hopkins

incredible interview with marc canter

not seen this posted on here

but this is fucking incredible and nails down once and for all the whole axl v slash thing and where they're both coming from

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

and this is news to me

It’s similar to the situation with Chinese Democracy. It was finished in 2001. I mean finished. There was a possibility that Slash could have played on a few tracks if he were willing to apologize to Axl and in the press for the things that he had made public about Axl allegedly blackmailing him. Axl was cracking the door open and saying “If you apologize publicly for the things you said about me forcing you out I have three songs and I’d like you to play on them”. They were three songs that Slash had written on and Axl wanted to do something with them and include them on Chinese Democracy which would have been so cool. That was never going to happen because Slash was too “cool” to apologize publicly first of all and second of all because half the things he wanted Slash to apologize for never happened, at least not in Slash’s recollection. Axl’s burying any option to release stuff with Slash’s likeness and that extended to his participation or interest in my book.

If you apologize publicly for the things you said about me forcing you out I have three songs and I’d like you to play on them

I though they never spoke to each other since 1996. Unless this is not accurate.

but this is fucking incredible and nails down once and for all the whole axl v slash thing and where they're both coming from

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

and this is news to me

It’s similar to the situation with Chinese Democracy. It was finished in 2001. I mean finished. There was a possibility that Slash could have played on a few tracks if he were willing to apologize to Axl and in the press for the things that he had made public about Axl allegedly blackmailing him. Axl was cracking the door open and saying “If you apologize publicly for the things you said about me forcing you out I have three songs and I’d like you to play on them”. They were three songs that Slash had written on and Axl wanted to do something with them and include them on Chinese Democracy which would have been so cool. That was never going to happen because Slash was too “cool” to apologize publicly first of all and second of all because half the things he wanted Slash to apologize for never happened, at least not in Slash’s recollection. Axl’s burying any option to release stuff with Slash’s likeness and that extended to his participation or interest in my book.

What interesting about this... if you remember from Axl's first HOF open letter... From Axl's letter "Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion." IMO that quote is looking for Slash to come out and apologize or take back some things said about Axl.

If you apologize publicly for the things you said about me forcing you out I have three songs and I’d like you to play on them

I though they never spoke to each other since 1996. Unless this is not accurate.

perhaps it was said or suggested through a middle-man or management

which makes the slash doorstep visit after the contraband tour even more incredible, if axl had already reached out and been turned down

Whatever Duff did, and I’m aware he did some bad things, I know he would not touch heroin. Axl was even into it for a while

Interesting...

We know Axl was into it for a while. Didn't he once say that after recording he spent a couple of weeks in a room fucking and shooting up while listening to Led Zeppelin?

And Duff had an aversion to heroin due to what happened with his gf.

Edited by KionaSko

Thanks for sharing........I don't know if that interview was posted here but I am pretty sure Marc mentioned the possibility of Slash playing on some ChiDem songs in a post here or on MYGNR before.

I find it interesting that Axl would want Slash to apologize for claiming he forced him out of the band when I have never read in any interviews or in Slash's book where he actually said that. he did give his reasons why he quit and they were related to Axl going on stage late, not treating the others as equals etc. NBut I never read anywhere that Slash claimed Axl forced him out of the band.

And as far as Axl blackmailing Slash Duff stated the same thing in his book and Zutaut also claims this happened. Now whether it is true or not is another matter but I find it odd Axl singles out Slash for this while he seemingly has made up with Duff.

Duff and Izzy cited some of the same reasons they quit so I am not sure I get where Axl thinks Slash lied about why he left the band...They all basically had the same issue with Axl............

I think there are deeper issues than this for Axl to hate Slash so much to this day...........

Just think of the diiferent reaction CD would have gotten, if Slash was on three or so tracks and signed off on Axls vision. I really believe that it would be a very differnt ballgame at this point.....SO many could of , would of , should of, and what ifs, in GNR land.

And as far as Axl blackmailing Slash Duff stated the same thing in his book and Zutaut also claims this happened. Now whether it is true or not is another matter but I find it odd Axl singles out Slash for this while he seemingly has made up with Duff.

It's an odd situation that cuz even though Slash and Duff essentially give the same story they give two different dates as to when that happened, which is a little weird cuz you would think they'd be 100% unanimous on such a major issue (unless of course one is mistaken and it's some sort of a typo).

