hopkins

incredible interview with marc canter

I don't even know what songs I heard back in 2006. All I know is that there were a lot of them and they all sounded very good and they all had vocals which was the first time I had really heard them with vocals. The first time I hear something, I'm not very good about remembering what I just heard.

Are you talking about CD songs? or other songs we haven't really heard.

Is it true that Axl filed a lawsuit against you regarding the book?

No Axl was the one who gave me permission to do it in the first place back in 1993. and it took me 15 months at 5 hours day and 18k to make the first draft. While he no longer supported what I was doing he didn't go back on his word.

That truly was the greatest GN'R interview ever!

And kostabi, you are fucking obsessed with your Axl hatred.You spend all day every day on a board spinning EVERYTHING as if Axl was evil. You claim to love the other guys but I have almost never seen you make a post where you don't put them against Axl, and the real message is always that Axl is an idiot, never that the others are great. Marc says some really great things about Axl in the interview and he is even present here and you have the nerve to accuse him of sugarcoating and lying in the interview? Give it a rest.

And kostabi, you are fucking obsessed with your Axl hatred.You spend all day every day on a board spinning EVERYTHING as if Axl was evil. You claim to love the other guys but I have almost never seen you make a post where you don't put them against Axl, and the real message is always that Axl is an idiot, never that the others are great. Marc says some really great things about Axl in the interview and he is even present here and you have the nerve to accuse him of sugarcoating and lying in the interview? Give it a rest.

Changes, your selfrighteousness is boring.

I didn't accuse him of lying in the interview. The interviewer said that he didn't change anything. He transcribed it as was. While Marc said that in HIS OWN WORDS that "words were put in his mouth" and "twisted" . Read my posts more carefully.

Regarding the fact that the others are great, you haven't been reading the Slash section I guess or my posts carefully like I said above.

So stop twisting my intentions and my phrasings. You love Axl no matter what. We get it. We got from your pissy reactions about the people's reactions to the Axl letter. Just like as I don't acknowledge or reply to any of your posts as I don't appreciate your racist comments in the past, I would prefer if you did the same with mine. This is the last time I will reply to you.

Changes, your selfrighteousness is boring.

I didn't accuse him of lying in the interview. The interviewer said that he didn't change anything. He transcribed it as was. While Marc said that in HIS OWN WORDS that "words were put in his mouth" and "twisted" . Read my posts more carefully.

Regarding the fact that the others are great, you haven't been reading the Slash section I guess or my posts carefully like I said above.

So stop twisting my intentions and my phrasings. You love Axl no matter what. We get it. We got from your pissy reactions about the people's reactions to the Axl letter. Just like as I don't acknowledge or reply to any of your posts as I don't appreciate your racist comments in the past, I would prefer if you did the same with mine. This is the last time I will reply to you.

My racist what..? I remember you starting a thread about a Swedish comedy clip from a TV show, which you perceived as a serious message supported by the government. I disputed that by saying the TV network in question was independent which you refused to believe. I then said it was not very hard to understand your belief since your country has had problems with corruption that my country has not. That is not racist, that is just pure fact. I also remember you saying something derogatory about Swedish people you had met in Greece which I replied to by saying I on the other hand have a very positive view on Greek people from my vacation there. When the hell have I been racist?! And how are YOU any less racist in your view on Swedes in these two cases?

I don't even love Axl, I am completely uninterested in his new band and I want a reunion. But it is impossible not to react to the hatred on this board. You actually said in this thread "I too seem to feel that Marc is way to impartial in his comments as if he is trying to suppress his own opinion", which was in regards to nice comments about Axl. You also stated Axl was a bitter old man and an asshole, you brought up a quote about Axl's drug use which I have no doubt was not to paint him in a positive light, and you also actually asked Marc if Axl really sued him because of the book. This is a regular thread, you do this every day.

But you are right, let's not ever communicate again.

Well, this is fucking great.... thankyou Marc...

