John Bonham

What did you think of Madagascar the 1st time you heard it?

It could have been very special on the record.

Before CD came out, I had imagined them going full on 'Kashmir' with this, and getting a real orchestra and horn section in to do some rich sweeping arrangements. They had the money to do this.

I was disappointed to hear a very unconvincing keyboard playing the horns, and the cheap sounding synth strings. I was underwhelmed with whomever it was on the drums, the production of them was bad, and the playing was boring and lacked any sort of feel. The production of the whole song, I thought, was very dry and boring, and simply lacked any sort of life about it.

Above all, Axl sounded terrible on it. One of the stand-out vocals from the early performances of this song was the build to the high notes prior to the breakdown/middle eight. This should have been a shining moment on the track, but it wasn't. They turned Axl's high notes down in the mix, and added another vocal an octave lower to sing along with it, completely taking away from the entire delivery. 

Had great potential, but fell flat.

I think when I first heard Madagascar and The Blues live versions it convinced me Axl was GNR or what he does makes it GNR. Twat and Catcher confirmed it. 

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think when I first heard Madagascar and The Blues live versions it convinced me Axl was GNR or what he does makes it GNR. Twat and Catcher confirmed it. 

Maybe if you consider GNR only the ballads and other masturbatory Axl songs.

This insistence that Axl IS GNR is so strange to me. It feels like those of you who say it are somehow personally attached to that mythology. Like the one man against the world thing. If Axl isn't GNR, then nothing makes sense and we descend into chaos or something.

No one ever says that you could have GNR without Axl. It's not an insult to him that the band... wait for it... IS the band and not just one man, as evidenced by absolutely everything -- from sound, to subject matter, to influences, to song choices, to album booklets, to album sales, to concert sales... to absolutely everything.

4 hours ago, magisme said:

This insistence that Axl IS GNR is so strange to me. It feels like those of you who say it are somehow personally attached to that mythology

It's not a mythology. It's true. Izzy wrote'em all is a mythology.

4 hours ago, magisme said:

No one ever says that you could have GNR without Axl

You're right. There's no Guns' without Axl which means Axl=Guns N' Roses.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

It's not a mythology. It's true. Izzy wrote'em all is a mythology.

They're both mythologies.

5 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

You're right. There's no Guns' without Axl which means Axl=Guns N' Roses.

OK. I get it now. You guys just don't understand how equations work.

There's no Horse and Carriage without the horse. The Horse IS the Horse and Carriage. Try it with any composite item. It's absurd every time. Car, house, human body... every time.

I don't personally buy into the "Axl is GN'R" stuff, more like "Axl + Slash = GN'R" but I'll give the argument a go:

It's that, because Axl was such a larger than life personality, he's sort of the literal voice and face of the band, moreso than anyone else in a sense. He's the reason behind the band's early 'dangerous' image, all of their controversies, which at the time only managed to make them more popular. He became even larger than life as this reclusive Howard Hughes figure, and because he stole the name and used it on his own for almost 20 years, it's kinda become interwined with him. It's the same reason why so many of the Grungers and such hated GN'R. They didn't necessarily hate GN'R - the band, the music - they hated Axl Rose and all he stood for, but because he was the larger than life, charismatic frontman, Axl became, for public purposes, Guns N' Roses. 

He's also responsible for 90% of the band's back catalogue in case it has slipped your narrow mind.

1 hour ago, Miser said:

They didn't necessarily hate GN'R - the band, the music - they hated Axl Rose and all he stood for, but because he was the larger than life, charismatic frontman, Axl became, for public purposes, Guns N' Roses.

You were right until this. They didn't hate him for those reasons because that's not how they saw him. They hated him because they thought he was bullshit. They basically thought of him the way we think about hair bands. They thought he was a ridiculous. They thought he was a spoiled brat with a gimmick voice making gimmick music and videos that he hilariously thought were deep. I thought they were 100% wrong at the time, but now it looks like they were just the first ones to see the truth.

6 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

What would those guitar parts be without songs he and Izzy supplied to Slash ?

It's almost like all the parts of GNR songs were necessary to make GNR songs. Really makes you think.

Edited by magisme

1st time I heard it was the VMAs but i was so preoccupied watching the state of Axl and his band that i barely noticed the song. Heard it again much later and was surprised how shit it was

38 minutes ago, magisme said:

You were right until this. They didn't hate him for those reasons because that's not how they saw him. They hated him because they thought he was bullshit. They basically thought of him the way we think about hair bands. They thought he was a ridiculous. They thought he was a spoiled brat with a gimmick voice making gimmick music and videos that he hilariously thought were deep. I thought they were 100% wrong at the time, but now it looks like they were just the first ones to see the truth.

