hopkins

incredible interview with marc canter

So trying to call Axl a "dictator" is nothing more than your brainwashed opinion. It is not supported by facts at all!

Come on now. We have 25 years of evidece to draw from.

What's more liekly? Axl as dictator or Axl as easygoing fun guy?

And the evidence is what again?

Duff, Izzy and Slash have all stated in interviews that one of the reasons they quit was because of Axl's meglomania and need to control everything. Then of course there is the small matter of Axl fighting for control of the GnR brand name........ What other proof do you need?

My latest proof is Marc Canter's latest interview: http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

Let me paraphrase

Marc: Izzy is paranoid, unreliable, scared of cameras, the drug addict that got Slash, Duff, Steven hooked, goes into hiding (where's izzy?), after Izzy sobered up he hated being around Slash/Duff because of their drugs and booze problems, Izzy was afraid of going bankrupt and being liable for GnR's problems, he quit on Axl and Slash to join another band in the early days before GnR, etc

Marc: Slash is a liar, Slash lies to make himself look cool, Slash lies when he is boxed into a corner, Slash ruined the 1996 reunion sessions, Slash rejected Axl's 2001 olive branch to do 3 songs on Chinese Democracy, Marc is closer to Axl than Slash eventhough Slash was his childhood friend, etc

Marc: Axl views Duff as trustworthy (eventhough Duff erroneously still believes Axl victimized him out of the GnR name)

Marc: Axl did not victimize Slash and Duff in signing over their rights to the GnR name, Axl was only trying to protect himself in the case of their deaths due to drugs and booze

Marc: Axl is not controlling in the creative music process but he is a perfectionist

Marc: Axl loves me and takes care of me, Axl always sends me the latest new technological toys, if there's anything I need Axl will help, Axl supported my book when the other members did not care

I don't know about you, but from Marc Canter's account, it seems like Axl was the most reasonable one of them all.

So again I must ask again, where is your evidence to support your claims about Axl the evil dictator?

where are you getting this from? I didn't say all these things????

Marc, meet warchild. She's an unwell forum troll who has a sick obsession with Axl. Been banned several times, comes up with different S/Ns, etc. She's not well. I'm serious. Pay no mind to her ramblings.

So Marc if you don't feel comfortable answering my Snakepit question any hope for the box set of your recordings happening anytime soon?

No box set at this time. Someday it will get done even if were all dead by then. Your grand kids will love it.

Edited by recklessroad

So trying to call Axl a "dictator" is nothing more than your brainwashed opinion. It is not supported by facts at all!

Duff, Izzy and Slash have all stated in interviews that one of the reasons they quit was because of Axl's meglomania and need to control everything. Then of course there is the small matter of Axl fighting for control of the GnR brand name........ What other proof do you need?

My latest proof is Marc Canter's latest interview: http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

Let me paraphrase

Marc: Izzy is paranoid, unreliable, scared of cameras, the drug addict that got Slash, Duff, Steven hooked, goes into hiding (where's izzy?), after Izzy sobered up he hated being around Slash/Duff because of their drugs and booze problems, Izzy was afraid of going bankrupt and being liable for GnR's problems, he quit on Axl and Slash to join another band in the early days before GnR, etc

Marc: Slash is a liar, Slash lies to make himself look cool, Slash lies when he is boxed into a corner, Slash ruined the 1996 reunion sessions, Slash rejected Axl's 2001 olive branch to do 3 songs on Chinese Democracy, Marc is closer to Axl than Slash eventhough Slash was his childhood friend, etc

Marc: Axl views Duff as trustworthy (eventhough Duff erroneously still believes Axl victimized him out of the GnR name)

Marc: Axl did not victimize Slash and Duff in signing over their rights to the GnR name, Axl was only trying to protect himself in the case of their deaths due to drugs and booze

Marc: Axl is not controlling in the creative music process but he is a perfectionist

Marc: Axl loves me and takes care of me, Axl always sends me the latest new technological toys, if there's anything I need Axl will help, Axl supported my book when the other members did not care

I don't know about you, but from Marc Canter's account, it seems like Axl was the most reasonable one of them all.

So again I must ask again, where is your evidence to support your claims about Axl the evil dictator?

Please forgive her Marc. We are participating in a program that allows mentally challenged/unbalanced people to post....

So Marc if you don't feel comfortable answering my Snakepit question any hope for the box set of your recordings happening anytime soon?

No box set at this time. Someday it will get done even if were all dead my then. Your grand kids will love it.

