Jyrgen

Trent Reznor: 'I've tried to block out Nine Inch Nails shows supporting Guns'N'Roses'

I love the lyrics to Bruce Dickinson's "Navigate the Seas of the Sun," for instance, but it's not because they sound smart. I just think it's beautiful.

Interesting, because the lyrics in this particular song are actually VERY smart, and one of the reasons that I think that song is one of the best on that album. :D

That is the fine thing about music, it´s so personal how you approach it.

"Well beyond the Earth,

Beyond all things that gave us birth

We'll navigate the seas of the Sun

If God is throwing dice

And Einstein doesn't mind the chance

We'll navigate the seas of the Sun..."

Edited by siliconmessiah

And honestly TDS is more intelligent, listenable, and critically acclaimed than anything GNR has ever done

In what world?

NIN just ain't on the same level as GnR.

Sorry, Trent. Put on your jeans with the 20 inch leg and take it like a man.

I love you Trent, but don't badmouth GnR fans please.

Seriously? You can still defend the fanbase after being on these forums for so long? You must be a saint.

Heh, I know the fanbase is completely mental. But we're a dedicated bunch, you gotta say.

You're joking, right?

Let's be real guys. GNR has been done many times before. The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith... GNR was never anything new. Sure it was cool. It was fun. It was crazy and spontanious and reckless.

But NIN is on another level. A level of genius that goes beyond blues rock n roll. Trent is the Kurt Cobain of his genre and more.

You guys are biased and inclined to hate on anything I say that dismisses GNR for what it is... But they are what Jack White and The Black Keys are today. Throw back rock n roll made relevant.

NIN will be remembered and adored for generations. Trent is respected tremendously not ONLY for his music but for the way he presents himself in public, in interviews, to his fans, and to the world.

It's way easier to hate GNR than NIN. And there's plenty of valid reasons. Get off the GNR cock wagon. Nothing Axl could even dream of can touch the musical mastermind of The Downward Spiral or The Fragile.

You're joking, right?

Let's be real guys. GNR has been done many times before. The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith... GNR was never anything new. Sure it was cool. It was fun. It was crazy and spontanious and reckless.

But NIN is on another level. A level of genius that goes beyond blues rock n roll. Trent is the Kurt Cobain of his genre and more.

You guys are biased and inclined to hate on anything I say that dismisses GNR for what it is... But they are what Jack White and The Black Keys are today. Throw back rock n roll made relevant.

NIN will be remembered and adored for generations. Trent is respected tremendously not ONLY for his music but for the way he presents himself in public, in interviews, to his fans, and to the world.

It's way easier to hate GNR than NIN. And there's plenty of valid reasons. Get off the GNR cock wagon. Nothing Axl could even dream of can touch the musical mastermind of The Downward Spiral or The Fragile.

And who the fuck cares? Since when only new genres of music are good? Music is great, brilliant and wonderful when it is great, brilliant and wonderful and it has nothing to do with the genre or style or number of novelties. It has everything to do with talent.

No offense, but you and your argumentation remind me of those idiots back in elementary school who would say: "Well, let's be honest guys, GNR is shit cause they have ballads and Axl wears skirts and this isn't rock'n'roll. Iron Maiden and Metallica are true music, man. Cool music. Gnr is shit, man".

And to suggest that NIN willl be more remembered than GNR who almost 20 years after playing their last show together provoke so much emotions and interest that the whole world is going nuts for months just at the thought that probably, possibly, maybe they could, might play 3 songs together again? There must smth wrong with your mind, pal.

Edited by alterreality

I get what Trent is saying. Old GNR fans are a bunch of mulletheads with denim vest and Motley Crüe shirts. That´s why CD is too complex for them

Jesus Christ, people piss me off sometimes... music isn't about being "intelligent" or "revolutionary" or anything else ridiculous like that. A good song is a good song. A good band is a good band. Music critics are a bunch of pretentious douches who think they have the power to judge the creativity of other people and that their word is law. Jann Wenner (ex Rolling Stone editor and current HOF board member) is a prime example of this. Bloke thinks his opinion - because he's a music journalist - is more valid than those of other people. That's horse shit.

