Guest Aaron_H

What are your intellectual goals in life?

Guest Aaron_H

I don't expect this topic to stay active for very long, nor do I expect it to take very long before it gets derailed into a torrent of half-hearted abuse, but let's see where this goes..

I was going to ask what people's goals were in life, but I expected a lot of "raise kids the best way I can", "have a nice family life", "have a good career" etc and that isn't what I'm aiming for.

I wanna know what people want from their lives beyond those standard things. Be somewhat selfish, but also dreamy. Don't impose limitations on yourself because of age or previous strengths and weaknesses.

I have an unrealistic set of expectations from what I want to learn during my lifetime. I wanna be great at so many things that I know I'll never be able to do it. Still, the journey will be fun.

I want to start from the beginning with my physics and mathematics education and take myself to levels much greater than where I am right now. I want this to be a low point in my intellectual life (which seems to be the opposite of most people I've ever spoken to. Most people seem to want to never learn again after leaving school.)

I also want to learn another language, Spanish, to the point of fluency. I want to learn about philosophy, read the works of the greats. I want to learn about political theory, economic theory, music theory and read classic books and poetry in English literature.

Along a similar vein to my current academic life, I want to learn about chemistry, biology, electronics and I want to learn more programming languages and more about the fundamentals of how computers actually work.

If you don't wanna learn anything else, why not?

My wife and I plan on homeschooling her daughter because we feel we can give her education that the school system has failed. No grades, limited dead lines, just the books and documentaries and stuff. Hopefully it will motivate her to want to learn on her own because the best teachers are those who get you interested in learning more.

She's only eleven months so we are building up a library. Books on art, history, mathematics, philosophy, a vast library of literature. My wife wants to teach her French, I'd like to teach her Latin, maybe a variety of languages. It is exciting to see how it will turn out and the best thing is we get to learn and relearn with her.

As for myself I want to learn the history of the world. Everything.

Edited by BirdCatcher

I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and I plan on getting my Master's in the next year or so but in fairness I'm not excited about either. I was a student of English before I decided to go for science and I really want to go back that way. It's just a lot more fun to be fair. :)

My wife and I plan on homeschooling her daughter because we feel we can give her education that the school system has failed. No grades, limited dead lines, just the books and documentaries and stuff. Hopefully it will motivate her to want to learn on her own because the best teachers are those who get you interested in learning more.

She's only eleven months so we are building up a library. Books on art, history, mathematics, philosophy, a vast library of literature. My wife wants to teach her French, I'd like to teach her Latin, maybe a variety of languages. It is exciting to see how it will turn out and the best thing is we get to learn and relearn with her.

Birdy do you really think you're capable of providing a good classical education? If so then | applaud you but whenever I hear about home-schooling I tend to get a little worried. :)

Birdy do you really think you're capable of providing a good classical education? If so then | applaud you but whenever I hear about home-schooling I tend to get a little worried. :)

There are programs to assist parents. Parents help each other out, take kids to social events so they can learn social skills. I know many kids that were home schooled when I was in college. They just turn 17 and they graduate by the time they are 20. They were actually frustrated by the slow pace of the curriculum. I know one person who didn't make it but it was her mothers fault, took her daughter out of school and never got around to educating her. I gave her some of my old school books though. I have enough of my own.

It won't be easy but we accept the challenge.

Edited by BirdCatcher

There are programs to assist parents. Parents help each other out, take kids to social events so they can learn social skills. I know many kids that were home schooled when I was in college. They just turn 17 and they graduate by the time they are 20. They were actually frustrated by the slow pace of the curriculum. I know one person who didn't make it but it was her mothers fault, took her daughter out of school and never got around to educating her. I gave her some of my old school books though. I have enough of my own.

It won't be easy but we accept the challenge.

I really hope it all works out for you buddy. My concern usually arises when religion gets involved. :lol:

I value the concepts of nirvana and ultimate enlightenment on a personal level than I value mathematics. I respect it though. Basically I am hedonistic to the highest degree.

Oh yeah, most parents and teacher just avoid the problem all together. Unless it is the Bible Belt or a religious school then they only learn what their beliefs are. I will focus on the history of the religions first because much of history gets caught up in myth anyway. I will teach the major ones. Christianity, Judiasm, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taosism and whatever I left out because I can't remember everything.

In my opinion public school is a waste of time. They teach high school kids what they should have learned in third grade. Reading comprehension, writing, arthritic, geometetry, algebra,a choice in language and world history. I never understood why they have to teach U.S. History separate.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Oh yeah, most parents and teacher just avoid the problem all together. Unless it is the Bible Belt or a religious school then they only learn what their beliefs are. I will focus on the history of the religions first because much of history gets caught up in myth anyway. I will teach the major ones. Christianity, Judiasm, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taosism and whatever I left out because I can't remember everything.

In my opinion public school is a waste of time. They teach high school kids what they should have learned in third grade. Reading comprehension, writing, arthritic, geometetry, algebra,a choice in language and world history. I never understood why they have to teach U.S. History separate.