Hopefully while I am still young enough to enjoy it...... :fingers-crossed:.....although My 6 and 8 year old daughters are fans so they may have something to look forward to.....

Let me paraphrase

Please forgive her Marc. We are participating in a program that allows mentally challenged/unbalanced people to post....

Then why isn't Dexter posting here? :CoolFace:

Marc,something I've always wondered, is Axl obsessed with music, spending much of his time listening to it, creating it, or does he see it as more a labour of love and having to drag himself to it, where his talent is almost a curse to him?

I just actually read that whole interview. Great read.

Marc - Yesterday, when I asked if Duff could be a possible mediator, I didn't realize that you had already theorized the same in your interview. Given what we can see, it appears as though Duff is the most mentally grounded and may have the best chances of bringing things together, if he were interested.

Also, it's good to see confirmation from someome who would know that Slash would do a reunion in a heartbeat. I think this was already blatantly clear to most, but there were still a few citing his 2007 book as proof that "he wouldn't necessarily do it because of the late starts". Yeeah.

I disagree with those of you who are saying that these Axl / Slash issues appear even more complex than any of us could have imagined. From my perspective and based on Marc's interview, it appears as though most of the issues are comprised of unfortunate misunderstandings and differences of perspectives. The explanation given about Doug being a middle man between Axl and Slash and the issue of signing over the band name makes alot of sense. He [Doug] probably did say something like "sign this or Axl won't go on, which will result in a riot". That would make both Axl and Slash's recollection of events accurate. It does makes sense. And it's extremely unfortunate that such a relatively minor thing has become such a magnified sore spot in this whole soap opera.

One of my favorite parts of the interview was about Izzy and his efforts, or lack thereof, in regards to your book. Classic. :lol: I don't know what else to say

This is where you and I disagree. I think the whole relationship was more complex then any of us imagined. Many of us, yourself included based on reading your posts, based our arguments assuming Axl was the villain without understanding the reasons behind his behavior. We saw things as black and white which, based on Marc's interviews they are not.

While Marc's interview and comments were intertesting and enlightening, I fail to see anything that I would consider to be complex about Axl and Slash's relationship. If it appears that way to you, to each their own.

As I said previously, there doesn't appear to be anything overly groundbreaking or irreconcilable that has led to these two not talking in the past 16 years. It seems as if misunderstandings and differences of perspective have, unfortunately, been the issues. As Marc alluded, it seems that if they had the right, non-biased middle man, many of these issues should be able to be ironed out. The issue I see is Axl agreeing to these talks. Perla may be able to persuade Slash, but I don't see Beta seeing any gain in persuading Axl.

I can respect Duff's not wanting to change the way that others see things, but that's unfortunate because he would probably be the right person to be this bridge between the two, imo.

Edited by BBA

Edit,

ill leave the warchild stuff outta the thread,

anymore insights marc, would be appreciated

thanks for everything so far

Edited by Gunns

That interview was great Marc, as was your book. I think it's obvious we all appreciate your insight and for sharing your memories with us.

I talk to Axl on the phone I think in 2009. He was upset at me for an interview that I did that he totally misunderstood something I said. I kept defending Axl and in doing so I was told in the interview that I was fucking over Slash by defending Axl, so I made a comment about that Slash had to eat some shit over some time but it was worth it for the music and Axl was upset that I didn't say all the times when he had to eat some shit like when Alan Niven booked at tour before the UYI records were done and Axl was not ready to do it. and a few other things. I find my self defending Axl all the time, but all it takes is one time that he thinks I said something wrong and Axl is upset about it. Axl is very sensitive as you all know and that is why Del told me years ago not to do any interviews because things can get twisted or even if you say anything at all, it could come back to bite you.

Of all the things you've said though, this^^, leaves me shaking my head and may be one of the more enlightining things you've shared. I've read most of your posts from the beginning on MYGNR, and I also thought that you came across as defending Axl more, while being overly critical of Slash. Now I understand why. It's obviously not easy to stay in Axl's good graces. However, nothing you say should come back to bite you, as long as you are being honest, it's your perspective and point of view, and you have every right to express it. To have to fear that you might offend and upset, or alienate someone because they may not like your perceptions or how you stated them, is just not acceptable.

It's another insightful look into Axl's personality and those around him. I don't blame Slash for not apologizing, I hope he never does. Not at least until Axl comes to terms with his own failures and shortcomings, and stops blaimng others for them. It's obvious you care about him, but there comes a time when you have to realize you've done all you could to help.