Music is art. Art is subjective. Liking simple, blues-based music doesn't make you a meathead. Would anyone who's referring to Guns N' Roses fans as "meatheads" call someone who liked the early Beatles stuff a "meathead"? Because some of those early McCartney/Lennon songs were even more simple and derivative than the stuff on Appetite for Destruction. Or Led Zeppelin, who often did little more than recycling and speeding up old blues riffs? Just because something's been done similarly before does not invalidate it as a piece of art. The only real, tangible measure we have for the value of music is album sales. If an album sells well, this means it appeals to many people's palates, and therefore loads of people think it's a great piece of music. This does not mean that objectively it is a great piece of music, but it's a good indicator.

I like Guns N' Roses more than I like Nine Inch Nails. This does not mean that Trent Reznor has no talent. It just means that I find the music of GN'R more appealing to my palate than his.

Let's use an analogy of food, shall we? If loads of people like a certain kind of food - like bacon, or ice cream - it becomes assumed knowledge amongst other people that this kind of food is good food. Same goes for music. Loads of people like Guns N' Roses. More, I'd guess, than like NIN, particularly considering that Reznor is describing is one where NIN was OPENING for GN'R. This means that Guns N' Roses were more successful than NIN, and more appealing to the palates of more people.

Just because I don't like NIN does not mean they suck, but if we're speaking objectively, I think it can safely be said that Guns N' Roses' music is far more palatable than Trent Reznor's, even if Axl's never won an Oscar.

Guest slipnslider

If you don't like NIN there's plenty of old fat leather wearing bands for you at OZZFEST but they all suck ass. Anyone who says NIN sucks doesn't know music. Or is stuck in the 80s and thinks music stopped evolving after GNR came out. Well you can just listen to your pantera and slayer and wish it was still 1988, but music left you behind long ago.

NIN is headed by a musical genius, and that was recognized by axl rose.

Axl practically worshipped Trent through the 90's - got them on tour, tried to copy their sound, stole their guitarist...

If you're saying you don't like NIN, you're saying axl has shitty taste in music.

NIN has put out what, maybe 4 times as many records as GnR?

Like I could say I hate labron james because of his ego but I can't say he sucks at basketball. You can say you don't like NIN for whatever reason - like you think all music needs to have musicians with long hair and leather pants singing about pussy and partying, or you hate modern music because your life was better in the 80's - but you can't say NIN sucks and Trent is a bad musician. Well actually, i guess you can SAY it, but it makes you look like an idiot.

"They were there to rock; what they didn't want was some homo-looking dudes playing noisy synths and they made that very clear to us.

At least he understands that he is as homo.

If you don't like NIN there's plenty of old fat leather wearing bands for you at OZZFEST but they all suck ass. Anyone who says NIN sucks doesn't know music. Or is stuck in the 80s and thinks music stopped evolving after GNR came out. Well you can just listen to your pantera and slayer and wish it was still 1988, but music left you behind long ago.

Axl practically worshipped Trent through the 90's - got them on tour, tried to copy their sound, stole their guitarist...

If you're saying you don't like NIN, you're saying axl has shitty taste in music.

Like I could say I hate labron james because of his ego but I can't say he sucks at basketball. You can say you don't like NIN for whatever reason - like you think all music needs to have musicians with long hair and leather pants singing about pussy and partying, or you hate modern music because your life was better in the 80's - but you can't say NIN sucks and Trent is a bad musician. Well actually, i guess you can SAY it, but it makes you look like an idiot.

So if, theoretically speaking, I liked listening to Bethoven it would mean music left me behind about a century ago or that I liked my life better at the turn of the 18th and 19th century. Alright, pal. So be it. I liked my life better then. :awesome:

I love the lyrics to Bruce Dickinson's "Navigate the Seas of the Sun," for instance, but it's not because they sound smart. I just think it's beautiful.

Interesting, because the lyrics in this particular song are actually VERY smart, and one of the reasons that I think that song is one of the best on that album. :D

That is the fine thing about music, it´s so personal how you approach it.

"Well beyond the Earth,

Beyond all things that gave us birth

We'll navigate the seas of the Sun

If God is throwing dice

And Einstein doesn't mind the chance

We'll navigate the seas of the Sun..."

That's my point exactly. Those lyrics are VERY smart, but that's not why I love the song so much. It's actually my favorite from the album and perhaps my favorite lyrics from Bruce ever (although Starblind and maybe River of No Return could possibly give it a run for its money).

I'm not sure if I already told you this, but Silicon Messiah is brilliant. I salute you. Blaze Bayley's solo stuff doesn't get talked about much, unfortunately.

If listening to NIN makes you feel better about yourself, good for you. You probably need the ego boost if you're anything at all like other NIN fans I've met. Bunch of mopey self-involved ugly fucks with shit hair.