US History is great but it's easy cos there's not much of it! :lol:

I wanna become much better at DSP and comms, and contribute something innovative and useful to v2x technology. I also want to really understand Kant and Rawls much better, and write my own philosophy papers sometime. I want to become fluent in Japanese. I want to understand economic theory better.

I wanna become much better at DSP and comms, and contribute something innovative and useful to v2x technology. I also want to really understand Kant and Rawls much better, and write my own philosophy papers sometime. I want to become fluent in Japanese. I want to understand economic theory better.

Hot tip on economics - money comes in = yay

money goes out = nay

Add your own morals and ethics to taste.

That's really all there is to it. Don't know why everyone and their dog needs to look into Keynesian crap and Milton Friedman etc etc.

Well let's see actually have a business degree and studied a stack of subjects worth of economics. Fact is your own bias, especially political and/or religious/ethical will always be the main determining factor in how you figure an economy should operate. Am I wrong or am I right?

Well let's see actually have a business degree and studied a stack of subjects worth of economics. Fact is your own bias, especially political and/or religious/ethical will always be the main determining factor in how you figure an economy should operate. Am I wrong or am I right?

Supply and demand and all that jazz.

I would like first and foremost to make the personal discovery of a topic that keeps me interested throughout my whole life. I have the tendency to have near-obsessive interests in one or two topics for about 3 years or so, then it changes to something else. So I don't know what my real goals are. But I'll give it a whirl.

I'd like to know enough local people to really understand the issues that concern the community, and be a strong advocate for what I believe to be the morally correct option. That's not really measurable but it's something I'd like to get to.

I'd like to really become an expert on baseball strategy (I know sports don't ultimately mean anything, but neither do a lot of other things) and coaching/managing. It's something I already enjoy, I like improving and trying new methods, and I like connecting with the players I teach.

Learn to play piano and read music quickly and accurately. I can read it now, but not very fast and I'm rather limited.

Finish my bachelor's in physics eventually for the hell of it OR study it on my own (I have more than enough materials) and achieve the equivalent or more of a bachelor's. The degree itself means nothing to me (or anyone else for that matter, in my life).

Get a lot better at praying.

Do a heck of a lot of reading and writing on philosophy/theology. Not sure if I'll want to go to school for that (well I would WANT to, but I don't know if that's where life, money, time, etc will take me), but do enough, and on a life-long, ongoing basis to help develop my faith throughout my life. Divinity school would be awesome though. Liberation theology (think Gustavo Gutierrez) interests me a lot. I'm attracted to theology in a practical sense, but I'd like to learn as much as I can from as many of the major theologians as I can.

I'd like to have a respectable amateur backyard astronomical observatory with a variety of instruments and record and contribute data to astronomers and real physicists so they can use it for their research. Astronomy is a very amateur-centered science, and much valuable information comes from the observations of amateurs.

Continue to develop my hobby in high-powered rocketry (all these things require money, though, so who knows?) and other space-science hobbies (upper atmospheric craft, probably balloon-based, with instruments and such) so that I can at least pretend that I was ever a rocket scientist type :-P even though being a real one never worked out (and now I'm glad it didn't).

That's all I got right now. Hope it's the type of stuff you were looking for. None of this might be the kind of stuff that will help me earn any more money, but it's the kind of stuff that makes living life worth it for me.

I would like first and foremost to make the personal discovery of a topic that keeps me interested throughout my whole life. I have the tendency to have near-obsessive interests in one or two topics for about 3 years or so, then it changes to something else. So I don't know what my real goals are. But I'll give it a whirl.

I'd like to know enough local people to really understand the issues that concern the community, and be a strong advocate for what I believe to be the morally correct option. That's not really measurable but it's something I'd like to get to.

I'd like to really become an expert on baseball strategy (I know sports don't ultimately mean anything, but neither do a lot of other things) and coaching/managing. It's something I already enjoy, I like improving and trying new methods, and I like connecting with the players I teach.

Learn to play piano and read music quickly and accurately. I can read it now, but not very fast and I'm rather limited.

Finish my bachelor's in physics eventually for the hell of it OR study it on my own (I have more than enough materials) and achieve the equivalent or more of a bachelor's. The degree itself means nothing to me (or anyone else for that matter, in my life).

Do a heck of a lot of reading and writing on philosophy/theology. Not sure if I'll want to go to school for that (well I would WANT to, but I don't know if that's where life, money, time, etc will take me), but do enough, and on a life-long, ongoing basis to help develop my faith throughout my life. Divinity school would be awesome though. Liberation theology (think Gustavo Gutierrez) interests me a lot. I'm attracted to theology in a practical sense, but I'd like to learn as much as I can from as many of the major theologians as I can.

I'd like to have a respectable amateur backyard astronomical observatory with a variety of instruments and record and contribute data to astronomers and real physicists so they can use it for their research. Astronomy is a very amateur-centered science, and much valuable information comes from the observations of amateurs.

Continue to develop my hobby in high-powered rocketry (all these things require money, though, so who knows?) and other space-science hobbies (upper atmospheric craft, probably balloon-based, with instruments and such) so that I can at least pretend that I was ever a rocket scientist type :-P even though being a real one never worked out (and now I'm glad it didn't).

