TheRevMKII_

Facebook - Good Or Bad

I assume everybody here has a Facebook, but is it a good thing or a bad thing to use.. Discuss and please let's try and keep it civilized

Edited by DarenJayRose

Facebook is a bad thing IMO. Social networking has seemed to have gotten corrupted. Being used as ammunition for bullying and taunting. I know my daughter won't be having one anyway.

I am on Facebook, but I'm considering deleting my account.

It ends up adding an extra 30 seconds of conversation to people I meet once every few years, and I don't mind looking at it when I'm on my phone while standing around at work. It's an entertaining nuisance?

I have a facebook, and while I don't like the new layout and whatever, I find it to be a useful way to keep in touch easily with friends and family. So I don't see it as a negative thing at all.

I only use my one to keep up to date with old school friends, college friends,relatives abroad.

The only downside to Facebook is that it reduces personal interaction between friends, hell even trying to talk to a girl/woman or to get a girl/woman's number these days, it's all done just by saying 'Do you have Facebook'

I only use my one to keep up to date with old school friends, college friends,relatives abroad.

The only downside to Facebook is that it reduces personal interaction between friends, hell even trying to talk to a girl/woman or to get a girl/woman's number these days, it's all done just by saying 'Do you have Facebook'

It doesn't reduces personal interaction between me and my friends.

Things I've read from Gawker made me delete what little I had online under a pseudonym. I also deleted my gmail account for similar reasons after the new privacy policy roll out. I'm pretty jealous that others connect with old friends and acquaintances they've had over the years but I wouldn't want Facebook to ever own or sell my info. That being said, I've never "used" Facebook so I never got to experience the Facebook problems or addictions people speak of.

Don't have facebook, never will. Will always mock those that do.

You mock me, I spank you. :shane:

Loser :awesome:

I have it, I like and I use it everyday. Why would it be something bad? It's great to arrange events and stuff... I had a party here last month and instead of calling everybody, each at a time, I just put everyone on the event with the info there. So easy.

If you don't like it, don't have one. But it is useful for a lot of stuff.

Thing is, people need to understand that the internet is a public space. Just try not to do or say stuff online that wouldn't say outside the internet on a public place.

North Dakota, September 13, 2016 — It didn’t take long after the National Guard was activated in North Dakota for militarized law enforcement to descend upon the site of the Dakota Access Pipeline. Today, mass arrests began as riot gear-clad police attempted to break up Native American opposition to the construction of the pipeline, which has been halted at one location but continues elsewhere.

According to independent news outlet Unicorn Riot, at least 20 protesters, or “water protectors,” have been arrested at gunpoint along with medics and two journalists. Police issued a one-time warning to “water protectors” that any trespassers would be arrested. The warning came after several people locked themselves to construction equipment in acts of civil disobedience on Tuesday. 

Unicorn Riot, which has been broadcasting live video of the tense standoff in North Dakota, says Facebook has been censoring their link from livestream.com. 

Commenters on their Facebook page were also complaining they could not share the video. Screenshots posted by page followers show Facebook blocked the link. 

A Unicorn Riot collective member confirmed to Anti-Media via email that Facebook was blocking the video link with its “automated censorship system.” 

“At a critical moment of our coverage of a Dakota Access Pipeline direct action today, Facebook’s automated censorship system blocked our video URL, shortly before two of our journalists were arrested onsite. As we started to cover today’s direct action, our collective members immediately noticed that the full Livestream event URL (http://livestream.com/unicornriot/events/6340986) was being blocked from Facebook. Posts and comments with the URL both immediately triggered popup security alerts. We tried putting the same URL through Bitly shortening and that official Unicorn Riot page post was deleted by Facebook within a few minutes. Finally we went with sharing our ‘Live Channel’ URL on our own website which had the embed included on it. 

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2016/09/13/18791197.php

Facebook really took a nosedive somewhere in 2010 if i remember correctly, as far as the user interface goes.  Honestly, the beginning of its decline (as far as hipster coolness) was opening itself up to non .edu domain email addresses.  Sure, it wouldn't have been a big success if it had just allowed .edu only, but now parents and old people are on there, and it's pretty much become this bland, lame, ubiquitous thing that every retard has.  It's good for connecting with girls you wanted to bang a long time ago though, I will say that.  It's good to just have an account you never use, so you can contact someone if you do need to, but overall, as far as a daily site, it's lame.  I do check it, but I don't post much.   It's breeding narcissism.  Same thing is happening to reddit.  It's really going downhill.  Its decline will be lesser than facebook's due to the nature of the site, but it's taking a sharp nosedive from what I can see.  I love when the 4chan people troll reddit.  Cracks me up.  

I'm surprised facebook managed to stay around.

I kind of preferred MySpace in hindsight. There were more customization abilities and it was possible to make your profile more personable.

The concept is boring now, but narcissism will keep it going no matter how much senior citizens shit up the feed.