The Axl bashing was killing me, (coz I am a fucking nutswinger baby!!!) and the offshoot, being some weighted discussion, is like a breath of fresh air....

much needed... :thumbsup:

Great fuckin' interview, and awesome thread.

Always cool to read what Marc has to say. Again, one of the best Gn'R interviews I ever read.

Sorry to hear about the Izzy thing and the book. It turned out great anyway.

I would love to know the answers to the things Marc asked Izzy.

I don't know if Duff made any calls. He did say in some interviews that he wanted to do it. Slash does not even have any phone numbers to call. In fact right around the time years ago when Slash went to Axl house, he first ask me for Axl number and I told him I can't give you it. I think it would have been very difficult for Axl to be there anyways more then you can ever imagine. I think he wanted to go but it would have been a big mess. A lot of things need to be worked out before Axl can be in the sane room with Slash.

Marc, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer all of our questions, and great interview!

Do you know what the truth is about Slash's visit to Axl's house that day? We know Slash admitted that he did go to Axl's house, but denied Axl's version of events. Who is telling the truth, and do you think there is any chance that Slash said those things about Duff, Scott etc that Axl claimed?

Also, do you know what Izzy is up to these days and why exactly he didn't turn up to the HOF?

Edited by izzystradlin

Question: How is Axl's life influenced by the people around him (Beta, Del, Fernando,...)?

I know Marc probably doesn't feel comfortable answering questions like this, but I must say, I'm also intriqued to know how much influence they have on his decisions.

So if there's anything you can say about their relationship it would be great.

And thanks for participating in such a great scale, it's been a thrill to read this thread and the interview.

So far, want to say huge thanks and much appreciation to Marc for this, you're a blessing in the GNR world. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk with us. Also, thanks to the other posters here for being civil and not running him off! lol.

I do have a quick question if you find time.

On the issue on Slash and Axl, do you find that either of them truly care about resolving their issues or becoming friends again? I realize they are reminded of each other in the media every day, but after 16 years would they even care to talk? Is it mostly just business issues they care to fix? Did you ever find them saying "Yeah, I'd like to talk to him again and work with him again, but he has to apologize first". Maybe its just me, but after that long it would seem to me they'd probably be indifferent about it at this point.

Also, do you think if Slash apologized the way Axl wanted, would he ask him to come back to GNR or would they just bury their personal issues and go their separate ways?

I also just bought your book, cant wait til it gets here!

Edited by PowderedToastMan

So far, want to say huge thanks and much appreciation to Marc for this, you're a blessing in the GNR world. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk with us. Also, thanks to the other posters here for being civil and not running him off! lol.

I do have a quick question if you find time.

On the issue on Slash and Axl, do you find that either of them truly care about resolving their issues or becoming friends again? I realize they are reminded of each other in the media every day, but after 16 years would they even care to talk? Is it mostly just business issues they care to fix? Did you ever find them saying "Yeah, I'd like to talk to him again and work with him again, but he has to apologize first". Maybe its just me, but after that long it would seem to me they'd probably be indifferent about it at this point.

Also, do you think if Slash apologized the way Axl wanted, would he ask him to come back to GNR or would they just bury their personal issues and go their separate ways?

Even if Slash apologized, Axl would never accept his apology. There would still be something that would be unacceptable for Axl. Or his circle of yes men that surround him could invent something new that Slash has done him wrong.

In the unlikely scenario that he accepted such an apology they would probably do some business move together. Axl is still overwhelmed by Slash's talent and would want to work with him if such issues where resolved. (in his mind)

Does the Reckless Road website work for anyone else? When I try to checkout it says " ERROR: There appears to be a problem with the URL you are trying to access. Please check to ensure you have entered the complete and correct URL, or that the link you have followed has not been truncated, then try again."

I can probably get it off amazon, but I wanted that free print that it says it comes with on the website.

