Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Axl's in a really difficult spot with new music

I think Axl has brought upon himself a really difficult situation when it comes to releasing new music.

He has a bunch of songs (if you deny this, you're insane) that were composed by himself and people who are no longer in the band. To release them as-is would be an insult to those who are currently in the band and would also halt momentum with the new band. It's hard for fans/listeners to identify with the music when those who made the music are no longer even part of the name, Guns N' Roses, that is put on the album. A listener can't think something like "Wow, this Buckethead solo is great! I can't wait to hear what he can do with them live and on future albums.." or (from a more casual view) "Wow, this solo is great! Who's playing for this new GNR album? Let me search on the internet..." (only to see pictures of DJ Ashba and BBF). My examples might be poor but I think it's clear that especially for more casual listeners, listening to and following new-GNR is just awkward.

Live is another story. It just doesn't feel right listening to the current band play CD songs (yes, I know it might feel even worse for them to play AFD songs but they're obligated to considering the name of the band). Bumblefoot may have thrown down a few fills and shitty solos down but really, Chinese Democracy is NOT his album.

Also, you have to wonder if there's any legal issues with Axl releasing music performed or written by former members. There'd probably be a lot of whogetspaidandhowmuch issues, ESPECIALLY if Ashba gets to shit on the songs. Axl is a magnet to lawsuits and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a concern of his. What if he's really as selfish as some of you think and he doesn't want Buckethead and Finck to be paid for CD2 sales?

On the flipside, I don't think Axl is inspired to write music with these guys which is part of the reason we have this endless tour.

tl;dr Axl's inability to get along with and/or release music efficiently has forced his band members away from him and this has forced him into an awkward position when it comes to releasing or making music.

He could avoid the different lineup controversy by releasing it as "1998-2004: The Chinese Democracy Sessions" or something.

I actually believe, mostly from Eddie Trunk saying so, that Axl truly wants to embrace this current lineup (hence part of why he didnt attend the HoF as that would also halt newGNR momentum). Knowing Axl's personality in addition to the legal issues that he seems to become part of, releasing that would be yet another adventure (not as much as ChiDem but still hard). It could take Axl 4 years just to get those songs mixed, mastered, licensed, get artwork, and just release it. Then, he'd have to do that AGAIN in addition to writing a whole new album which could take a while in itself.

If he did what you said, I think we'd see an album written by today's lineup in 2020.

He could avoid the different lineup controversy by releasing it as "1998-2004: The Chinese Democracy Sessions" or something.

This.

Even Ron said that if he were in charge, he'd put out the rest of the Chinese era stuff before recording with the current lineup, "and fast."

I just want to hear the following songs at some point in my lifetime, complete with Robin & Bucket on guitars. However Axl is able to do that, I'd be cool with it...

Atlas Shrugged

The General

Going Down

Thyme

Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone)

Seven

Silkworms

Quick Song

Ides Of March

Jackie Chan (I'm still convinced Axl was joking about that title)

Beta's Barn

Oklahoma/Berlin

Oh My God (with Bucket)

Catcher (Brian May version, remastered)

I think he doesn't release anything because he is just lazy. These Greatest Hits Tours are a lot more easy and pleasant for him than even thinking about putting out new music.

I actually believe, mostly from Eddie Trunk saying so, that Axl truly wants to embrace this current lineup (hence part of why he didnt attend the HoF as that would also halt newGNR momentum).

Hahahaha! We all know that Axl's no show at the HOF had fuck all to do with the current lineup and everything to do with him being a fucking crybaby who was too scared to be in the same room as Slash. :lol:

I think he doesn't release anything because he is just lazy. These Greatest Hits Tours are a lot more easy and pleasant for him than even thinking about putting out new music.

Blunt assumption, but sometimes I really don't think that's too far off from the truth. I mean, the songs are fucking done. :crazy:

Maybe the hof wanted Axl to be early, not just on time, so he snubbedit :lol:

Maybe he didn't even snub it and he just hasn't got there yet? :awesome:

One would think that if Axl really wanted to "move on" with the current band, he would have at least tried it. It's been 4 years since Chinese Democracy. He has got plenty of time, all 2009, all 2011, time between tours...

For some reason I believe Axl's not dumb enough to put out CD II without at least a couple of tracks from GN'R2012, because that would bury them, but on the other hand, can anybody picture Axl going to the studio again and writing NEW lyrics for DJ's crappy rock songs? I can't. :shrugs:

I find it funny how the Chinese Democracy regording process lasted "only" 6 years (it's not that much if you consider 3 albums) while when it was released the media made it look like if the recording process went between 1993 and 2008.

The reason there`s no new music is, there will be no new music. Axl will tour with the guys for this, next year........done. Then CD is over. Nothing left to do anymore. no point to star it all over again with CD2, for half of arenas. As long as they sell, they will tour . it`s all about money. .......for hole "GNR family".