You know, at the end of the day, it was Slash sitting at the table, greeting fans, signing your book, and supporting his friend.

Just my opinion.

I just actually read that whole interview. Great read.

Marc - Yesterday, when I asked if Duff could be a possible mediator, I didn't realize that you had already theorized the same in your interview. Given what we can see, it appears as though Duff is the most mentally grounded and may have the best chances of bringing things together, if he were interested.

Also, it's good to see confirmation from someome who would know that Slash would do a reunion in a heartbeat. I think this was already blatantly clear to most, but there were still a few citing his 2007 book as proof that "he wouldn't necessarily do it because of the late starts". Yeeah.

I disagree with those of you who are saying that these Axl / Slash issues appear even more complex than any of us could have imagined. From my perspective and based on Marc's interview, it appears as though most of the issues are comprised of unfortunate misunderstandings and differences of perspectives. The explanation given about Doug being a middle man between Axl and Slash and the issue of signing over the band name makes alot of sense. He [Doug] probably did say something like "sign this or Axl won't go on, which will result in a riot". That would make both Axl and Slash's recollection of events accurate. It does makes sense. And it's extremely unfortunate that such a relatively minor thing has become such a magnified sore spot in this whole soap opera.

One of my favorite parts of the interview was about Izzy and his efforts, or lack thereof, in regards to your book. Classic. :lol: I don't know what else to say

This is where you and I disagree. I think the whole relationship was more complex then any of us imagined. Many of us, yourself included based on reading your posts, based our arguments assuming Axl was the villain without understanding the reasons behind his behavior. We saw things as black and white which, based on Marc's interviews they are not.

While Marc's interview and comments were intertesting and enlightening, I fail to see anything that I would consider to be complex about Axl and Slash's relationship. If it appears that way to you, to each their own.

As I said previously, there doesn't appear to be anything overly groundbreaking or irreconcilable that has led to these two not talking in the past 16 years. It seems as if misunderstandings and differences of perspective have, unfortunately, been the issues. As Marc alluded, it seems that if they had the right, non-biased middle man, many of these issues should be able to be ironed out. The issue I see is Axl agreeing to these talks. Perla may be able to persuade Slash, but I don't see Beta seeing any gain in persuading Axl.

I can respect Duff's not wanting to change the way that others see things, but that's unfortunate because he would probably be the right person to be this bridge between the two, imo.

It really isn't that simple though. I mean, it wouldn't exactly be difficult for somebody (like Marc, or Duff) to explain to Axl that Slash and Duff were lied to by Doug Goldstein, so if he should be mad at anyone it should be Doug. And to explain to Slash why Axl is upset about his comments, since he did not make that threat and suffered the ramifications for no reason. It's hard to believe nobody has done that in 16 years. The one wrench in this thought, is the asking of Doug himself, although it's almost certain he would either deny saying it, or claim that Axl did in fact tell him to say that.

So other than nobody being willing or able to believe that Doug lied to both parties, there has to be more to it than that.

That interview was great Marc, as was your book. I think it's obvious we all appreciate your insight and for sharing your memories with us.

I talk to Axl on the phone I think in 2009. He was upset at me for an interview that I did that he totally misunderstood something I said. I kept defending Axl and in doing so I was told in the interview that I was fucking over Slash by defending Axl, so I made a comment about that Slash had to eat some shit over some time but it was worth it for the music and Axl was upset that I didn't say all the times when he had to eat some shit like when Alan Niven booked at tour before the UYI records were done and Axl was not ready to do it. and a few other things. I find my self defending Axl all the time, but all it takes is one time that he thinks I said something wrong and Axl is upset about it. Axl is very sensitive as you all know and that is why Del told me years ago not to do any interviews because things can get twisted or even if you say anything at all, it could come back to bite you.

Of all the things you've said though, this^^, leaves me shaking my head and may be one of the more enlightining things you've shared. I've read most of your posts from the beginning on MYGNR, and I also thought that you came across as defending Axl more, while being overly critical of Slash. Now I understand why. It's obviously not easy to stay in Axl's good graces. However, nothing you say should come back to bite you, as long as you are being honest, it's your perspective and point of view, and you have every right to express it. To have to fear that you might offend and upset, or alienate someone because they may not like your perceptions or how you stated them, is just not acceptable.

It's another insightful look into Axl's personality and those around him. I don't blame Slash for not apologizing, I hope he never does. Not at least until Axl comes to terms with his own failures and shortcomings, and stops blaimng others for them. It's obvious you care about him, but there comes a time when you have to realize you've done all you could to help.