The site works for me (www.recklessroad.com). He's also got the books (and other stuff) for sale on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/marccanter/m.html

Marc, if you're still around and feel like answering questions, here's another. There was a batch of UYI songs that I believe started as Slash demos (Don't Damn Me, Bad Apples, Locomotive, etc.) It is my understanding that even though he may have been difficult to deal with at that time, Axl still wanted that sort of "band collaboration" to work the songs to the next level. Was Slash cool with that, or not? In other words, did he have a sort of "the music's done, just shut up and sing" type of attitude, or was that only evident with the Snakepit demos. Also, is Bad Apples about Steven Adler?

Marc that was the best interview I have read about GnR bar none and one of the best about a band I have ever read! thanks for opening up and sharing your insight!

I have to say it really answered a lot of questions and opened my eyes up to the Axl /Slash relationship and what went on just before Slash quit and where Axl's mind has been since that day................

After reading that I can't see the point of the Axl vs. Slash pissing matches we have on this forum anymore as the dynamics are obviously much more complex then any of us ever imagined and both Axl and Slash have their own unique points of view......

Have a couple of questions for you related to some of the things you mentioned in the interview.........

1. Did Axl intially reject all of the Snakepit material, like Slash has claimed, only to come back later and say he wanted to work on 3 of the songs at which point Slash had already commited it to the Snakepit project or did Slash refuse to let him work on any of the material right from the start because he did not want Axl to change anything and then he released it as Snakepit?

2. You mentioned in a post about 6 months ago when I asked if you would ever release all the audio and video you recorded that you want to do a box set for the fans but that there are things to be worked out first but you thought it would happen one day. Since this would be my Holy Grail of old Guns material has there been any progress on releasing that material and is Axl's desire to bury the old band what is holding things up?

One last comment on the interview...you do realize this has now become the new Torah/ Bible for the fans on the forum and you will now be quoted constantly in the endless Axl vs. Slash battles?.......... :lol:

So trying to call Axl a "dictator" is nothing more than your brainwashed opinion. It is not supported by facts at all!

Come on now. We have 25 years of evidece to draw from.

What's more liekly? Axl as dictator or Axl as easygoing fun guy?

And the evidence is what again?

Duff, Izzy and Slash have all stated in interviews that one of the reasons they quit was because of Axl's meglomania and need to control everything. Then of course there is the small matter of Axl fighting for control of the GnR brand name........ What other proof do you need?

My latest proof is Marc Canter's latest interview: http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

Let me paraphrase

Marc: Izzy is paranoid, unreliable, scared of cameras, the drug addict that got Slash, Duff, Steven hooked, goes into hiding (where's izzy?), after Izzy sobered up he hated being around Slash/Duff because of their drugs and booze problems, Izzy was afraid of going bankrupt and being liable for GnR's problems, he quit on Axl and Slash to join another band in the early days before GnR, etc

Marc: Slash is a liar, Slash lies to make himself look cool, Slash lies when he is boxed into a corner, Slash ruined the 1996 reunion sessions, Slash rejected Axl's 2001 olive branch to do 3 songs on Chinese Democracy, Marc is closer to Axl than Slash eventhough Slash was his childhood friend, etc

Marc: Axl views Duff as trustworthy (eventhough Duff erroneously still believes Axl victimized him out of the GnR name)

Marc: Axl did not victimize Slash and Duff in signing over their rights to the GnR name, Axl was only trying to protect himself in the case of their deaths due to drugs and booze

Marc: Axl is not controlling in the creative music process but he is a perfectionist

Marc: Axl loves me and takes care of me, Axl always sends me the latest new technological toys, if there's anything I need Axl will help, Axl supported my book when the other members did not care

I don't know about you, but from Marc Canter's account, it seems like Axl was the most reasonable one of them all.

So again I must ask again, where is your evidence to support your claims about Axl the evil dictator?

