hopkins

incredible interview with marc canter

I find this whole thread really interesting and it reminded me of the following:

Sometime in the early 90s (after UYI but before SI) (also after the Gateshead UK concert) I read an article regarding Guns in a magazine. Another rock star was being interviewed and GN'R came up. I remember his stating that Slash was pretty annoyed that he wasn't considered the frontman of GN'R. I remember my friend and I arguing about this as he was adamant that Slash was whereas I always though Axl was. We agreed that both needed to be there to be GN'R. Anyone remember reading this?

It may have been Frances Rossi from Status Quo as I remember him saying he had a real problem with Axl and that "if Axl Rose is a singer then so am I". I never got that quote at the time but always stook with me.

Cc

I'm glad you got to meet him. He is a very nice guy. Even through the smallest thing can push him off the edge, it still doesn't change the fact the he is a good person. It's always great to see him laughing about something while he is telling a funny story. It's also great to see him interacting with the fans. A lot of people think that he won't give them the time of day , but he does.

Hey Marc,

Thanks for your insight and educated opinion. I've been a long time fan of both the old band and new band. I agree that meeting Axl in person, well, for the lack of a better word, humanizes the guy. I was fortunate to meet Axl in Toronto a few years ago at the aftershow party. Ended up partying with him, Tommy and Axl's entourage until the wee hours of the next morning. When in the context of party and festive atmosphere, the guy was gracious, lively and very entertaining to be around. He never stops laughing and telling stories. It's a shame more people do not get a personal experience with the Axl as it would definitely change any misconceptions they have of the guy as he relates to other famous and non-famous individuals. I will attest that Axl was very gracious when I told him how many shows I had been to (at the time, 13) and that it was surreal meeting the guy who was my motivation for learning to play the piano. And to repeat, he definitely loves to laugh and tells a lot of stories. Unfortunately for me I remember very little of them as I was unbelievably hammered (it took a lot of liquid courage for me to walk up to Axl's table and include myself in the conversation with Axl, Sebastian Bach and one of Axl's friends - took a lot more to stay as the four of us joked around for two hours - might have been the booze but they seemed to be enjoying my company as well). Definitely one of the more memorable memories of my life and I'll always appreciate Axl and everyone involved for not taking issue with me being there (it blew me away that nobody stopped and asked who I was and what I was doing there). Other than my little fandom admission to Axl, I think they appreciated that I wasn't there as a superfan but just there to participate in the festive atmosphere.

Unfortunately my admiration for the guy has taken a knock in how Axl handled the HOF induction. Not to start a debate about it here, but I'm curious how you saw the whole thing going down. I know it was nearly impossible for Axl to show up considering the circumstances surrounding the induction, but the fact that he withdrew his name from the process struck me as going over the line. I don't understand how Axl can claim that Guns' induction was the fans' victory but then asked to be completely removed from it. Does he not see how that might taint the fans' celebration of the band that means a lot to so many? It appears to me that Axl wants the fans to remember the band as he envisions it now, not what it use to be. Do you believe that if the HOF had given into Axl's stipulations that he would have shown up, or at the very least, not made an issue of his inclusion under the name "Guns N' Roses?" I know next to nothing about the guy as a person other than what he chooses to reveal and from the brief night of downing vodka sodas with him, but I have to question his appreciation for his fanbase. How much consideration does he give to his fanbase? Is this something that comes up at all in any of your conversations? And if he says he cares a lot, how does he reconcile his concern for us with his actions (starting shows unbelievably late, withdrawing his name from the HOF induction, the lack of any information concerning the band's status, not properly preparing for shows that begin a given tour)?

It's interesting that Axl is great with fans on a one-to-one basis and not so good with Guns N' Roses fandom. What I took away from my meeting with Axl is the irony that while my encounter with Axl humanizes him to the fan, his encounter with the fan likely humanizes us to him. At least, that's my hope. I don't think anyone's to blame, just a lot of misunderstanding and a deficit of communication between the two parties.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks alot.. Read it.. Could have had more on GNR, but nice read !

Would also have love to hear more about Motleys taste for the occult and what happened, in greater detail, than what was mentioned in the book !

Always found those stories fascinating, and astounding how much of that stuff there is in music..

Thanks for doing them !

Maybe next time, we could suggest a question or two ?

I just actually read that whole interview. Great read.

