Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aaron_H

Metric vs Imperial measurement

Guest Aaron_H

Thoughts.

While we (in the UK) sometimes use imperial, most young people are more used to using metric (aside from when discussing heights and weights of people, speeds and long distances for driving).. It's pretty mixed up over here (and I'd happily just use metric for everything). Is anyone against metric?

For those of you that use Fahrenheit, what temperature does water freeze at? and boil? What's room temperature? (Don't look it up, that's cheating. I want to know if you know off the top of your head.)

Edit: I guess this is more directed at the Yanks, since I know the Europeans use metric and I've no idea what they used to use in the past. I would assume some other form of imperial measurement, even if it's not "British imperial".. meh.

Edited by Aaron_H

Fahrenheit is 32 and 212 as far as I know (I don't use Fahrenheit).

I was actually yesterday just thinking about doing such a thread. The metric system and degrees Celcius are so much more intelligent, I have no idea why Americans still use other measuring units.

meh.ro3551.jpg

Its not really feasible to switch over all the infrastructure in the states to metric, though I asm pro metric

The world needs to pick one. I hate converting units.

The world has picked one, metric, and we Americans are the only stubborn assholes who refuse to completely conform.................

Pretty much the "yanks" in this thread have it. We've just gone too far, Americans like feeling like they're special and basically our official answer is, "No metric? Because fuck you, that's why." I am pro metric, it makes more sense but we've just gone too far, and rather than argue with people about it, it is easier just to memorize conversions. I would rather be 3-5 degrees off on my on the spot conversion than sitting and pissing and moaning about it.

I really have to know Aaron, have you actually encountered people so stupid that they don't know room temp, boiling, and freezing...nevermind, I think we all have, and we needn't look any further than an episode of jaywalking on the Tonight Show (the fact that Jay Leno has it also proves how stupid we are).

At this point it would be impossible to change here in the u.s.

Though metric makes a fuck ton more sense.

Our cars are already built using metric bolts etc...I use metric at work every day...so why would it be impossible?

Our cars are already built using metric bolts etc...I use metric at work every day...so why would it be impossible?

Because the stupid fucking general populous would collapse into anarchy if you made them learn something.

I love living in the US, I'd love it even more if not for the Americans living there.

Fuck measurements!

That's just because when you measure, you don't get to count that many inches.

This. They still teach the metric system over here, and every science teacher/professor i ever had knows we should convert to the metric system, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Fuck measurements!

That's just because when you measure, you don't get to count that many inches.

Yeah it's more fulfilling counting 241.3 millimeters.

> measuring penis length in milimeters

> lolamericans.jpg

i never had a problem with our system i hated conversions to metric got fucking irritating