My latest proof is Marc Canter's latest interview: http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

Let me paraphrase

Marc: Izzy is paranoid, unreliable, scared of cameras, the drug addict that got Slash, Duff, Steven hooked, goes into hiding (where's izzy?), after Izzy sobered up he hated being around Slash/Duff because of their drugs and booze problems, Izzy was afraid of going bankrupt and being liable for GnR's problems, he quit on Axl and Slash to join another band in the early days before GnR, etc

Marc: Slash is a liar, Slash lies to make himself look cool, Slash lies when he is boxed into a corner, Slash ruined the 1996 reunion sessions, Slash rejected Axl's 2001 olive branch to do 3 songs on Chinese Democracy, Marc is closer to Axl than Slash eventhough Slash was his childhood friend, etc

Marc: Axl views Duff as trustworthy (eventhough Duff erroneously still believes Axl victimized him out of the GnR name)

Marc: Axl did not victimize Slash and Duff in signing over their rights to the GnR name, Axl was only trying to protect himself in the case of their deaths due to drugs and booze

Marc: Axl is not controlling in the creative music process but he is a perfectionist

Marc: Axl loves me and takes care of me, Axl always sends me the latest new technological toys, if there's anything I need Axl will help, Axl supported my book when the other members did not care

I don't know about you, but from Marc Canter's account, it seems like Axl was the most reasonable one of them all.

So again I must ask again, where is your evidence to support your claims about Axl the evil dictator?

Bugger off Warchild! :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT63Nq2ZTOU

Edited by Dazey

So trying to call Axl a "dictator" is nothing more than your brainwashed opinion. It is not supported by facts at all!

Duff, Izzy and Slash have all stated in interviews that one of the reasons they quit was because of Axl's meglomania and need to control everything. Then of course there is the small matter of Axl fighting for control of the GnR brand name........ What other proof do you need?

Let me paraphrase

You know after reading Marc's interview these Axl vs. Slash arguments are meaningless for me as the issue is much more complex then you or I are making them out to be. Both Axl and Slash have done things to piss each other off and to Marc's point Axl needs to seek counseling to get over his unnatural hatred of Slash and they both need to sit down with a mediator to talk things out......They both think they are right so there is no right or wrong in this situation just a case of miscommunication which needs to be overcome......

Marc that was the best interview I have read about GnR bar none and one of the best about a band I have ever read! thanks for opening up and sharing your insight!

I have to say it really answered a lot of questions and opened my eyes up to the Axl /Slash relationship and what went on just before Slash quit and where Axl's mind has been since that day................

After reading that I can't see the point of the Axl vs. Slash pissing matches we have on this forum anymore as the dynamics are obviously much more complex then any of us ever imagined and both Axl and Slash have their own unique points of view......

Have a couple of questions for you related to some of the things you mentioned in the interview.........

Marc: Axl was right ... Slash is a LIAR

1. Did Axl intially reject all of the Snakepit material, like Slash has claimed, only to come back later and say he wanted to work on 3 of the songs at which point Slash had already commited it to the Snakepit project or did Slash refuse to let him work on any of the material right from the start because he did not want Axl to change anything and then he released it as Snakepit?

Wow. Even after reading Marc's interview you still can't let go off your Slash bias.

There was a 1996 re-union. Izzy was back too. It lasted about 2 weeks

Supposedly Izzy had about 50 songs. But they were never heard as at this reunion session.He doesn't know for sure why.

Slash had an album full of songs he brought to the table. Axl liked 3-4 of the songs. Slash was pissed that Axl didn't like all his songs.

Marc: Axl was into at least three of them and maybe four but then Slash got big headed and just took them all and said “Fine, I’m gonna go do Snake Pit with them”. I know that Axl was really upset that Slash quit and that Slash took those particular songs because those were songs that were written explicitly for Guns N’ Roses. Just because Axl didn’t want all of them didn’t mean he didn’t wanna work with some of them. I mean, at that point Slash was a little big headed after being out on the road and playing in front of hundreds of thousands of people it starts to go to your head.

2. You mentioned in a post about 6 months ago when I asked if you would ever release all the audio and video you recorded that you want to do a box set for the fans but that there are things to be worked out first but you thought it would happen one day. Since this would be my Holy Grail of old Guns material has there been any progress on releasing that material and is Axl's desire to bury the old band what is holding things up?