Edited by Idiootti

I just want to hear the following songs at some point in my lifetime, complete with Robin & Bucket on guitars. However Axl is able to do that, I'd be cool with it...

Atlas Shrugged

The General

Going Down

Thyme

Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone)

Seven

Silkworms

Quick Song

Ides Of March

Jackie Chan (I'm still convinced Axl was joking about that title)

Beta's Barn

Oklahoma/Berlin

Oh My God (with Bucket)

Catcher (Brian May version, remastered)

yeah i want to hear those songs especially soul monster with the whole "closest thing axl has come to sabbath"

yeah i want to hear those songs especially soul monster with the whole "closest thing axl has come to sabbath"

I'd be happy to hear anything from Axl that's the closest thing to not sounding like shit.

The Cult put out two 5 and 7 disc limited edition box sets of outttakes which span their career and included the complete scrapped "Peace" album which was rerecorded as the "Electric" album. I have both box sets and they are brilliant IMHO and sold out long ago.

I agree with Bumble on this one just release the rest of the stuff and then record a new album with the current band.

Why not release all the ChiDem session stuff as a limited edition box set and include the rerecorded AFD. It would sell out instantly and he would have a clean slate to move forward.

I find it funny how the Chinese Democracy regording process lasted "only" 6 years (it's not that much if you consider 3 albums) while when it was released the media made it look like if the recording process went between 1993 and 2008.

Well technically it did if you count the vocal and Bumblefoot overdubs.

Why the vocals? If you add Bumblefoot and Frank you add 3 more years, still very different from 15 years.

Well technically it did if you count the vocal and Bumblefoot overdubs.

Why the vocals? If you add Bumblefoot and Frank you add 3 more years, still very different from 15 years.

Vox on Shack and Sorry were not recorded before 2004.

Is that confirmed? I could understand Sorry considering when Bach came in but what about Shacklers?

Axl's probably never going to release music again anyway. I almost thought he would when he did that interview where he said they'd be sorting label issues out, but now I have no hope since the endless tour seems to be progressing right on schedule.

I Really feel that axls thrown himself under a bus here,

I think he's his own worst enemy.. it's obvious he has a great band behind him now, but i can't help feel like he has no idea/ or confidence to record new stuff with them.. maybe axl puts on a brave face on the exterior, but just by looking at the whole situation, everything thats happened.. it seems like he's lost his way.

He needs to put more faith into the band that he has when it comes to making new music.. i understand that releasing chinese democracy was probably one of the hardest things he's ever done.. you could have released an absolute masterpiece but everyone would still say "wheres slash.etc" so respect to him for being brave enough to release new stuff. it's great we all got to hear axls voice again.

It's frustrating. As far as it's known, nothing but Axl is standing in the new music's way...

From a recent BBF interview... even he is craving to do something new.

Q: Tell us a musician you would like to participate in a solo song of yours?

A: Last year I released “The Pink Panther Theme” and it has pretty much all the members of the band except Dizzy (ed: Reed, keyboards), Chris (Ed: Pitman, keyboards) and Axl. Although I’d like to do something with *all* of them (laughs)! Yes, the next people I’d like to make music with, would be my band and my singer. I would like to be writing, recording and putting out music with Axl, Tommy, Frank, Richard, DJ, Chris and Dizzy. That’s what I’d like to be doing. I feel that the current band is so strong and has so much to offer that we should really be writing songs, together.

http://www.hit-channel.com/interviewbumblefoot-guns-n-rosessolo/3893

EDIT: but yeah, I can't imagine a new album under the GN'R name would do well with the same level of promotion CD had. Axl would totally have to do a lifestyle change and start giving out interviews, do videos, etc.

Edited by Jyrgen

Axl has backed himself into a corner. To me, his biggest problem is that he doesn't have the confidence anymore. The BH line up was Axl's shot at making new music and an opportunity to be taken 'seriously' as a solo act (under the name GN'R which is messed up I know). This current line up doesn't seem to be going anywhere other than touring around the world with the same old setlist.

Axl needs to work out what direction he wants to go in. I don't think he is even sure himself. I feel sorry for him.

I actually believe, mostly from Eddie Trunk saying so, that Axl truly wants to embrace this current lineup (hence part of why he didnt attend the HoF as that would also halt newGNR momentum).

Hahahaha! We all know that Axl's no show at the HOF had fuck all to do with the current lineup and everything to do with him being a fucking crybaby who was too scared to be in the same room as Slash. :lol:

Yeah but one other important thing. I totally agree with the point that it would be suicide for Axl to do anything with the old members because that's all most would be interested in from there on in. No one is going to bother going to see his current touring circus otherwise. If he goes back to them that's it.

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

if axl wants to release another album, he needs to go cap in hand to the record label and beg for the money to finish recording/mixing/mastering for starters