That's all I got right now. Hope it's the type of stuff you were looking for. None of this might be the kind of stuff that will help me earn any more money, but it's the kind of stuff that makes living life worth it for me.

Moron. :rofl-lol:

How refreshing.

Aaron H - I didn't mean exactly like don't study that stuff, but there's alot of folks out there who seem to think that they'll make some big discovery by studying economics - my point was essentially like I said money comes in is good, money goes out is bad. At least in macro, that's all it really is. How you choose to spend your money is up to you. How someone else spends their money is up to them. You wanna learn all the different sides of economic theory? Pay attention to what the left in politics is doing in your country, what the right's doing and then compare them.

How refreshing.

Aaron H - I didn't mean exactly like don't study that stuff, but there's alot of folks out there who seem to think that they'll make some big discovery by studying economics - my point was essentially like I said money comes in is good, money goes out is bad. At least in macro, that's all it really is. How you choose to spend your money is up to you. How someone else spends their money is up to them. You wanna learn all the different sides of economic theory? Pay attention to what the left in politics is doing in your country, what the right's doing and then compare them.

To me the more important aspect (well what I'd be interested in) of economics is understanding how someone else, in the wide sense, spends their money. That is really an understanding of human psyche. To be able to predict and quantize how the masses will react to goods or services is quite interesting.

Edit: Don't really get why you felt the need to insult deeds there? Because I found nothing moronic in his post and found it quite insightful to this thread's topic.

Edited by kevin

How refreshing.

To me the more important aspect (well what I'd be interested in) of economics is understanding how someone else, in the wide sense, spends their money. That is really an understanding of human psyche. To be able to predict and quantize how the masses will react to goods or services is quite interesting.

Exactly man. And that's my point. All you need is open ears and eyes and kinda like put yourself in another person's shoes in terms of how they would react to marketing, because fact is reactions etc they're all natural & intangible actions of human beings, you can't predict that sorta thing anymore with economic theory than you by say for example watching an ad on TV for the crappiest product available and going "yeesh, what a turd".

How refreshing.

What made you call him a moron? :facepalm:

Maybe that's good advice on looking at politics to see different approaches to handling the economy, but it doesn't seem "enough" for someone like me. (I can't speak for other people though).

Personally, I think you're coming across as a little bitter that people want to study the same things that you have. Why do you care what other people study? And so what if people think they'll make some "big discovery" while studying economics? Surely more people in the field is likely to encourage progress and development of new ideas. :thumbsup:

Bitter? Were you dropped as a child? Why would I necessarily care what he studys? I'm gonna hedge a bet he's not gonna make some big discovery and it's not that special to study economics etc. like it's some massive privelege. You're just being a flat out jerk and a complete tool as far as I can see - I'm just simply giving another perspective, but if you wanna carry on like a twat be my guest.

As for calling DirtyDeeds a moron, I thought Poms did sarcasm. In case you didn't read properly I said "how refreshing" below.

Edited by Johnny Drama

How refreshing.

Aaron H - I didn't mean exactly like don't study that stuff, but there's alot of folks out there who seem to think that they'll make some big discovery by studying economics - my point was essentially like I said money 4comes in is good, money goes out is bad. At least in macro, that's all it really is. How you choose to spend your money is up to you. How someone else spends their money is up to them. You wanna learn all the different sides of economic theory? Pay attention to what the left in politics is doing in your country, what the right's doing and then compare them.

What made you call him a moron? :facepalm: e

Maybe that's good advice on looking at politics to see different approaches to handling the economy, but it doesn't seem "enough" for someone like me. (I can't speak for other people though).

Personally, I think you're coming across as a little bitter that people want to study the same things that you have. Why do you care what other people study? And so what if people think they'll make some "big discovery" while studying economics? Surely more people in the field is likely to encourage progress and development of new ideas. :thumbsup:

Bitter? Were you dropped as a child? Why would I necessarily care what he studys? I'm gonna hedge a bet he's not gonna make some big discovery and it's not that special to study economics etc. like it's some massive privelege. You're just being a flat out jerk and a complete tool as far as I can see - I'm just simply giving another perspective, but if you wanna carry on like a twat be my guest.

As for calling DirtyDeeds a moron, I thought Poms did sarcasm. In case you didn't read properly I said "how refreshing" below.

You fail at emoticon etiquette mate... :facepalm:

Edited by classicrawker

How refreshing.

Aaron H - I didn't mean exactly like don't study that stuff, but there's alot of folks out there who seem to think that they'll make some big discovery by studying economics - my point was essentially like I said money 4comes in is good, money goes out is bad. At least in macro, that's all it really is. How you choose to spend your money is up to you. How someone else spends their money is up to them. You wanna learn all the different sides of economic theory? Pay attention to what the left in politics is doing in your country, what the right's doing and then compare them.

What made you call him a moron? :facepalm: e

You fail at emoticon quette mate... :facepalm:

Me or Aaron?