It's almost like all the parts of GNR songs were necessary to make GNR songs. Really makes you think.

Yeah, I agree they hated him for those reasons but my point is, most of the time, when speaking about Axl, they used the term Guns N' Roses.. The other guys just seemed like background characters in those guys' minds and thus in the minds of people who supported them, which kinda became the public at large.  Axl's antics and diva nonsense in the early 90s made it so that the GN'R brand, in a sense, was inseparable from his bullshit, basically.

10 hours ago, magisme said:

Maybe if you consider GNR only the ballads and other masturbatory Axl songs.

This insistence that Axl IS GNR is so strange to me. It feels like those of you who say it are somehow personally attached to that mythology. Like the one man against the world thing. If Axl isn't GNR, then nothing makes sense and we descend into chaos or something.

No one ever says that you could have GNR without Axl. It's not an insult to him that the band... wait for it... IS the band and not just one man, as evidenced by absolutely everything -- from sound, to subject matter, to influences, to song choices, to album booklets, to album sales, to concert sales... to absolutely everything.

Not really like that. I’m not insisting it’s just the way I see it. There’s different ways to see things.

It’s just that’s how it sounds. If you play me Madagascar or the Blues in 2000 and ask me who it is I would say GNR? Who’s on guitar? Is it Slash? No? Oh. 

There are songs on VR or Izzy you can see as could have been GNR but the songs Axl does makes it GNR, even AFD without the Queen  wouldn’t sound like GNR. Axl is the one who insists on that. That’s why Slash and Izzy ran off to do solo records. Slash would do Snakepit as GNR, Axl would take those songs apart and put some extra guitar parts and an intro/outro, horns on it. It’s a different approach but it’s only Axl that wants to do that. 

GNR isn’t a sound it’s more of an approach and Axl seems to have stuck with that. Even on songs like Chi dem or Shackler’s at first you might guess RATM or Korn but Axl stuck with so much of the style and dynamics of GNR that it’s hard to think of it as anything else.When I hear it I think who the hell else does it like this? 

That’s completely different to arguing about what is the best or only legit GNR line up. Which for me crumbles on every record released by GNR after AFD.

If you take SOD, Twat, Catcher, Madagascar, TIL, Prostitute off CD and put some Slash solo songs on it, I’d say what is this Velvet Revolver? Kind of like how Spaghetti Incident doesn’t feel like a full blown GNR album. There’s elements here and there but no SCOM, Paradise City or Civil War. 

Axl isn’t everything but he’s the diffentiating factor to wherher it’s GNR. For me anyway

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, GUNNER said:

A X L     I S       G N ' R

Die with envy of his shit.

more like without Axl it’s not GNR.

I say new, you say nu, let’s get Slash on CD II. 

Teenage me was super into it, all the angst, but over time it is hard to listen to. If I have ultimate control of the track list I probably would have cut it.

48 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

Extremely boring song. 

Word.

When I saw nuGuns in concert, as soon as I heard that horn intro, I'd internally groan.

The 'Axl Is GNR' mob is quite a bizarre crowd.

Some people are just born to be boot-lickers, I suppose. That's my analysis. 

Axl is the Rose, the other guys (AFD) were the Guns.

Can anyone explain why the song is called Madagascar?

Edited by Doctor Dom

3 hours ago, Barry said:

The 'Axl Is GNR' mob is quite a bizarre crowd.

Some people are just born to be boot-lickers, I suppose. That's my analysis. 

"boot-lickers" says a retard who has admitted many times how much influence Axl had on forming his admittedly shit taste :lol:

You're probably the biggest boot-licker here despite your edgy schtick :lol:

You know what to do, don't you ? without my elaborating further.

I'll remind you in any case. Eat a dick you fucking neckbeard :lol:

1 hour ago, Doctor Dom said:

Axl is the Rose, the other guys (AFD) were the Guns.

Can anyone explain why the song is called Madagascar?

Madagascar is Isolated from the mainland. In the movie Alex the lion dreams of the freedom of the real creative jungle. He wants to escspe the captivity of his celebrity zoo. The three other zoo members spend the movie trying to reunite. It’s prophecy that it’s never too late. Free Atlas!