I too think it's also very strange that Axl's cool with Duff but not Slash which could mean a number of things...

a.) There is an even bigger issue between Slash and Axl that did not involve Duff.

b.) In "Axl world" Duff wasn't that important of a factor and thus wasn't as offended/hurt by what he said.

c.) Duff and Axl have at some point had words and sorted it out amongst themselves (apologies and all that). Something that has not yet occurred between Slash and Axl (and probably never will).

Edited by KionaSko

Maybe it's an "incredible interview"... but I'm not reading that because I have a life. :awesome:

Edited by izzygirl

duff, izzy, steven etc are just a blip on axl's radar and not really relevant in the grand scheme of things

but slash has been a constant presence in the mainstream press and a reminder to the general public about the whole split etc

hence being the devil, or a cancer best removed

and this is news to me

What interesting about this... if you remember from Axl's first HOF open letter... From Axl's letter "Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion." IMO that quote is looking for Slash to come out and apologize or take back some things said about Axl.

What about Axl? Doesn't he has to apologize himself because of what he said about Slash (cancer) a couple of years ago?

Edited by droezle

Let's see if Marc has anything to say, would be cool to see how much this interview has been mediated :)

Yes there is a lot of small miss quotes and some speculation fill ins. I talked to the guy for about 2 hours. He also put a lots of words in my mouth and some things were either misunderstood or got twisted a bit. Also a lot of it was right.

Marc

Let's see if Marc has anything to say, would be cool to see how much this interview has been mediated :)

Yes there is a lot of small miss quotes and some speculation fill ins. I talked to the guy for about 2 hours. He also put a lots of words in my mouth and some things were either misunderstood or got twisted a bit. Also a lot of it was right.

Marc

Can you clarify what is fact and what is fiction?

Marc

Can you clarify what is fact and what is fiction?

Yep Marc it would be great (if you have a bit of time) about what things were misunderstood etc. Great interview by the way, and maybe you and Duff can get Slash and Axl to sort out their differences! The world will owe you a lot if you manage to do that one day.

he insisted that it was going to be better than the old band and that Robin Finck was his Randy Rhoads and compared it to Ozzy finding Randy.

That shows how delusional Axl is/was about his employees.

But he’s financially well off right? He has no real urgent need to give a shit or pay any bills right?

Marc: I’m not so sure about that. I mean it costs a lot of money to have the life he has and the entourage he has. There has to be more money coming in than going out and he’s aware that a reunion tour would bring in hundreds of millions of dollars that WOULD UNDOUBTEDLY make him well off and secure.

That's what I think too.

Marc: I just want them to talk. I want them to talk because I think that if they were just able to talk they would see that their problems are not so hard to solve or understand. Their biggest problems are actually simple so that’s what makes it so hard to believe. Duff is a stand up guy, and Axl trusts him, if there is any hope it is in Duff bridging the gap.

:awesome:

Edited by axlfan88

Marc

What about the Slash lies part? I've always got the impression that Slash basically tells white lies to get out of questions that he either doesn't want to answer, or questions that make him feel uncomfortable. I was kind of surprised you said it that bluntly in the interview. Were those your words, or were they edited?

Edited by Gunn

Marc

What about the Slash lies part? I've always got the impression that Slash basically tells white lies to get out of questions that he either doesn't want to answer, or questions that make him feel uncomfortable. I was kind of surprised you said it that bluntly in the interview. Were those your words, or were they edited?

White lies is a good description rather than a complete flat out lie. Maybe a skirting around the truth in order to not upset an apple cart or something. I'm sure the usual 3 or 4 muppets will jump straight in to say 'Waaa told you so, Slash lies about everything...!' Truth is no one can possibly comment until they have walked a mile in anyone of these guys shoes and know 100% their reasoning for saying anything at all.

I wonder if Mark realises that saying 'Slash lies!' in such an outright manner will do absolutely nothing to help the cause he supoosedly supports i.e getting Axl and Slash to sort their differences. It just gives the Axl drones so much cannon fodder to bash a guy that Marc calls his friend. I'd be surprised if either Axl or Slash read this they'd be too impressed tbh.

Add to that the fact that he has this army of people who are in his inner circle who personally are, of course, invested in the new lineup and basically are agreeing with him and even the segment of fans who you’ve seen siding with him. They’re pouring gasoline in the fire and reaffirming what Axl believes to be fact even though the vast majority would love to see a reunion.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: