them act like thugs. The issue with homeless appears too complicated for me to solve. I actually became self-conscious after that girl approached me (I over-analyze everything). I looked at it from outside of the box and wondered if she targeted me because she thought really lowly of me? Did she think I was weak-minded and a fool? I never look at things from the surface.

I feel the same way about this leaf I just about drove over on the way home from work. As I got closer and closer to the leaf I noticed it looked like it was running. I finally noticed it was a little turtle trying to run across the road. I was like "Oh shit". I didn't run over it and I hope the car behind me didn't either. Nothing I can do about it though. I hope it made it across the road. Everything deserves a chance. Many things don't make sense in this world.

I honestly don't know how to help the homeless. I'd rather donate to animal shelters. I like animals more than people anyway.

I honestly don't know how to help the homeless. I'd rather donate to animal shelters. I like animals more than people anyway.

Fucking nigger police! Fuck da police!

EDIT: WTF? Blackout post; I've been on a bender since Tuesday??? Hell, I won't remember this post.

Edited by Its Cousin

I saw a guy panhandling at 10:00 pm last night (Sunday). I later saw him at the check out. He was buying stimulants just as expected (coffee). My city is overrun with them.