NIN are a good band, but they simply are not on the same level as GnR. They never had the same impact, they don't have the same name recognition, and they were never fronted by two iconic legends like Axl and Slash.

And leather pants are cooler than anything Trent wore in his early NIN vids.

Looks like one those turds that got beat up very regularly at school. And he wonders why GnR fans called him a fag. LOL

If listening to NIN makes you feel better about yourself, good for you. You probably need the ego boost if you're anything at all like other NIN fans I've met. Bunch of mopey self-involved ugly fucks with shit hair.

NIN are a good band, but they simply are not on the same level as GnR. They never had the same impact, they don't have the same name recognition, and they were never fronted by two iconic legends like Axl and Slash.

And leather pants are cooler than anything Trent wore in his early NIN vids.

Looks like one those turds that got beat up very regularly at school. And he wonders why GnR fans called him a fag. LOL

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

You tell em Dead Flower haha

GNR fans call him a fag because the majority of the fan base are middle aged ignorant red necks.

Way to discriminate and stereotype people champ! :thumbsdown:

Also, wasn't he referring to a European tour? I wasn't aware of the huge meathead/redneck contigent in Europe, but then again maybe I'm just used to dbags like yourself talking down Americans' specifically and didn't realize they're all over the place.

Fact is, Trent is a wannabe repressed shitstain guy who thinks its vogue to project yourself as some outcast who is treated unfairly by people, when in fact most people when actually faced with that kind of individual would be turned off. These just happened to be paying customers who came to see the most badass rock band on Earth at that time and didn't have any use for some emo bullshit on those particular nights imo.

GNR fans call him a fag because the majority of the fan base are middle aged ignorant red necks.

Way to discriminate and stereotype people champ! :thumbsdown:

Also, wasn't he referring to a European tour? I wasn't aware of the huge meathead/redneck contigent in Europe, but then again maybe I'm just used to dbags like yourself talking down Americans' specifically and didn't realize they're all over the place.

Fact is, Trent is a wannabe repressed shitstain guy who thinks its vogue to project yourself as some outcast who is treated unfairly by people, when in fact most people when actually faced with that kind of individual would be turned off. These just happened to be paying customers who came to see the most badass rock band on Earth at that time and didn't have any use for some emo bullshit on those particular nights imo.

Your opinion clearly isn't worthwhile, as you don't even know what genre the band you're trying to bash belongs to.

Trent isn't a wanna be anything. He's a very nice guy with a stable family who adores his fans and treats them very well, all while being very tasteful and compassionate.

He's a class act, and has more or less made every major NIN decision with the intention of pleasing his fans, while also doing something he loves. Making unique and interesting music.

Fact also is, that you could change the name Trent in that paragraph to Axl and its exactly the same these days.

Whilst not a massive fan of NIN I'm openminded and realistic enough to respect and appreciate the career that Trent has. If you want to bash them so much you have to ask yourself certain questions I think:

Which band did Axl's 'Randy Rhoads' Robin Finck prefer to be in?

Did Trent destroy NIN to try and sound like GNR? Or was it the other way round?

Which band have had a consistently respected career due to progression and respect for their fans?

Which musician moves forwards and embraces technology and moves with the times? Giving away free albums, doing cutting edge tours and providing the means for fans to remix their own music?

Whos winning Oscars for awesome soundtracks whilst still managing all of the above?

Who had a song covered by Johnny Cash which to many people is one of the very best songs of all time?

Which of the musicians out of Axl and Trent have matured over 20 years to become a big hitter in the indusrty and not a running joke?

Its quite narrowminded to brand Trent a fag because of a look he sported 20odd years ago. Many of these same guys are the ones that though Robin's gay binbag alien look was awesome and Axl's assless chaps and bollockchopper shorts were the height of manliness.

You are allowed to like other music, artists etc and not just GNR, its not going to kill you to not bow down to Axl at every opportunity. Theres a world of good music out there, and just cos someone bashed the 'mullethead fans' from 1991 doesnt mean you cant embrace other groups. You have to because Axl sure doesnt release music anymore!

As said before : there is a reason why Trent Reznor got an academy award for a score he did 15 years after the peak of his career and members of GnR didn't do anything worth remembering since 1993.

I love NIN,especially The Fragile.saw that tour 2 times.

It's sad that Trent has those words to say about someone who supported him

from the very beginning.

and very disrespectful towards us,the hardcore fans.