Marc - Yesterday, when I asked if Duff could be a possible mediator, I didn't realize that you had already theorized the same in your interview. Given what we can see, it appears as though Duff is the most mentally grounded and may have the best chances of bringing things together, if he were interested.

Also, it's good to see confirmation from someome who would know that Slash would do a reunion in a heartbeat. I think this was already blatantly clear to most, but there were still a few citing his 2007 book as proof that "he wouldn't necessarily do it because of the late starts". Yeeah.

I disagree with those of you who are saying that these Axl / Slash issues appear even more complex than any of us could have imagined. From my perspective and based on Marc's interview, it appears as though most of the issues are comprised of unfortunate misunderstandings and differences of perspectives. The explanation given about Doug being a middle man between Axl and Slash and the issue of signing over the band name makes alot of sense. He [Doug] probably did say something like "sign this or Axl won't go on, which will result in a riot". That would make both Axl and Slash's recollection of events accurate. It does makes sense. And it's extremely unfortunate that such a relatively minor thing has become such a magnified sore spot in this whole soap opera.

One of my favorite parts of the interview was about Izzy and his efforts, or lack thereof, in regards to your book. Classic. :lol: I don't know what else to say

This is where you and I disagree. I think the whole relationship was more complex then any of us imagined. Many of us, yourself included based on reading your posts, based our arguments assuming Axl was the villain without understanding the reasons behind his behavior. We saw things as black and white which, based on Marc's interviews they are not.

Wow, just saw this post and was surprised by what I read. Kudos CR. I agree completely. Like most things, there are shades of gray, not just pure black and white in this situation.

Ali

Marc - Yesterday, when I asked if Duff could be a possible mediator, I didn't realize that you had already theorized the same in your interview. Given what we can see, it appears as though Duff is the most mentally grounded and may have the best chances of bringing things together, if he were interested.

Also, it's good to see confirmation from someome who would know that Slash would do a reunion in a heartbeat. I think this was already blatantly clear to most, but there were still a few citing his 2007 book as proof that "he wouldn't necessarily do it because of the late starts". Yeeah.

I disagree with those of you who are saying that these Axl / Slash issues appear even more complex than any of us could have imagined. From my perspective and based on Marc's interview, it appears as though most of the issues are comprised of unfortunate misunderstandings and differences of perspectives. The explanation given about Doug being a middle man between Axl and Slash and the issue of signing over the band name makes alot of sense. He [Doug] probably did say something like "sign this or Axl won't go on, which will result in a riot". That would make both Axl and Slash's recollection of events accurate. It does makes sense. And it's extremely unfortunate that such a relatively minor thing has become such a magnified sore spot in this whole soap opera.

One of my favorite parts of the interview was about Izzy and his efforts, or lack thereof, in regards to your book. Classic. :lol: I don't know what else to say

This is where you and I disagree. I think the whole relationship was more complex then any of us imagined. Many of us, yourself included based on reading your posts, based our arguments assuming Axl was the villain without understanding the reasons behind his behavior. We saw things as black and white which, based on Marc's interviews they are not.

Wow, just saw this post and was surprised by what I read. Kudos CR. I agree completely. Like most things, there are shades of gray, not just pure black and white in this situation.

Ali

Thanks Ali, but don't get to excited mate as I still think Axl is an asshole which was reinforced for me by his HoF letter but I do have a better understanding of why he acts as he does and I feel sad for him being so consumed by hate.

Still waiting for you to admit he is wrong about anything...now that would be surprising.... :lol:

Edited by classicrawker

Ali

Thanks Ali, but don't get to excited mate as I still think Axl is an asshole which was reinforced for me by his HoF letter but I do have a better understanding of why he acts as he does and I feel sad for him being so consumed by hate.

Still waiting for you to admit he is wrong about anything...now that would be surprising.... :lol:

I think he's wrong every time he's hours late for a show. But, for me personally, it's not that big a deal so I don't feel the need to hammer that issue over and and over again like some. That's just one example that comes to mind.

Ali

Marc another question since Beta and her family are so close to Axl has anyone tried to speak to them about getting professional help for Axl? Surely they must be aware of his nature and are concerned.

I have told Beta many times, but nothing ever gets done. She thinks it's all Slash's fault. I told her it's not about who's fault it is, it's about how to deal with it and move on

I wonder what does Beta do now