And your Slash bias strikes again!

It is not that Axl wants to bury the old band. It is that Axl is still promoting GnR and does not want anything to ruin it.

Take Marc's book for instance. Axl was the only member who supported Marc's work. Axl gave Marc permission to release his Reckless Road book, but only after Axl had release Chinese Democracy. Unfortunately, the timing did not work out as expected, and Marc released his book before Chinese Democracy. This was unintentional on Marc's part.

Just like Axl is willing to forgive Slash if only Slash is willing to do the right things, this suggests that Axl would be OK with Marc releasing these videos and audios of the early days some time in the future.

One last comment on the interview...you do realize this has now become the new Torah/ Bible for the fans on the forum and you will now be quoted constantly in the endless Axl vs. Slash battles?.......... :lol:

Marc just showed that Axl Rose is not the bad guy that you guys all claim based on Slash lies.

Marc just showed that Axl Rose is not the bad guy that you guys all claim based on Slash lies.

You type remarkably well for somebody in a strait jacket! :awesome:

Let me paraphrase

You know after reading Marc's interview these Axl vs. Slash arguments are meaningless for me as the issue is much more complex then you or I are making them out to be. Both Axl and Slash have done things to piss each other off and to Marc's point Axl needs to seek counseling to get over his unnatural hatred of Slash and they both need to sit down with a mediator to talk things out......They both think they are right so there is no right or wrong in this situation just a case of miscommunication which needs to be overcome......

The difference between Axl and Slash: Axl did not go crying and lying to the media like Slash did.

Slash was intentionally trying to get the media and fans to view Axl as the bad guy. Slash even admitted that he allow his bitterness and anger get the best of him.

That is why Axl has been able to reconcile with Duff. Axl trusts Duff and knows that Duff did not malicious try to turn the media and fans against Axl.

Marc: Axl was right ... Slash is a LIAR

Wow. Even after reading Marc's interview you still can't let go off your Slash bias.

There was a 1996 re-union. Izzy was back too. It lasted about 2 weeks

Supposedly Izzy had about 50 songs. But they were never heard as at this reunion session.He doesn't know for sure why.

Slash had an album full of songs he brought to the table. Axl liked 3-4 of the songs. Slash was pissed that Axl didn't like all his songs.

Marc: Axl was into at least three of them and maybe four but then Slash got big headed and just took them all and said “Fine, I’m gonna go do Snake Pit with them”. I know that Axl was really upset that Slash quit and that Slash took those particular songs because those were songs that were written explicitly for Guns N’ Roses. Just because Axl didn’t want all of them didn’t mean he didn’t wanna work with some of them. I mean, at that point Slash was a little big headed after being out on the road and playing in front of hundreds of thousands of people it starts to go to your head.

And your Slash bias strikes again!

It is not that Axl wants to bury the old band. It is that Axl is still promoting GnR and does not want anything to ruin it.

Take Marc's book for instance. Axl was the only member who supported Marc's work. Axl gave Marc permission to release his Reckless Road book, but only after Axl had release Chinese Democracy. Unfortunately, the timing did not work out as expected, and Marc released his book before Chinese Democracy. This was unintentional on Marc's part.

Just like Axl is willing to forgive Slash if only Slash is willing to do the right things, this suggests that Axl would be OK with Marc releasing these videos and audios of the early days some time in the future.

If I had the time I would respond to all your rants just to keep you going and fuck with you but I have more important things to do but please carry on as your arguing with yourself is very entertaining............ :awesome: .................

Edited by classicrawker

What you say is very true but I just have one question (for you and Marc I suppose), why does Axl NEED to seek "help" to get over his "hatred" of Slash? Isn't it better for him to just stay away from Slash?

The way I've seen it for years is that if he hates the guy and wants nothing to do with him then fair enough. Is this hate some how affecting Axl (other than hurting his career I suppose)? Is it in anyway seriously deteriorating his mental health?