You know, at the end of the day, it was Slash sitting at the table, greeting fans, signing your book, and supporting his friend.

Just my opinion.

Wow spot on!!

But at the same token do you think Axl did absolutely nothing wrong? I do not think Axl is to blame for everything and Slash should take some blame as well - but from my perspective both are not innocent. And by that token I don't condemn either of them because I am just as a big Axl fan as I am a Slash fan

this is pretty much where iam, usually the truth is somewhere muddled in the middle,i think we will never know the whole story i think each of them had a fair share in what happend to the original lineup

Slash is always willing to help me with anything I need. I have always helped him with things he needed. That's what friends are for. By me saying nice things about Axl, does not mean I have done Slash wrong. I have always said that the spilt was no ones fault. They just were not on the same page anymore so it fell apart. Axl is the one that needs more things fixed because he is the one that always gets the bad rap. So since Axl will not stand up for him self, I feel the need to help out when I see fit to. I hate to see him taking punches and no one knows all the facts. So I try to shed some of my option to try and help out when I can. Sometimes I don't even know all the facts but, I give it my best guess. Even Slash sticks up for Axl sometimes. I'm sure Axl would rather me not say anything on his behalf, but it bothers me to sit and just watch it go on.

Edited by recklessroad

Marc,

I know im in the minority in asking a question relating to the chinese era of the band, but is there any interesting stories on robin finck/buckethead, and their time in the band?

I've heard a few things about Robin Finck, and why he left, but was wondering what your view on anything to do with finck or bucketheads time in there.

Anything stick out for you in terms of cool stories etc?

Marc, why do you think Axl doesn't stand up for himself more often? I was lucky enough to go to an After Party in 2010 and meet Axl, and I found him to be not at all like his public reputation. He was nice, cool and really funny. I honestly think he could change up his public persona if he did some high profile interviews.

I'm glad you got to meet him. He is a very nice guy. Even through the smallest thing can push him off the edge, it still doesn't change the fact the he is a good person. It's always great to see him laughing about something while he is telling a funny story. It's also great to see him interacting with the fans. A lot of people think that he won't give them the time of day , but he does.

Marc,

I know im in the minority in asking a question relating to the chinese era of the band, but is there any interesting stories on robin finck/buckethead, and their time in the band?

I've heard a few things about Robin Finck, and why he left, but was wondering what your view on anything to do with finck or bucketheads time in there.

Got any Finckism Marc?

I know nothing......

By the way I just got off the phone with John Parks (the guy that did the longest interview I ever did) with me on Legendary Rock Interviews and I went over some of the things that were misunderstood probably because I was talking so fast. I re quoted some of the things that I wanted to say and it's now posted.

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

marc

Edited by recklessroad

Hey Marc, do you think either Slash or Axl have real desire to ever settle their differences? Or has it been so long since they've seen or spoken to each other that it doesnt really matter to them at this point? Do you see them as two people who could be friends again or has that ship sailed long ago?

Marc,

Got any Finckism Marc?

I know nothing......

I'm happy to elaborate on Finck regarding anything Marc says about it.

yep...derailing this thread might not be cool tho....

I'm glad you got to meet him. He is a very nice guy. Even through the smallest thing can push him off the edge, it still doesn't change the fact the he is a good person.

Not sure if his former girlfriends/wife would agree with your statement of Axl being a good person... Not sure if inciting to riots, or doing nothing to prevent them like in St. Louis is something a good person would do. (James Hetfield said Axl was backstage like Nero watching Rome burning, he seemed to enjoy the riot).

Or running your mouth to the press when Slash tried to meet him in 2005... That was so low. The 'cancer' thing was really disgusting too...

I like Axl, but I wouldn't say he's a good person. :shrugs:

I'm glad you got to meet him. He is a very nice guy. Even through the smallest thing can push him off the edge, it still doesn't change the fact the he is a good person.

Not sure if his former girlfriends/wife would agree with your statement of Axl being a good person... Not sure if inciting to riots, or doing nothing to prevent them like in St. Louis is something a good person would do. (James Hetfield said Axl was backstage like Nero watching Rome burning, he seemed to enjoy the riot).

Or running your mouth to the press when Slash tried to meet him in 2005... That was so low. The 'cancer' thing was really disgusting too...

I like Axl, but I wouldn't say he's a good person. :shrugs:

Cept he knows the man personally, you dont. who are you to say who if Axl is a good person or not?